Year #2 / Build #2 - 2016 Titanium Lynskey Helix Sport And Our Journeys...

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Clannagh

by Clannagh

McGilli wrote:
Clannagh wrote:Ive only just seen this after following your link from your message on my own build.
Wow this is gorgeous so much detail, ive always had a soft spot for titanium :thumbup:

Thanks for saying so. As I mentioned in your thread - I went all 'off the shelf' this time on this build of mine. On one hand I'm like, man if I had your patience, space and ability to create - that would be awesome - but then I remind myself that that would be less time for me to ride my bike ;)

As much as I like movies, I love books too so I'll be starting your thread from the beginning and going through slow like. I might just pick up a little winter time inspiration!

Yep time indeed, since starting my build my circumstances have changed. Finding time now is a real issue. :roll:
When I think how long some details have taken to complete jeeeze... just nuts! I probably couldn't do it now. Must admit I often think just get it together and ride the damn thing. :D which is what I did earlier in the year, I should have kept on with the build however once it was rideable that was it realy I just used it for a few months.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

McGilli

by McGilli

BRAKE PADS - MARKS - CLEANING

Traditionally I've always used alloy wheels as winter riding wheels, so I really don't care if they get dirty and marked up.

However - this is the first time I'm using alloy wheels on my 'good weather' bike - and I'd like to keep them reasonably clean and shiny.

I first installed Kool Stop Black pads. They did this after a few rides:

So using Scotchbrite and dish soap I did this:

Now I'm back to this:

And now I've installed Kool Stop Salmon to see if that reduces markings on the brake track...

This might be futile, but hey, something to do while it's raining out :)

dmtevo

by dmtevo

Lovely Bike.. and cracking write up!

McGilli

by McGilli

DEJA VU & OTHER BITS

Another Box!! Actually - I found this NEW - OLD STOCK and could not resist. These wheels are my favourite ever - so I figured a spare front wouldn't hurt :)

These I ordered over 2 months ago. They finally arrived. Upon close exam - these are completely identical to the ones provided by Lynskey. I won't use these but again, good to have a spare just in case...

McGilli

by McGilli

Recently, a cyclist from my club was killed in Richmond, B.C. I'll link the news story just below. I've lived in Richmond for 44 years - and with the amount of cycling I do (Just about 22,000km so far this year) I know every spot in this city that needs to be fixed, upgraded and altered to make its safe for cyclists. While the death occurred on one of these roads, it was unfortunate in that this was a terrible accident that no road alterations would have prevented as the driver crossed the line and hit a group of 6 experienced riders (single file) head on.

However, It really upset me on many levels. One of these was that the City of Richmond has unlimited $ it seems for multicultural parties around the city, or new swimming pools and keeping a floundering Olympic structure afloat with tax money - but some areas of road used most frequently by cyclist stay in disrepair, unfinished and in just plain dangerous state. I've had some dealing with City Hall about this. I'm really trying to tear them a new one about these areas that need to be fixed.

I contacted the local newspaper and would like to share the cover from the newest issue, as well as link to all the related articles:

http://www.richmond-news.com/news/cycli ... -1.2493020

http://www.richmond-news.com/opinion/co ... -1.2919821

http://www.richmond-news.com/news/weekl ... -1.2922218

McGilli

by McGilli

PULLEY WHEELS

Well, here's something else I order months ago that I had totally forgotten about.... I'm not sure about actually using them - I need to see about increased chain wear?

McGilli

by McGilli

Out for 2017!

bekers

by bekers

fork rake of your enve?

McGilli

by McGilli

bekers wrote:fork rake of your enve?

I'm sorry - but I just don't know. I don't know if I ever knew or not.... I remember that $ was running low at that point - and so I had to just buy the Enve fork that I could afford. I wasn't given a choice of rake as there was only 1 available when I bought it....

McGilli

by McGilli

10,000+KM NOTES COMING SOON

I just realized I'll have 11,000km on this frame/bike in a couple of days (3 months off due to shoulder injury so not as many KM as it should be :). Probably a good idea to talk about the Helix frame, and the build in general. I had 39,000km on my Cervelo S5 which I retired when I made this bike - so I'll mostly be talking about the switch from an aero road bike, to a smaller endurance style frame - for my type of riding. Also will talk about switching from carbon aero wheels to non-aero alloy wheels.

Feel free to follow me on Strava

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5051402

Y26

by Y26

McGilli wrote:10,000+KM NOTES COMING SOON

I just realized I'll have 11,000km on this frame/bike in a couple of days (3 months off due to shoulder injury so not as many KM as it should be :). Probably a good idea to talk about the Helix frame, and the build in general. I had 39,000km on my Cervelo S5 which I retired when I made this bike - so I'll mostly be talking about the switch from an aero road bike, to a smaller endurance style frame - for my type of riding. Also will talk about switching from carbon aero wheels to non-aero alloy wheels.

Feel free to follow me on Strava

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5051402

Man. 11k in less than a year time and that is with 3 month off. :thumbup:

Can't wait to see your notes as I haven't build up mine yet. :)

clemhill

by clemhill

Hi McGilli, i was trying to PM you but it won't let me since i just joined. maybe you can PM me? i don't know...

angman19

by angman19

Vancouver BC rider here. Awesome build and was just starting to think about a Ti type build. This is an inspiration and I want to ask so many questions. I too had an S5 and sold it off last year. It just never felt special and was also on the porky side of things. Curious how tall you are as I'm trying to understand what size frame I would need. M or ML. I'm 5'9

clemhill

by clemhill

Holy cow, hey man, finally figured out how to reach you on here. this is such a cool stem. unbranded? where did you come by this? all the best, C.H.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com