Year #2 / Build #2 - 2016 Titanium Lynskey Helix Sport And Our Journeys...

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

sanandreas

by sanandreas

I never liked the Helix with the turned tubes but this build is really awesome !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Nice work and a very nice build. Enjoy the ride!
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

McGilli

by McGilli

BAR ENDS

These just arrived. They are a lil chunky - but at this point a few more grams here and there isn't of concern to me.

McGilli

by McGilli

Some more photos...

nobuseri

by nobuseri

What do you think of the ride? Smoother? Springy?

Better than what you previously rode?

In my case, it's my "go to" bike outside of a race. Ride is very nice and smooth. Very stable and seems to handle well downhill. I haven't run mine with my deep(er) profile carbon wheels; only some hand built Pacenti wheels with 25mm tires and latex tubes.

I don't think I am going to put carbon wheels on my Lynskey build. :)
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

McGilli

by McGilli

nobuseri wrote:What do you think of the ride? Smoother? Springy?

Better than what you previously rode?

In my case, it's my "go to" bike outside of a race. Ride is very nice and smooth. Very stable and seems to handle well downhill. I haven't run mine with my deep(er) profile carbon wheels; only some hand built Pacenti wheels with 25mm tires and latex tubes.

I don't think I am going to put carbon wheels on my Lynskey build. :)

I'm glad you said the word "Springy". Today while riding I was trying to think of an accurate word... And I was thinking Slinky - but I knew that wasn't right. Bendy would've been a good one at the time.

I will have about 1,000km and 10,000m climbing on it by the end of this week so I'll have a much better idea then of exactly how it's feeling to me - but - it is very noticeably different from a 2015 Cervelo S5. Aero aside - this reminds me more of 1990 with my Nishiki Alien mountain bike, this is before MB's came with shocks on them - and then shocks started coming out a few years later - and installing one - and it was like - wow - smooth.... Night and day difference at that time.

I inflated the tires to max 120psi on the last 2 rides to test - as when I do this on my S5 it's just not enjoyable. It's like a constant tiny vibration running through me. Funny thing. When I got home today I actually checked to see if maybe the Ti frame was cracked underneath because I could not figure out any way that the bike could ride that smooth, even with some divots in the road - so I thought something must be flexing apart - and that's when I thought of a slinky...

But so far I think it just is what it is..... I'm looking forward to the next week with a proper tire PSI.

Later this week I'll comment on the Ti/carbon bars specifically as I feel aside from the frame - that is the centrepiece on this build.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Those madfibers always look the bomb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McGilli

by McGilli

RIDING NOTES / 320km on Bike since build complete

Today just went for a quick 130km with ~3,000m of climbing. I probably have about 20,000km on this route in the past 2.5 years - so I'm very familiar with it - and riding my previous bikes on it - i know exactly how it feels on those.

As soon as I got in today from the ride - first thing I did was check my tire pressure to see if I had slow leaks? Maybe that's why the ride was so smooth? But no. Normal pressure 110psi I use for climbing rides.

The smoothness is shared - my arms and shoulders are less 'shaken and fatigued' and my ass and spine are less impacted by uneven surfaces and bumps etc.

Oh, needed one of these. Had some mirror vinyl wrap lying around...

jekyll man

by jekyll man

I have to be a little disappointed here, sorry :cry:
I was expecting a bit more.

It just looks half finished with a mishmash of bits. I dont think the stem or seatpin suits it.
Saddle is whatever you get on with :)
But please get a matching pair of wheels.
Official cafe stop tester

McGilli

by McGilli

RIDING NOTES / 444km on Bike since build complete

125km today with 2500m climbing through the mountains.

All day I just kept thinking - if it wasn't for the fact that half of my rides are done on flat land - I'd sell my Cervelo S5. For me, and my experience - this new bike is a far superior riding experience.

This bike is quick - in all ways - but especially in corners. The frame is a bit shorter, which is great for handling I find. One negative is I have about .5cm of toe overlap with the front wheel.

90% of my stops on a ride are strictly track stands as I hate to unclip - so having the wheel get in the way is a pain, but I'll adapt.

Overall It makes me realize how cumbersome my S5 is in anything but flats. This won't match my S5 with a set of 88's on it for a 200km plus flat land ride...

And this Ti bike has stopping power. I don't mean brakes - I mean - it keeps making other cyclists stop to ask me about it. Draws attention for sure. Lots of questions. Lots of attention.

I've decided to never buy another carbon 'brand name' bike again. This really opens my eyes to titanium as a bike metal and all the smaller makers of bike frames using it.

McGilli

by McGilli

jekyll man wrote:It just looks half finished with a mishmash of bits.

Dems the breaks.

Hey - put up the link to your build here on the site - I'd like to see your bike and what you consider to not be a mish mash of parts...

jekyll man

by jekyll man

McGilli wrote:
jekyll man wrote:It just looks half finished with a mishmash of bits.

Dems the breaks.

Hey - put up the link to your build here on the site - I'd like to see your bike and what you consider to not be a mish mash of parts...

Apologies, i'd missed this pic. Looks far better :thumbup:

I still don't think the "angularness/sharpness" of the stem goes with the flowy rest of the bike.
Official cafe stop tester

McGilli

by McGilli

jekyll man wrote:
Apologies, i'd missed this pic. Looks far better :thumbup:

Thanks - actually right now have 6 different sets of wheels - and 3 more single wheels. Putting over 20,000km per year on the road - I like to mix them up at times. Really get to know how each set or individual wheels works with, or against the others. Surprisingly or not, sometimes a mixed set feels better to me than a complete set. Plus I wear two different colour socks - so two different wheels doesn't bother me :P But if I can ever find another rear MF clincher - you'll see it here first!

McGilli

by McGilli

New Compression Plug

OLD vs NEW

PS I know i had the inside upside down when I took the photo....

McGilli

by McGilli

My Fault

Was in a rush after fixing at flat and tried cranking this over way too hard....

UPDATE - Possiblt NOT my fault

I notice the other one has a slight bend now to it also...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com