2016 Cervelo S5 Ultegra

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Sacke

by Sacke

Just got the bike yesterday. It's a 2016 Cervélo S5 Ultegra, size 54cm.

Only swapped out the original Mavic tyres, and put Vittoria Corsa G+ with grey sidewalls, and a demo saddle from Fabric while waiting for the carbon rail seat post head.

Pedals are Look Keo Max Blade 2 Ti, and the bottle cages cheap composit Elite.

My very first pedal strokes today were on climbing the Mont Ventoux. Unfortunately there were extreme winds on the top, so had to turn back 2km from the summit since I could barely hold the bike down, even while being stopped, and sitting on the frame and putting my upper body weight on the handlebars. Scary stuff... Did set a personal record up to that point, and would probably have reached my ever elusive goal of doing the 21,1km from Bedoin in less than 1h 35min.

Awesome bike... I previously had the Cervelo S3 http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=127524 and while I had three other bikes between the S3 and the S5, the same familiar feeling of spot on geometry and awesome BB stiffness were immediately there.

May sound funny, but the moments I appreciated the aeroness of the bike the most, were when I was pushing straight into the headwind. :)

At the moment, still heavy at 7,7kg, but that's with a wheelset that weighs almost 1800g and quick releases that weigh a ton too. The saddle is 264g, but the biggest savings will come from the wheels.

I am keeping the Ultegra groupset for now, until sometime next spring the bike gets a Campagnolo makeover with Bora One 50 wheels and a mechanical Record group + Rotor inPower power meter.

Screenshot from Instagram until I take better pictures. The grey sidewalls on the tires and the grey Fabric saddle make for a pretty nice color matching. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

Like my one when taken out of the box. Survived only few minutes in that state :)
I switched from R5 and truly love every moment riding S5.

Naturel

by Naturel

Hello,
I ride now on a R5 and I hesitate to change for an S5...could you let me your opinion?
And the riding on climbing?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

For a local race which ends with a 1km all-out climb, I put a 1000g tub wheelset on, and the bike was easily 6.3kg even with the super-heavy Cervelo own aerobar ;)
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Sacke

by Sacke

Naturel wrote:Hello,
I ride now on a R5 and I hesitate to change for an S5...could you let me your opinion?
And the riding on climbing?

I recently swapped bikes with a friend who has a R5 from 2014. Kitted with DA Di2 and Bontrager Aeolus 3 tubulars, the bike weighed around 6,2kg.

The R5 is easier when the going is not too fast. At speeds under 25-30km/h, the R5 feels easier, a bit in the same way as my previous '16 Supersix Evo felt easier at those speeds.

When the speeds go above 30km/h, especially if riding in a group, the S5 starts to come to life.

I would attribute that feeling to the purpose built speed first frameset, and the stiffness of the frame compared to the R5.

Climbing feels different. The R5 has a bit of elasticity in the frame, and thus feels a tad livelier when climbing. It feels like it climbs faster, but it's just the feeling.

About a month ago, I used the S5 on a windy day to set a new personal record on the Mont Ventoux. I averaged 280w (my weight 69.5kg) on the climb, and while it didn't feel fast, I beat my previous best, done with the Supersix Evo by 7 minutes.

That's the thing with the S5... It doesn't necessarily always feel fast, but it often is.

When riding with a group, particularly when riding portions at over 40km/h, the effort feels significantly easier than with the R5.

Look at Serge Pauwels, a climber at 64kg/178cm. He consistently chooses the S5 over the R5 or the RCA.

If you are concerned with results, and you feel like you can sacrifice a little comfort/lightness at slow speeds, then the S5 will deliver.

If you are more of a riding with buddies, not really caring about being faster, then you would probably be better off with the R5.

In a climbing setup, weight 6.8kg as is in the picture.
http://pic.useful.fi/962-qktn0w.jpg

The day I beat my best time.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed the img tags. pic too big

Naturel

by Naturel

Thank you for your view.
Do you know the weight of your frame and the fork and seatpost?
And the weight (6,8kg) is well like as the picture? But what kind of wheels?
Thank you again

Sacke

by Sacke

Naturel wrote:Thank you for your view.
Do you know the weight of your frame and the fork and seatpost?
And the weight (6,8kg) is well like as the picture? But what kind of wheels?
Thank you again

The wheels are Bontrager Aeolus 3 D3 tubulars with heavy 25mm Mavic Yksion tubulars and regular Bontrager quick releases. Ultegra 11-26 cassette.

The saddle is Fabric demo saddle that weighs 260-270g.

Here is a 58cm build with precise weights. The 54cm is about 100g lighter.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=139948

In short, frame about 1050g, fork about 350g, seat post about 200g with hardware.

nismosr

by nismosr

great review, I too love my S5 sold my R5VWD and kept it. do you have a compact in the front and 11-26 back ?
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

Sacke

by Sacke

nismosr wrote:great review, I too love my S5 sold my R5VWD and kept it. do you have a compact in the front and 11-26 back ?

I have a mid compact in the front, 36/52 and a DA 11-28 on the original wheel set, and the stock 11-26 on the climbing wheels.

Sent from magic technical device.

john21wall

by john21wall

Magic, just wondering about its qualities as an endurance bike. Change of wheels. Must be a light you could strap on those flat carbon bars.

Ste_S

by Ste_S

Sacke wrote:
Naturel wrote:Look at Serge Pauwels, a climber at 64kg/178cm. He consistently chooses the S5 over the R5 or the RCA.

Di Data only got supplied with the S5 the past few seasons (apart from Paris - Roubaix). They didn't have the choice of the R5 or RCA.
Looks as though the may have the option of the new R5 this (2017) season though

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sacke

by Sacke

I saw that too in another forum or website. Sort of explains why even the climbers used it. Perfect for marketing purposes though!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk