Kayrehn Fuji SL 1.1

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Yes.

Detailed pics to come, will set it up some place nice in a couple of days.

kgt

by kgt

Really nice!
What was the total budget?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jkzy

by jkzy

congrats u achieved your target in style!

junchen

by junchen

Took a while to complete this build, but congratulations... V nice parts u have there.
Last edited by junchen on Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

What about bar tape and bottlecages?

roelez

by roelez

What do you use for the bar plug!

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

@kcookie - the saddle fits perfectly coming from a Toupe, pretty relieved ha. The back of the saddle curves upwards unlike the toupe, doesn't affect anything in terms of comfort other than preventing you from sliding backwards. I think the UD cosmetic layer on the post adds to the weight.

@kgt - its like a hundred odd bucks off 10k sgd.

@lightweenie - I used racket overgrip, 4g each and one for each side. Gets dirty easily though, might change it eventually. Bottle cage is some cheap Chinese ones from aliexpress which had a vice grip until I filed the shit out of it to remove material and make it less grippy.

@roelez - I drilled out the centre of a pair of Deda plugs, cut down its ends, and spray painted them. Used sugru to attach them to the ends.

Lousy pic here after first ride yesterday night. Waiting for Berk's black decals and a chance to take nice outdoor pics.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

More changes to be made after a 170km ride last Saturday
- want to get the Schmolke ahead steerer tube plug as the carbonice cap is pretty loose
- changing bartape to Supacaz neon yellow, the racket tape gets dirty too easily. Want to respray stem plates and bar end plugs to fluorescent yellow as well. New Raceware Garmin mount in the same colour ordered.
- want new bottle cages for ease of use; begging Berk for some at the moment

When changing bar tape at lbs, mechanic realised that the rear brake suddenly gave up. Turns out the tension of the system cut the cable guide exit hole, the housing went in and the whole cable slackened.

After undoing the knot of the Powercordz Swift cables, realised that the cable frayed really badly, and think I'll be switching back to steel ones.

So, change to other (lightweight) cables or was the powercordz wrongly secured? Using the cable clasp by Mattias, but the mechanic who set it up only looped the cable through one of the holes instead of using both, could that be the reason for the cable getting cut?

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

After a handful of rides, I still have the sensation of being constantly aware of the lightness of the build at all times, and it is a very novel experience for me.

Berk combo - The new shape just agrees with me, and it's definitely a conversation starter.

Haerocarbon Bars - nice and firm even when holding the ends of the drops. Great weight, reasonable price, glad I found them. 38cm width c-to-c is perfect!

Carbonice steerer tube cap - looks bulbous directly over the stem, very loose atop the steerer tube, lost it today on the road even when I used sugru to try fix it there. Schmolke ahead plug will come in handy.

Fiberlyte chainrings - 2 of the pins on the inner side of the large ring dropped off already. One tooth slightly flaky with the carbon layers. There are a few times when the chain dropped in between the small and large rings, not sure what's the problem at the moment...

Tires - noticed a small bump at the valve during the ride, and upon inspection found that the valve is in a slanted position (pretty sure I installed it right). Perhaps the magic mastik tubular glue didn't work well enough to hold it firm on the wheel. Will definitely redo it.

Engage Gravial brakes - front brake with Powercordz closes the right arm onto the wheel first before the left arm even started moving. Might ditch the powercordz and use normal steel cables.

And I'm ashamed that I missed out on a small detail that completes the matte look - the FSA headset cover needs to be sanded down to have the logo removed and given a matte finish to match the bike.

So, still some work to do before I'm truly satisfied. I'm off for a 3 week long holiday and will be get it done after Christmas.

A shot from my ride today Image

KCookie

by KCookie

I had the same problem with a pin falling out of the Fibrelyte rings, a small weight penalty but I would change to Extrlite, you won't be disappointed. Mine work great. !!

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

KCookie wrote:I had the same problem with a pin falling out of the Fibrelyte rings, a small weight penalty but I would change to Extrlite, you won't be disappointed. Mine work great. !!

I'm trying to stick with it for now since there isn't any problem with shifting up to the big ring as yet, plus it looks bling ha. Hoping there's an remedy for it from Fibrelyte; had dropped them a mail this morning. Thanks for the tips still @kcookie!

KCookie

by KCookie

No problem. Stephen will send you some more lift pins, send a self stamped addressed envelope and you'll have them very soon.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

I had the same problem with the chain dropping between rings on 11s. It was never a problem with 10s. I found that replacing the little ring with a standard alloy ring resolved the problem immediately.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

RyanH I assume you were using Fibrelyte rings as well? I never had the problem before using osymetric rings, and kind of suspect that somehow there's an usually large gap between the large and small Fibrelyte rings. Nonetheless, I'll check on the tuning of the front derailleur once I'm back from holiday. Thanks for the feedback!

RyanH

by RyanH

Sorry yes, FibreLyte. When I was on 10s, never had a problem. On 11s, I had to big ring an entire race because it kept dropping in between, a 60 mile race with 6k of climbing...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com