Trek 5900 build - suggestions welcome!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

digitalintrigue

by digitalintrigue

New to ww, thought I'd share what I'm up to.

I have a 2003 Trek 5900 that I originally got in 2007. This frame is notorious for several reasons:

• it's the US Postal frame
• uses a non-standard fork and headset, with lower bearing problems

The frame will be stripped to the carbon, and I'll either leave it bare or clear coat it, so that takes care of the first notoriety.

Sending it to Trek today for a modification so it can use a standard 1 1/8 fork, that will take care of the second...

Leftover parts which could possibly be used: Thomson Elite stem and seat post (129g, 195g)

Probably will use another Selle SMP Composit saddle (210g.)

Would like to get to 14.5 lbs (6577 grams) not including Speedplays or bottle cages.

Open to ideas on everything else...oh, thinking of carbon clinchers.

Fork? bars? Latest Dura Ace gruppo?

What do you guys think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

McGilli

by McGilli

Bars are very personal. We could throw out 100 ideas - but you should tell us if you want some sort of aero bars with flat tops, traditional all round bars, and how much you want to spend.

If you prefer Shimano components - then Dura Ace is their lightest - but if you want a lighter component set then look to SRAM Red. Again - shifter mechanics are personal preference :)

This site lists nicely every component in every group for 2015 and the weights. This could help you. It helped me pick Red - since I wanted cost to weight ratio.

http://www.thebikelane.com.au/2015/06/2 ... t-weights/

Carbon clinchers - are you strictly looking for low weight?

There are a lot of great people here who will get you all set :)

xena
Banned

by xena

Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You should be able to get under 6kg with that frame. With a heavier frame my latest build will be 6.5kg and that is without going broke on the weight weenie kit.

digitalintrigue

by digitalintrigue

Thanks McGilli, very helpful link. Yes, no doubt I should set a budget...will *try* to work on that tonight.

xena wrote:This is mine

very nice, I came across that a couple of days ago, one of the reasons behind the decision to build, rather than buy a new bike...

A bit more info, this is a 50cm frame (I'm 170cm and 63kg.)

Daddy yo yo

by Daddy yo yo

Hey there,

I used to ride Trek frames for more than a decade, first a USPS-coloured 2002 OCLV model, and then a grey 2007 Madone 6.9 SSL. So, I am familiar with their products and weight-weenie-ism! :mrgreen:

Which fork? Well, it depends... I mounted a Look HSC 5 SL on mine because, back then, it was a very light fork for a reasonable price. Another fork I always liked seeing in OCLV frames was Reynolds Ouzo. This fork looks very traditional which I enjoy in such a frame! Columbus Minimal might be a good match too.

6.5 should be achievable with carbon rims, depending of budget and choice of components, of course. Dura Ace would be traditional on this frame, but I always preferred Sram and Campagnolo. Are you trying to make an authentic build, i.e. using components from 2003 or do you want to build the frame with up-to-date components? The frame was built in the US, so why not build a US-themed bike using as many components from US-brands as possible? Thomson, Sram-Group (btw, I do have a Zipp SL Speed carbon fibre stem for sale, 112g in 110mm), Enve...
My contribution to more beautiful roads: - old - / - new -

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

White Industries T11 hubs, Zipp rims, SRAM RED22, Thompson masterpiece seat post, Thompson handlebar and stem. . Which saddles are u.s there must be one.

King cages of course!

There you go an american bike

Daddy yo yo

by Daddy yo yo

bm0p700f wrote:White Industries T11 hubs, Zipp rims, SRAM RED22, Thompson masterpiece seat post, Thompson handlebar and stem. . Which saddles are u.s there must be one.

King cages of course!

There you go an american bike
Chris King hubs, Enve rims (these outperform Zipp in any regard), Sram Red, Thomson (no -p-) or Enve components, Arundel Mandible cages.

Depending on your style, Ritchey's Classic line is cool too, not lightweight though:

My contribution to more beautiful roads: - old - / - new -

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

digitalintrigue

by digitalintrigue

I must say, having never done a bike build before, this is somewhat overwhelming. I had no idea there were so many suppliers and options...

At this point, I'm leaning to SRAM Red as it's significantly lighter than Dura Ace.