Colnago C60 SR Build - 7KGs - New Enve and Tubular Goodness

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, that's a different animal then. I have no experience with that I'm afraid. I just know that once you find a saddle you like it's probably the hardest thing to change from, but when you like the looks of something and think it might work... No harm in giving it a try. But with saddles, what others say is pretty meaningless until you ride it yourself. So go for it. I'm really not fond of the looks of the Arione anyway.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

welchy

by welchy

Calnago wrote:Ok, that's a different animal then. I have no experience with that I'm afraid. I just know that once you find a saddle you like it's probably the hardest thing to change from, but when you like the looks of something and think it might work... No harm in giving it a try. But with saddles, what others say is pretty meaningless until you ride it yourself. So go for it. I'm really not fond of the looks of the Arione anyway.

Agreed, the logos are far too strong and the white in my eyes looks tacky. I'll be going all-black saddle whatever I choose, the preference being on a 'pressure-relief' channel so my crown jewels remain functional after long rides! Open to any suggestions here to be honest.

I've also been toying with the idea of getting a training wheelset, potentially the Campag Zondas. For £260 from Wiggle they seem to be a pretty good deal. Apart from that the cockpit will just be changing with bar-tape and Arundel cages being fitted.

Will have to put the majority on-hold however until some solid notes have been saved for the wedding!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulcha

by kulcha

welchy wrote:

your both shifters are pointing a little in, was it the camera angle?

welchy

by welchy

kulcha wrote:
welchy wrote:
your both shifters are pointing a little in, was it the camera angle?

Just the camera angle my friend :) pretty standard setup at the
moment :)
Last edited by welchy on Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

welchy

by welchy

Currently Weighing in at a whopping 7.22 KGs with Bottle cages and K-Edge mount.

I've decided to put the wheels up for sale and switch them out for some Shamal Ultra's I've bought, if anybody wants the Bora's let me know :) Mileage is about 500Miles on them so barely used (£1000).

I won't be racing this year and this will be my fun/training bike and I'm going to sink into TTs more seriously, so will hopefully trade them for a rear disc and a tri-spoke.

I'll be switching for some plain black Bar-Tape and opting for the Berk Lumina cutout with padding end of next month after pay day!!

Special thanks to Colnago for sharing my photo the other day :)

welchy

by welchy

So, as much as the Elite cages IMO are absolutely fantastic, function over form and such like, I couldn't help but admire the Arundel cages. And although an absolute minimum weight saving, there is no denying the carbon looks fantastic and from reviews it would appear they function well too.

I've dropped down to one bottle holder all well now, rarely am I riding 3+ hours without a stop so seemed all good to drop a cage.

Anyway, here are the weights and a very poor picture!

I also swapped out the Fizik tape for my favourite Cinelli plain black tape, now I know this may not please some with the Fizik all round.. But the Fizik tape was awful, looked too busy on the front end and I just didn't like it all that much. As I said, I'll get some better pics when I'm out riding. It's off to the Pyrenees next week and finishing up in Barcelona so hopefully I'll get some decent snaps of the Nago there :)

welchy

by welchy

So I am thinking of going for some BlackTi Bolts, has anybody got any recommendations of places to purchase them?
I was thinking of using:

http://www.ti-springs.com/

I would be getting:

M5 x 15MM for Stem Bolts
M5 x 10MM for Bottle Cage Bolts
M5 x 20MM for Seat Post Bolt

My only worry is the Seatpost bolt/performance/durability of these. If I would be sticking with the silver bolts I will be opting for black ones!!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nooooo! Stick with steel, for all those bolts. Why?... because they are in critical areas and you don't want to mess with ti breaking or stretching or whatever it does. Probably won't happen, but why risk it. I remember spending a good portion of our first afternoon on a cycling vacation tracking down a new stem after a buddy who broke his ti bolt head off in the stem during assembly and couldn't get it out. 3T certainly had their issues with Ti bolts. I have some ti bolts in a Deda Zero 100 SC stem and they've been fine but I think the new ones only come with steel, not sure though. Anyway, there's some areas, that saving a gram a two just isn't worth it. This is one.

Re the water bottle cage bolts... if they are ti you run the trisk of a bit of galling in the threads and since these are not removed very often, you don't want to find yourself one day with the bolts stuck in there so tight that it rips the bosses out along with the galvanically attached bolt. If you do use them that's ok, as long as you coat the threads with an antiseize compound such as ti-prep. Also, I found with the Arundel cages, it's best to use the low profile buton head bolts that come with the cages. They sit low and don't interfere with the bottles. I've tried some others that come with the Colnagos but the heads sit high enough that they will rub and scrape on your bottles enough to interfere with easy in/out access and also scratch them all to hell before too long. Scratched water bottles is no big deal of course, but if it can be avoided, why not.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

alistaird

by alistaird

Really like this bike and interesting what you say about Campag/Shimano differences. I'm slowly building up a Colnago E1 and it will be Campag Record or Super Record after years of Shimano for me as well. When I eventually finish the build I'll feedback my thoughts on the up shift differences to see if they match with your views.

A

sanandreas

by sanandreas

welchy wrote:So I am thinking of going for some BlackTi Bolts, has anybody got any recommendations of places to purchase them?
I was thinking of using:

http://www.ti-springs.com/

I would be getting:

M5 x 15MM for Stem Bolts
M5 x 10MM for Bottle Cage Bolts
M5 x 20MM for Seat Post Bolt

My only worry is the Seatpost bolt/performance/durability of these. If I would be sticking with the silver bolts I will be opting for black ones!!

I use some ti bolts from http://www.bikehardest.net/shop/

gtv18

by gtv18

Calnago wrote:Nooooo! Stick with steel, for all those bolts. Why?... because they are in critical areas and you don't want to mess with ti breaking or stretching or whatever it does. Probably won't happen, but why risk it. I remember spending a good portion of our first afternoon on a cycling vacation tracking down a new stem after a buddy who broke his ti bolt head off in the stem during assembly...

There is nothing wrong with Ti bolts - if you treat them correctly...
Coat the threads with antiseize compound & don't over tighten them. (use a torque wrench if necessary).

I have a Deda Mag00 stem - Magnesium body & Ti bolts - which has lived on 3 different bikes over the past 10 years & no problems...
Nick W.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

gtv18

by gtv18

I have purchased Ti hardware from RaceTi.co.uk in the past - Good service & good prices.

(I'm not affiliated with RaceTi)
Nick W.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Just got 6 from eBay at 13.50usd for upcoming Kalloy stem Image

welchy

by welchy

Many thanks for all the very helpful replies, the bottle cage bolts will be going ti, with plenty of thread anti-seize just to be safe when I get round to it. For the moment, what only seems very minor (to everybody else I'm sure!) has now been sorted! Black bolts, but 316SS not ti.. I can rest easy even if I may just be being paranoid. With lots of overseas trips planned and the bike being adjusted frequently it's just not worth it!

welchy

by welchy

Also on the bottle cage front Calnago.. They didn't actually come with bolts supplied? I bought it from the LBS and the packaging definitely didn't / never would have had bolts supplied. Maybe it's only on the DAVE-O?!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com