Godzuki26 Wife's Cannondale Evo HiMod 48cm build [3.96 kg] or [8.73 lbs]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

PinaRene

by PinaRene

4ibanez wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:12 pm
Wow - this thread just gets better! Are you going to ride this bike if you can't get your wife back on the saddle?
Haha, when this beautiful ride is ready she will not have a change to ride it :smartass: . Godzuki will.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I cannot fit this bike because it is a female geometry frame. The top tube is shorter than the male equivalent. I could make it work with a 130mm Wert stem but I am not sure if they will ever be available.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Still waiting for all my parts. But that is ok because it gave me the opportunity to attempt polishing again. It came out much better and I decided I will not be anodizing as I like the polished chrome look. I also had time to tune down the M6 cable adjuster bolt. I ditched the plastic knob and the spring. The bolt was then shortened a little and the head was shaved down with some holes drilled. I ordered a bunch of these M6 adjuster bolts in different colors but I am liking how the polished bolt looks with the rest of the derailleur. With this bolt, I am below 100 grams.

Original Red: 3.31 grams
Tuned: 1.14 grams

3.31 grams - 1.14 grams = 2.17 grams saved

ImageFelt AR FRD

C36

by C36

godzuki26 wrote:Still waiting for all my parts. But that is ok because it gave me the opportunity to attempt polishing again. It came out much better and I decided I will not be anodizing as I like the polished chrome look.
A solution to have a even surface would be to sand-blast them. Even if technically it removes a bit of material I doubt you will have real weight gain...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

godzuki26

by godzuki26

C36 - I needed a metal polish after using the Dremel polish. The results came back much more shinier. If I bead blast I will get a dull matte look which I am not looking for.

ImageFelt AR FRD

1415chris

by 1415chris

What a difference! Looks great.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Thanks Chris!!! I received the AFC parts you were so kind to set me up with. Once again, thank you so much for helping me out. Those parts will make the difference in this build. Before I got into contact with you, I had already placed an order from R2 Bike and ordered some Carbonice pulleys along with some other goodies. A couple days earlier and I would not have needed to order the Carbonice pulleys.

I am still waiting for an order from Toronto Cycles. If you look at the R2 - Bike order, I have 5 colors of the M6 x 10mm conical head bolts (pinch bolt). I ordered these from R2 because Toronto Cycles did not have M6 bolts with the Conical/Taper head. So, if you can imagine, my Toronto order consists of all 5 colors in the M4x20 and M4x15 sized bolts. Also, from Toronto I am waiting for matching barrel adjusters and derailleur pulley bolts in all 5 colors. I ordered from R2 the brand name Carbon Ti M4x20 and M4x15 bolts to see if they will be lighter than the Toronto brand. We will see. For now, here is my spread.

Last edited by godzuki26 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

The real reason I was willing to pay 25 euros shipping and place an order from R2 bikes was for this little piece by Hopp Carbon Parts. Hopp is known for tuning mountain bike parts only. The description did not mention that it is compatible with SRAM Red. However, after studying the pics, I gambled and ordered it anyways. It turns out that it is a perfect fit.

Stock aluminum Red: 2.61 grams
Hopp carbon: 1.16 grams

2.61 grams - 1.16 grams = 1.45 grams savings

Last edited by godzuki26 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

My gram scales read lighter than 1415chris scale shots. This is a good thing :thumbup:

Stock Red: 5.48 grams
AFC bike: 3.45 grams

5.48 grams - 3.45 grams = 2.03 grams savings.

Last edited by godzuki26 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I should not have wasted $$$ on these Carbonice Hanni and Nanni pulleys but as mentioned they were ordered before the AFC bike hook up. They are beautifully made and currently the lightest available on the market. Lighter than the unavailable Rothscheck pulleys and much sexier. Fibrelytes unfortunately are no longer available too. Of course it is necessary to post weights as this is Weight Weenies.

Stock Red: 21.84 grams
Rothsheck pulleys: 8.39 grams
Carbonice pulleys: 8.00 grams

21.84 grams - 8.00 grams = 13.84 grams savings

Upper pulley with M4 carbon spacer:

Lower pulley with M5 carbon spacer:

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

AFC pulley time. I do recall some issues with the bearings coming out during rides and the pulleys slipping off the chain. I will press the bearings out and re-glue them with some industrial strength adhesive just to be safe. Wow these things are amazingly light. Weight Weenie gold.

Stock Red: 21.84 grams
Rothsheck pulleys: 8.39 grams
Carbonice pulleys: 8.00 grams
AFC pulleys: 5.93 grams

21.84 grams - 5.93 grams = 15.91 grams savings!!!!

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I am spending a little too much money on this derailleur project. I am nearing SRAM RED Etap rear derailleur retail price on all the stuff I bought. You can all see that I am a gram chaser from the 2003-2007 era.

Stock setup:

Rothsheck setup:

Carbonice setup:

AFC setup:

ImageFelt AR FRD

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

That polishing is brilliant!!

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@dereksmalls - Thanks! I am making it as shiney as possible so I don't have to buy my wife another Cartier Love bracelet. LOL

My idea to make a lighter barrel adjuster did not work. I wanted to take the M6 Schmolke bolt, round out the hex head shape inside the bolt head to fit an M5 cable stop, drill a hole down the middle to accept the derailleur cable and then reshape the screw head. I did not know that the thread spacing on this bolt is different. Thus, the stupid bolt will not fit into the derailleur. What a waste of time. Could have been some nice weight savings here.

Unmodified Schmolke M6 bolt

The thread spacing is wider on the Schmolke bolt. Also, the small circle in the middle of the upper thread is ghetto as hell. This will be the last Schmolke bolt I will ever purchase.

Shape out the head a little. If I were to do this all over I would not have taken the ridges off the top of the head. Rounded out the inside and it easily fits an M5 cable stop.

Final weight but I cannot use it. After about 1/2 turn, the bolt ceases. Thread spacing too wide.

ImageFelt AR FRD

RyanH

by RyanH

Mmmm, this derailleur is approaching fastdad status. Well, fastdad if he didn't custom fabricate. So, you need to start custom fabricating. Get on that. 3d printer is in your future.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com