Pinarello Galileo (2003) build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

patchsurfer

by patchsurfer

Funny how this build came about...I've been riding a Giant TCR for the last few years, which is a great bike, but I can't stand pressfit bottom brackets any more. I cannot get them to shut up for more than a month - so whatever I replaced the Giant with had to have, number 1, a threaded BB. I really liked the look of the Bowman Palace, the Kinesis Aithein, to mention a couple that I thought might be contenders - I'm amazed by how quickly pressfit's taken over everything. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone...but I digress. I saw a review for the Condor Italia RC, which I think came in at 1600g for the frame, and that ticked the box of having a traditional BSA BB. That got me thinking, and I went out to the shed and pulled this down from the rafters and weighed it...and then I basically rummaged around in the shed a bit more.

I was initially contemplating getting the frame repainted, because I thought the paint was in a whole lot worse shape than it was. I hit it with the polish, cleaned out all the threads, replaced the headset bearings, and I'm stoked with the result.

Full Dura Ace 7800 except for the RD, which is an Ultegra 6500 unit which I have slapped on while I repair my 7800 one - the thread on the cable retaining bolt stripped out, so I'll either put a timesert in there or tap it for a bigger bolt when I get round to it.

Seatpin is an old carbon unit from a Giant OCR, IIRC. I sanded it back to bare carbon, shot a coat of clear over it and polished up the alloy. Got to be happy with free, and 270g once I'd cut it to length seemed reasonable enough.

Cockpit is workmanlike alloy. I like the shape of the Easton bars. The tape's been a pleasant surprise - it's the Lifeline stuff from wiggle - not weenie light, but plush and cushioned. The roads round here are volcanic chip, so I find the thin fizik stuff gets old, really quickly.

And the point of the exercise - a proper BB. Aside from bar tape and cables, the only new bit I bought for this project.

I'll replace the fork at some point, it's a bit on the lardy side at 550 g. I've seen Ribble are doing the ITM hadar for silly cheap money, so that will probably be the next addition. The 7800 will stay until I stumble across some 7900 at the right price. I did contemplate doing the oven cleaner strip and polish thing on the chainset, because it's definitely showing the years. Not sure how that translates to what it'll look like a couple of months down the track, though, so inaction reigns for now. I don't have a means of weighing the complete bike, but here are the component weights: (I didn't weigh all the DA components individually, weight are from the archive)

Frame: Pinarello Galileo, 2003 - 1510g (weighed with cable stops, headset and seat clamp)
Fork: Pinarello Meta -550g
Bars: Easton EA50 - 300g
Cassette: Ultegra 11-25 : 216
Pedals: Shimano 5700 -320
Saddle: Bontrager Serano- 225
Seatpin: Giant - 270g
Stem - Deda Quattro 100mm - 158g
Cables: Jagwire Hyper - 240g
Tape: Lifeline Superlight PU- 50g? (I didn't weigh, generous guess...)
Cages: 58g
Crank: Dura Ace 7800 - 679g
Brakes: Dura Ace 7800 - 314g
Shifters: Dura Ace 7800 with Hudz - 420
FD: Dura Ace 7800 74g + 15g band
Bottom Bracket: Ultegra 6800 - 77g
RD: Ultegra 6500 -215g
Chain: Dura Ace - 238g

Wheels: Campagnolo Zonda - 1550g
Tyres: Velomax Master 23 - 195g x2
Tubes: Michelin Latex - 75g x 2

8.019 kg, in this iteration. Replacing the fork should knock 175g off that, and I've got a pair of Reynolds DV 46 tubulars, which will bring the racing weight down by about another 400g, by my reckoning.

Fun build, and I'm looking forward to racing the shit out of it this season.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

Very nice!

I think older alu frames have a class that most modern alu frames have not. I would not replace the original Pinarello fork with an ITM one just to loose a few grams.

I would also prefer a Campy groupset and all black tires but that's me.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

For a parts bin bike build, this is freaking amazing! It even works with the mixed wheels and drivetrain brands. Well done. The frame and paint seem to be in spectacular shape. Enjoy it.

patchsurfer

by patchsurfer

Thanks! Next job is to desticker the rims - 100% with you on that. I had my eye on a record / chorus gruppo for it - but I'm trapped by my wheel collection, as much as anything else...