Year #2 / Build #2 - 2016 Titanium Lynskey Helix Sport And Our Journeys...

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

McGilli

by McGilli

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

McGilli... my old stomping grounds... Vancouver, BC and surrounding areas... White Rock, Lions Gate Bridge, Fraser River Log Booms, and was going to say the Totem Poles around UBC Endowment Lands, but I think that's the White Rock Pier in the background, so maybe on the hill at White Rock looking south with Semiahmoo Bay on the US Side of the border in the far background?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Y26

by Y26

McGilli wrote:I've put 3,500km+ on this bike in the last 5 weeks :)

However - this isn't the only bike I ride. If anyone here is on Strava - follow me and check out all my rides, as well as more photos from when I'm on different bikes...

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5051402

Wow. You are putting on more kms last five week along than my whole year!

Glad that you have the time and energy to do so before the usual Vancouver weather kicks in.

McGilli

by McGilli

Calnago wrote:McGilli... my old stomping grounds... Vancouver, BC and surrounding areas... White Rock, Lions Gate Bridge, Fraser River Log Booms, and was going to say the Totem Poles around UBC Endowment Lands, but I think that's the White Rock Pier in the background, so maybe on the hill at White Rock looking south with Semiahmoo Bay on the US Side of the border in the far background?

You got it! That's the USA across the water there from the Totems. I'll probably spend more time riding South for the next while...

McGilli

by McGilli

Thanks to Dasz at Dasz.com for taking the photos.

Ok - I don't wanna hear anything about my super awesome lights in my wheels :) Single Father, so when leaving in the dark I need everything I can get my hands on that will help me survive and get home in one piece :)

For those who have never seen this - this is High Street in White Rock BC. It's a fun little hill at 25%. Surprisingly this was my first time ever climbing it - got 16th on it on Strava so not bad for a first try.... I should have taken a photo of the entire hill from the bottom. O well, a good reason to go back soon!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I've tried taking a photo of that hill from the bottom at Marine Drive. But photos don't do it justice. That thing is a wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

McGilli

by McGilli

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha! Steveston docks. And overtop the Deas Island Tunnel (now called the George Massey Tunnel). I like this game.

McGilli

by McGilli

I've ordered 2 more sets of wheels for this bike. I'm looking for something more along the endurance kind of wheel... More comfortable ride... And lighter than my Zipps...

Of course will have pictures once they arrive.

For now on with the show....
Last edited by McGilli on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

McGilli

by McGilli

RedRacer

by RedRacer

This gets my vote for Best Thread of the Year Award!

My birthplace and one of my fave cities - thanks for taking us with you on your Ti build journey and all of your rides!

This is way OT and maybe inappropriate to ask but how on earth do you find some much time to ride? I am very jealous!

Not missing the carbon/aero bike experience at all? Any perceived speed difference along any of your well-known routes?

McGilli

by McGilli

RedRacer wrote:This gets my vote for Best Thread of the Year Award!

Not missing the carbon/aero bike experience at all? Any perceived speed difference along any of your well-known routes?

Thanks for saying so :)

There is a slight difference in speed - in a few situations. But the thing is - this bike is a more relaxed position - so I'm in the wind more. Things like descending a mountain it slower by a few Kmh. The most notable is rotating pace lines. When the person in front peels off - You can feel the wind hit you more - but I've since adjusted. In general - there's just a 'feeling' i get that it's not as fast as the S5 - most noticeable is strong headwinds.

On the other hand, the bike is lighter and it climbs better - as well as it corners better on descents - is quicker to spin up and of course is more comfortable so I have no regrets selling My S5.

Patto

by Patto

Wrong thread.
Last edited by Patto on Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McGilli

by McGilli

WHEELS: 2016 MAVIC R-SYS SLR

WEIGHT: 1859g W/ 25mm Tires & Tubes

Here we go.... Don't we love getting BIG boxes delivered?!?!?!?

Time To Weigh The Bike With These Wheels

Time To Ride These Wheels!

And Finally... A Picture Of A Seagull!

FIRST IMPRESSION: Hubs don't seem to spin - they seem to glide. It's much different than my Zipps in that sense. Much smoother. Obstacles like railroad tracks, and bumpy cobble sections of road were much smoother also. This could be from the 25mm tires. However - My Zipps are much wider and running 23mm at 90psi. These are much narrower (had to redo all the brakes) on 25mm at 90psi. Would never know these are not carbon rims. Braking with the Exalith 2 is crazy compared to the Zipps smooth carbon surface. It's too much haha. I have to get used to this otherwise I'm going to endo right over my bars.

Oh! And the BEST thing... NO BRAKE RUB! At all. I'm so used to Zipps rubbing the brakes any time I'm out of the saddle. These are really, really stiff laterally... Awesome!

I sold my S5 because this bike was so much smoother - and these wheels just make it even smoother... man... spoiling myself!
Last edited by McGilli on Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Y26

by Y26

you forgot to write about the ride difference comparing to Zipp 303 you had there. :p How you like it Bro?