Colnago Master X-Light - PR82 7.9kg / 17.4 Lbs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

KarlC

by KarlC

My Craigslist find as its transforms.

I been thinking of one of these for a while now, and just could not pass up this deal.

As I got it ......

Adjusted the stem and bars just cause I could not stand looking at them

Also wanted to see what these tubular wheels would look like .... I'm hating this fork.

UPDATED BELOW as of 7/28/16 - 7.9kg / 17.4 Lbs (Swapped out some parts from my inventory)

More changes - New Cages, Headset, an all black stem and just a replica fork for now but it sure looks better .

As of 8.20.16

As of 6.7.17

As of 9/17

Image20170826_185116_resized (002)

Frame - Colnago Master X-Light - 56
Fork - Chrome Rep
Headset / Cap / Bolt
Seatpost - Hylix 27.2 Carbon cut - 123g
Saddle - Selle Italia SLR - 96g
Shifter / Brake Levers - Dura Ace 7700
Front Derailleur - Dura Ace 7700
Rear Derailleur - Dura Ace 7700
Crankset - Dura Ace 25th anniversary
Brakes - Dura Ace 25th anniversary
Pedals - Speedplay X Ti - 151g
Bottom Bracket - Dura Ace 7700
Handlebars - 3t Rotundo LTD 40cm 182g
Stem - -17D
Cassette - Dura Ace
Chain - Dura Ace 7700
Wheels - Reynolds Aero 58 /72 Tubular - 1370g
Skewers - Front 23g / Rear 16g
Tires - Zipp SL Speed 27 Tubular - 259g
Cages - Cheep Alloy

Always planing a few changes but would love some input as this is my 1st Classic bike.

Looking for input .... Thx
Last edited by KarlC on Thu May 17, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 14 times in total.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tids0009

by tids0009

Hi KarlC,

Nice choice!. Currently it looks pretty average with all the red and high rise stem.

I think your planned changes are on the right track and will bring the best out of the Master frame.

Forks - I agree, precisa chrome will look a lot better, the carbon colnago forks are nice too if you run a carbon groupset and have other carbon parts otherwise it will look out of place IMO.
Handle bars, stem and post - if you keep the Shimano polished groupset then I'd say go for polished in this area to keep it consistent.
Wheels - I think these will look nice depending on what they are and the branding on them
Saddle/bar tape - chose the saddle that is most comfortable for you and then get bar tape to match.

This is my version of a Master X-Light in PR82 to give you some idea's

kgt

by kgt

@KarlC
I agree. Fork, bars, stem (and seatpost) need to go. Before buying new wheels you may just replace the rims if the hubs are good (Shimano?). I also think that Arione is not a good match for such a frame.
You may check my master x-light which has a carbon flash fork and alloy parts.

tids0009

by tids0009

That looks very nice KGT, i like it a lot. Well done. I have the same frame but in blue but haven't built it yet after years sitting in storage.

KarlC

by KarlC

Adjusted the stem and bars just cause I could not stand looking at them

Also wanted to see what these tubular wheels would look like .... I'm hating this fork.

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

I love those frames! Wheels look pretty good I reckon. I agree that those forks are bad though!!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I pretty much echo @Kgt's comments in his post above but I'd for sure go with the Chromed Precisa fork. The Flash fork looks good on @Kgt's bike because it's black and matches his predominantly black frame. But on yours it would just look like an aftermarket fork. So stick wth the chromed Precisa if you can find one.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

KarlC

by KarlC

burglarboycie wrote:I love those frames! Wheels look pretty good I reckon. I agree that those forks are bad though!!

Inspired by these Masters .......

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

garjo

by garjo

it would look much better with a Colnago fork, also carbon, but Colnago, if you are interested I got some ones for sale (Flash, Force, Star)
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

KarlC

by KarlC

Calnago wrote:I pretty much echo @Kgt's comments in his post above but I'd for sure go with the Chromed Precisa fork. The Flash fork looks good on @Kgt's bike because it's black and matches his predominantly black frame. But on yours it would just look like an aftermarket fork. So stick wth the chromed Precisa if you can find one.

Im thinking the same, I can get a used Colnago Flash Fork for $150. I like the said to be better Carbon ride and weight but I don't think it will look as good as a Chromed Precisa fork.

So far my best option for a Chromed Precisa fork that I have seen is $366 here .....

http://www.totalcycling.com/en/us/Colna ... 17141.aspx
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Oh, and for wheels I really think the rims should be low profile (but not red) and nice classic stainless steel (but not black) spokes.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

KarlC

by KarlC

Calnago wrote:Oh, and for wheels I really think the rims should be low profile (but not red) and nice classic stainless steel (but not black) spokes.

Thats a great classic look for sure, but something about a Classic steel tube frame with deep carbon wheels really makes me drool.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well, it's your bike... So deep carbon it is then. :)

KarlC

by KarlC

Calnago wrote:Well, it's your bike... So deep carbon it is then. :)

Yes sir, but please don't think I don't appreciate yours and the many others on this broads input.

WW is one of the best overall boards on the web.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cmh

by cmh

Here's mine if it helps....