Year #2 / Build #2 - 2016 Titanium Lynskey Helix Sport And Our Journeys...

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

McGilli

by McGilli

Let's Start Building...

McGilli

by McGilli

PREDICTED WEIGHT AT THIS TIME

With the bike weighed as it stands above - and then adding the weight of the remaining parts - as well as close estimates for the parts that have not arrived or without weights - I calculate the bike at : 6327g when complete (13.95lbs)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

McGilli

by McGilli

Alright - I put on my carbon bars and... hate them. Well - the bars are great. But on this build - they won't work. It just looks all wrong. And - looks are mucho important!

So I've ordered a different bar

McGilli

by McGilli

BRAKE PADS

These are hands down still my favourite carbon wheel brake pads for the $. Cork/rubber compound from China that brakes great in dry & wet, and doesn't wear as fast. And they sound awesome on Zipps!

McGilli

by McGilli

SKEWERS

New ones arrived today - so this makes 3 sets I have lying around to choose from. But - I like the look of these the best...

McGilli

by McGilli

NEW BARS

tomee

by tomee

those are some cool handlebars.
never seen a Ti one before

kgt

by kgt

This handlebar is a masterpiece.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

OK, OK... :)

I am going to have to check out a bar set like that. I didn't know those were even around :)

Looking very good so far!
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

McGilli

by McGilli

Thanks guys - if you are interested in the bars:

I found them brand new on Amazon US for cheaper than people are selling them used on Ebay... This is where I bought mine...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GZ ... UTF8&psc=1

McGilli

by McGilli

Almost done!

I'm just waiting on the seat post/saddle/compression plug and bar ends - and just need to wrap the bars and cut steer tube. Was able to take it for a really, really small spin in the driveway just to make sure all the cabling and gears were good. Put on a seat post and saddle from my mountain bike and it didn't look too bad even with those! But - here's just a few shots from out in the sun today without giving too much away...

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Looking good! You may hit the sub 14lb mark with this build. Mine (XL, Helix Pro) came out to be 6.9kg with reasonable, non-WW parts; pedals included. That's with handbuilt alloy wheels.

Anxious to see how yours will turn out!
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

McGilli

by McGilli

BAR TAPE

This is my 7th road bike in 3 years. This will be the first however - that I have bought - and used - bar tape. The only reason I am using it on this bike is because there is no internal routing on these bars.

So - here are the rolls of tape (of course each side is different - I'm eccentric like that) and then I can minus what's left on the roll from the weight. Roughly.

Close enough.

McGilli

by McGilli

SEATPOST

Chunky....But still good looking :)

McGilli

by McGilli

Cut the steer tube and that chops off 35g. With only the saddle, bar plugs and compression plug left it's at 6329g / 13.95lbs

The only other place I might be able to save weight - with the parts that I have is cutting the seat post down... But it looks like sub 14lb won't happen right now....

The compression plug I ordered is listed at only 7g. The saddle - well I ordered 2 of the same saddle - one with carbon rails - and one with titanium rails. The carbon one is listed at 145g, and the titanium one is listed at 145g also. The bar ends will just be a few grams each.
Last edited by McGilli on Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com