Godzuki26 Wife's Cannondale Evo HiMod 48cm build [3.96 kg] or [8.73 lbs]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@RyanH - I need to find a friend who has access to a 3D printer so I can mess around on it. I have zero knowledge of how they work. That will definately be cool.

Right now, using the M6 Carbon-Ti pinch bolt and three M4 limit screws this derailleur weighs in at 92.82 grams. M4 limit screws by Schmolke did not work because the treads were off just like the barrel adjuster. I have 4 tubular M4 carbon rods jammed together to hold the derailleur into place. I will gain maybe a gram once I make the pins. I am still waiting on a shipment on some materials I need to make that happen. For fun, I ordered some rods in different materials (Brass, delrin, 6/4 titanium, hollow steel, aluminum, ect) We will see what happens. I am also waiting on some titanium spokes so that I can make a titanium spring. I made one before for the Tiso Altorre front derailleur. I can probably save another 3 to 4 grams by going to a Ti spring. Could I break 90 grams? With the Ti spring maybe.

:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

steff

by steff

Wow 👍

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I wanted to see how close I can get the stock Red pivot bolt to the weight of the delrin AFC bike pivot bolt. It was a decent effort as I Dremeled away tons of material but i was unable to match the AFC.

Stock Red: 5.48 grams
AFC Delrin: 3.45 grams
Tuned Red: 3.83 grams

So my tuning saved me:

5.48 grams - 3.83 grams = 1.65 grams

ImageFelt AR FRD

C36

by C36

godzuki26 wrote:C36 - I needed a metal polish after using the Dremel polish. The results came back much more shinier. If I bead blast I will get a dull matte look which I am not looking for.

Wow indeed, the surface look really good in this last set of pictures. How did you get ride off the scratches? Can't be just with the Dremel polish no?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Getting rid of the scratches involved 400 grit, followed by 800 grit sanding. Then I used the Dremel with Dremel polish. It gave it a shine, but still left scratch marks. The Blue Magic metal polish I applied with a Qtip and wiped off with a rag. Then I hand buffed it with a clean rag to get the chrome effect. The Dremel step I feel was not necessary.

ImageFelt AR FRD

steff

by steff

Where Can i find this delrin afc pivot for red dérailleur ?

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Unfortunately AFC bike is no longer in business and you have to get it from other Weighweenie members if they have extras.

ImageFelt AR FRD

steff

by steff

Ok thanks 😉

jever98

by jever98

Wow - that's amazing work - congrats!!
----
No longer in the industry

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Good find on that Hopp Carbon B-tension plate. I'd heard of their full carbon mtb derailleurs, but never seen this part before. I picked one up as it just seems like one of those bits that might be impossible to find in a couple of years!

Shame the Schmolke bolts didn't work out for your derailleur.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@4ibanez - I do not see the Hopp Carbon B-tension plate listed on his Facebook webstore. I was surprised to see it on R2-Bike's page. I also have a feeling that they won't be available. I am glad you got one too. It fits perfect and looks stock.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I ran into a problem with making the titanium spring. When I did the Tiso Altorre front derailleur spring, it was a much smaller diameter spring. This spring is 7mm in diameter and about 20 mm in length. So, my 220mm titanium springs are too short to duplicate this spring. In order to get proper leverage to make perfect bends, I would need spokes or 2mm diameter titanium rods that are 400mm or longer. So, making this part is delayed at the moment but I am determined to figure it out. A lathe machine would make this so much easier.

I just realized this derailleur build is on it's 6th page. I need to hurry up and finish this. The most technical part I believe will be the pins. I hope I can get them to work on my first try.

ImageFelt AR FRD

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Does the Hopp B-tension plate fit Etap RD as well?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Marin

by Marin

godzuki26 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:01 am
I ran into a problem with making the titanium spring. When I did the Tiso Altorre front derailleur spring, it was a much smaller diameter spring. This spring is 7mm in diameter and about 20 mm in length. So, my 220mm titanium springs are too short to duplicate this spring.
Can you use a thicker wire/spoke with fewer coils?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Incredible work mate.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com