Merlin Extralight

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Asteroid

by Asteroid

My first post here, after joining a day or two ago. Over the years, I'd drop into this site occasionally, but never got around to registering. Thought to give it a whirl.

Photos of my main ride (hopefully) attached below. Every forum does it differently, and WW is no exception. My Extralight hails from '94, although I managed to snap it up on eBay in about '06. I initially planned to make it a display piece with period-correct Dura Ace and such, but it rode so nicely (with some well-used Dura Ace 7400 STI) that I decided to make it a modern build. First with 7900, then a couple years ago with the 11 speed you see here. Always liked quill stems, so go easy on me fellas! Weighs in at 7.5kg (around 17lbs) after yanking the lights off. Carries a little weight in the saddle, stem, and of course the oldish frameset. :beerchug:

note: I guess I could use some help posting pics...

Oldbie

michel2

by michel2

welcome to the club, i hope you get to post the photos i love the extralights !! (-:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I too look forward to seeing the images...having several Merlins myself...

McGilli

by McGilli

Just so people know - if you can't see the photos - until the Op fixes the links you can just right click and open the photos in a new browser window and voila.....

JoeFlan

by JoeFlan

Here are your pictures. Make sure you use the image address not just the URL.
Current Steed
Supersix Evo 6.25kg
CAAD10 6.8kg
Giant TCR SLR 6.8kg
Past Lovers
Focus Izalco Pro
Cervelo S1

michel2

by michel2

that looks like a grammo stem ! whats not too like ! excellent build, enjoy !

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Thank you, JoeFlan, for posting my photos, which forced me to do a bike cleaning prior to taking the shots. :lol:

I really like the simplicity and beauty of quill stems. The Cinelli Grammo was one of the last of the best quills. Yeah, the headsets can blow a little, but they're easily serviced. And you can actually rebuild/repack the goofy Shimano "sealed" bearings.

I recently built-up my Winter bike, and the frame called for using an integrated headset. However, I dug up a cool Grammo threadless clamp-type from my parts bin. Never knew I'd ever use it. Maybe that bike will get put up here soon by me.
Oldbie

PhilippCX

by PhilippCX

Wow, such a beautiful frame. :thumbup:
As a teenager I wanted one so badly but couldn't afford it. Now I'm trawling eBay to find one used but the are so hard to find in Germany :(

12x23

by 12x23

Nice! I still have a Grammo stem somewhere in my parts collection. Need to place on the coffee table right beside my Campy 11-sp chain tool. Both are total class.

Like you, I dig the ride of these frames, have a 2005 Vortex that's been stripped several years now, and just can't part with. I'm thinking put it back in service with a 2009 Super Record 11 group I have on another velo or 7900 that's out of service and lookin' for some use. Go back and forth wasting time - I need to get on with it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com