Year #2 / Build #2 - 2016 Titanium Lynskey Helix Sport And Our Journeys...

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

tomvin90

by tomvin90

I really like this, love the mix of more unusual bits.

maybe cut all the cable inners a little bit shorter? look a bit long but that's just me.

McGilli

by McGilli

RIDING NOTES / 720km on Bike since build complete

Another 225km with another 4,000m climbing.

I'm selling my Cervelo S5. Have a local buyer lined up.

Half way through todays' 220km ride I messaged him (I knew he was interested) and let him know I won't be riding the S5 any more now that I have this bike.

So it's been a week - I have over 700km and 10,000m on this new bike - and - it's the best. There's not a lot else to say. I can see this bike doing every ride I do. Every kind of ride, and in style. I'm smitten.

Thinking Of Titanium? - If you are - then go for it. My recommendation is to really go Ti like I did. Frame, stem, seat post, bars, saddle rails. Get the full experience. It's worth it the extra $ and the weight penalty vs carbon.

CONTROLTECH Ti/Carbon Road Bars - I just wanted to say that these bars are worth every penny. They are truly awesome. However - I also want to mention something here - that might help others down the road. The bars at the centre are a standard 31.8. However, if you look closely at photos of them, as you leave the centre they very quickly narrow. By my measurement it narrows down to 22.0. I;'ve spent 3 years on various carbon bars, but all aero bars with big flat tops. There is none of that with these. I find them a bit awkward to try and hold anywhere but on the stops, or the corner just behind. Still, there's something.... nice... about reaching down and wrapping your hands around titanium as you're riding. Paired with a Ti stem these are a must have.
Last edited by McGilli on Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AndreLM

by AndreLM

C'mon McGilli, you are making my next build get more expensive than I was initially planning :D I was going to use some Deda bars & stem I have here, buy a seatpost and be done with it, but now I need these ControlTech bars.

Very nice build, by the way!

McGilli

by McGilli

AndreLM wrote:C'mon McGilli, you are making my next build get more expensive than I was initially planning :D I was going to use some Deda bars & stem I have here, buy a seatpost and be done with it, but now I need these ControlTech bars.

Very nice build, by the way!

You're welcome :P

But - funny you mention that. I'm getting ready to make a small post - which documents all the parts I ordered for this bike - but DID NOT use. The very first idea was - Ti frame - and I'll use parts that I either have laying around, or I'll order it but will order just carbon. However it was inspiration from looking at some other Ti builds here that made me pull the trigger on the extra Ti parts - and so glad I did. (My wallet wasn't happy though!)

But I have bars, stem, saddle, seat post, fork and seat clamp all here that I did not use - and ended up ordering more expensive parts.

McGilli

by McGilli

DELETED SCENES AND PARTS

Here are parts that I ordered for this build - that I did not end up using for various reasons. Regardless, these are nice to have on hand in case of any damaged parts that need replacing. (Man do I have too many spare parts... this doesn't help!)

ALMOST FINAL ENTRY

994km on this new bike. 13,000m climbing.

Great bike. I'm glad I spent the extra $ on the parts I did. Bike Finish - I was worried at first - seeing the frame and how it's all scratched up. Industrial Mill. But I have to admit - it got me over that 'new shiny / don't scratch it' mentality and I've been able to really enjoy the raw metal finish much more. It almost seems to tarnish like silver at times. It's all good.

The bike is quick. As I do a large amount of climbing (almost 200,000m in 2016 so far) having the smaller frame makes a huge difference. For my style of climbing - it's perfect. Loves to be thrown around when needed - and comes back like it's on an elastic. Get up and go is superb. While this bike is 2.7lbs heavier than my first WW build - this barely seems heavier. I'm guessing because this is a pleasure to ride. The last bike was stiff as hell and no fun.

The bike is fairly unique in my area. Trust me, with the amount of riding I do - I see most of the bikes around the cities :) There are a few LiteSpeed Ti bikes, but never seen any other company branded Ti. Most people look at the shield on the front of this bike and say "Lynskey?" Ha yeah, it's not an off-the-floor brand like 90% of bikes on the road so they have no idea. I like that.

Raining 3 days straight here so can't ride it which sucks. Makes me dread riding my wet weather bike which is a 24lb Ridley X-Fire Disc. But any riding is good riding....

jasonh

by jasonh

I appreciate how things don't match.
I'd love to see the fork custom painted to look like Bouvet door hardware?!
I also think the Last Dura Ace crankset would look awesome with the etched/twisted downtube.
this is one of my favorite builds on ww. I especially love the aesthetic of the Helix bikes.

McGilli

by McGilli

I just realized - I haven't put any 'cool' photos of my new bike in its natural habitat (Mountains)! Sorry about that. I'll get some nice shots out in the mountains over the next week or two and put them up. Here's one from the very first mountain ride I took the bike on. This would have been a 200km / 4,000m day inauguration - best way to try her out ;)

Since this picture I've reduced the spacers on top a bit - fixed the FD height (it slipped) - finalized the saddle position, I've switch the front wheel QR to a bolt on, and removed 2 links from the chain.

So please disregard all that (and the small ring) in this photo!

McGilli

by McGilli

jasonh wrote:I appreciate how things don't match.
I'd love to see the fork custom painted to look like Bouvet door hardware?!
I also think the Last Dura Ace crankset would look awesome with the etched/twisted downtube.
this is one of my favorite builds on ww. I especially love the aesthetic of the Helix bikes.

Hey thanks for the nice words. I agree with the forks. and there's a good chance that will happen - but not for a while. I actually have vinyl car wrap I might try. A buddy always wraps his bikes, forks and all and you would never tell... (that's a strip of the car wrap on my chain stay as a chain protector).

The DA crank would look nice too. I'm partial to the Red though since to me it looks like a saw blade - ha that's the horror fan in me speaking. Love how the group sets fit with Ti perfectly colour wise.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Nice work and definitely a nice build. For me, most people can note that it's titanium, but they usually recognize it's a Lynskey by my etched seatpost or the head badge.

It's definitely a blast to ride; it's my favorite bike at the moment.

Ride safe!
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

McGilli

by McGilli

McGilli

by McGilli

1300km on bike...

Another 220km today - JUST so I could take some pictures for you guys :) Left at 6am hence the lights on there....

gangbyeon

by gangbyeon

Beautiful bike!!
I seem to be the lightest of the titanium bike.

McGilli

by McGilli

My Bad!

Still - I found this replacement in a local shop - and it matches the finish of SRAM components so had to go for it!

Perfect match!

McGilli

by McGilli

1790km on bike now.

Has it really only been about 3 weeks since I built this?

There isn't really anything more to say about this bike so really I'm just posting pictures of where I live cuz it's a beautiful place with every type of terrain. I just looked and I've climbed (and descended) ~525,000m in 3 years since I started riding. I consider climbing and descending my specialty along with endurance riding which is why I am always over 20,000km per year.

Not many, but a couple people have asked why I use two different wheels and it's really two reasons. One is that I ride a lot (usually just 1 day off per month) - and I currently have 17 wheels (and I've sold 5 other sets +1 single) - and I know exactly which ones suit which purpose - for MY riding the best. The second is that I also always wear socks that are different colours. Most people can't get past that either ;) But I understand that being judged based on looks is part of life. C'est la vie. Keep riding everyone!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

McGilli

by McGilli

2,000km's on this bike now. Inspired to ride indeed... Still a few weeks of summer and hoping for a mild Fall!