Lightweight Urgestalt. UPDATE, new parts 30.9.2017

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

KCookie

by KCookie

Im assuming the inner ring is wrong to. Can you guys please confirm that.
Ive tried to undo the bolts but they keep turning, with no groove in the back to hold them im stuffed. Back to bike shop to fix, luckily im working next to it Tuesday. Cant say im to impressed, was really looking forward to a ride today. Image

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

The chain ring bolt needs to be held on the inside and turned on the outside. Have a look on the other side of the crank and you will see what I am talking about. :-)
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

RyanH

by RyanH

Also, there's a notch on the ring, that should be aligned with the crank arm... Just in case they manage to mess that up when they flip the Rings

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Your mechanic is not very good. When I was looking for someone to work on my bike, I ask a lot of questions. Some good ones are:

1. Have you heard of MCFK?
2. Have you heard of Tune?
3. Have you heard of Ax Lightness?
4. Have you heard of DASH?
5. Have you heard of THM?

If they go "what's that?" or "I never heard of that?" then go find another mechanic or do it yourself. The last thing you want is someone to experiment or learn how to install something they have never installed before using your property. One mechanic cracked my friend's top tube because they clamped the frame to the workstand on the top tube instead of the seat post. That is a huge no no for thin walled carbon frames.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

KCookie

by KCookie

RyanH wrote:Also, there's a notch on the ring, that should be aligned with the crank arm... Just in case they manage to mess that up when they flip the Rings

Cheers Ryan, will pass that on to them Tuesday. !!

KCookie

by KCookie

godzuki26 wrote:Your mechanic is not very good. When I was looking for someone to work on my bike, I ask a lot of questions. Some good ones are:

If they go "what's that?" or "I never heard of that?" then go find another mechanic or do it yourself. The last thing you want is someone to experiment or learn how to install something they have never installed before using your property. One mechanic cracked my friend's top tube because they clamped the frame to the workstand on the top tube instead of the seat post. That is a huge no no for thin walled carbon frames.

Spoke to the owner today and was very apologetic. Unfortunately he wasn't around to check the bike before I collected it. He will personally see to the problem on Tuesday.
Thanks guys for the tips and advice.
Will post more pics soon.
Cheers

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

godzuki26 wrote:Your mechanic is not very good. When I was looking for someone to work on my bike, I ask a lot of questions. Some good ones are:

To be fair there are a lot of good bike shops in the UK that will not have heard of those brands because they are mostly weightweenie brands and trying to source any of them in the UK is extremely difficult. Tune is well known but with the others, I suspect that most bike shops in the UK will never have seen any parts from them up close. I haven't actually had any parts from Dash in my hand although I know that Ubyk now sell them.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

KCookie wrote:Im assuming the inner ring is wrong to. Can you guys please confirm that.

the inner ring looks right (there will have been fitting instructions that came with the chainrings, so you can check that way. Any problems please email us)

regarding the chainring bolts, Carbon-Ti actually have an instruction manual here http://www.carbon-ti.com/media/X-Fix_ENG-2014.pdf
by the looks of things they use a Torx head for the front part and a hex bolt for the rear part so that's how you tighten/untighten the bolts, by holding both sections with appropriate tools.

just as a side comment, given that weightweenie parts often have some limitations and your bike is predominantly weighweenie parts, can I suggest that you learn how to mechanic your own bike, possibly take a course? I have a few concerns about riders who don't know basic maintenance yet have high end builds.

KCookie

by KCookie

Thanks for the info Stephen, will give it a go tomorrow.
Here are some more pics
ImageImageImageImage
More to follow
Cheers

RyanH

by RyanH

I second what Stephen mentioned (as well as others). A lot of these parts require an ongoing maintenance (or checking) schedule. Make sure the Fibulas are torqued down to 10nm (get a torque wrench, they're about $60 on amazon and essential) otherwise they will come off center and be fairly annoying. When installed properly, they don't need to be re-centered.

If you get clicking or creaking when sitting pedaling, it's probably the saddle rails, they need carbon paste and may not be torqued down enough on the post.

Bike maintenance may seem daunting but it's very easy and after awhile, you'll find that you can do a better job than most shops because you'll actually carefully read the instructions and follow them.

xena
Banned

by xena

KCookie wrote:Im assuming the inner ring is wrong to. Can you guys please confirm that.
Ive tried to undo the bolts but they keep turning, with no groove in the back to hold them im stuffed. Back to bike shop to fix, luckily im working next to it Tuesday. Cant say im to impressed, was really looking forward to a ride today. Image

Easy mistake to make . When I got my first set that seemed the obvious way round but I knew the pins should not be showing. Stephen also makes a mark so you can align the rings up right.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

reedplayer

by reedplayer

i think nows the time for picture of complete bike. ;-)

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Very nice. I like the all black stealth look!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Will post a complete bike pic in a few days once the chainrings are correct. Cheers ImageImage