Raw finished steel bike...

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I haven't raced for several years now and decided I would like to begin again in a few months. I thought doing the Criterium season when daylight savings begins is a good start.

As I don't really want to repair my Merlin Extralight I thought I'd build up a budget bike that I won't have to worry about so much in the case of any incidents...I'm going to use a mixture of Campagnolo 10 Speed Athena, Chorus and Centaur drivetrain, Chris King headset, Mavic wheels, Time Xpresso pedals...maybe Deda or Cinelli bar/stem combo...

I have an older 853 Reynolds steel frame that I'm going to use with a LOOK carbon fork. I always wanted a raw finished steel frame so thought I would use this one to see how it goes...

Last edited by Wingnut on Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I removed some of the original decals and did some light sanding just to give me an idea of whether I would like it.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I liked it so I bought some paint stripper and began...

Wingnut

by Wingnut

The sanded some more to get more of an idea...160 grit used.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I'm going to use an older Easton seatpost I rubbed back, just have to get a can of Acrylic UV spray to seal it with.

Not the lightest but I'll trim it when I assemble the bike and work my fit out.

JamesGRC

by JamesGRC

This looks so nice! I can't wait to see it finished. What about leaving some of the original paint on at the head tube and BB cos there's some nice artwork there

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Thanks, I actually find the artwork pretty easy to do so might reproduce in a black colour type over the raw finish once its done.

I'm wondering if I should rub back the fork too to remove the LOOK decals?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Maybe I should use these again ?

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Nice work, man. Can't wait to see the finished product. Couldn't figure out if you were trying to say your Extralight needs repair, or not wanting to use it due to the chance of having to repair it. In any case, the steel frame will make a nice ride with less worry.

Have fun and stay upright!
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Stripped the headtube today...

Last edited by Wingnut on Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

nobuseri wrote:Nice work, man. Can't wait to see the finished product. Couldn't figure out if you were trying to say your Extralight needs repair, or not wanting to use it due to the chance of having to repair it. In any case, the steel frame will make a nice ride with less worry.

Have fun and stay upright!

Thanks nobuseri!

Sorry for the confusion, yes just wanted to preserve my Merlin Titanium from the inevitable crashes that do occur in criterium racing.

KB

by KB

Nice job. Have been thinking of doing the same on my Omega Spirit steel that needs a respray. Also stripped the paint on my old Dale Supersix and knocked approx 150g from the frame and forks.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Yeah I've been tempted to do this for ages. Once I've finished stripping the frame I'll give it a light sand then use a buff pad kit that can fit to a drill so I can get in all the tight spots.

I'm curious to see what the frame will weigh after?

JLS

by JLS

Looking good so far will be intresting to see the finished result and weight difference.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Removed the seat lug area with paint stripper today, this has yet to be sanded.

Once I have the frame stripped I'll sand with wet/dry, steel wool then buff to clean up some more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com