Sprinters dream bike advice and opinions - NK1K vs VIAS vs H1 vs F8 vs S5

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

AZK

by AZK

Just joined WW, Hi All.

Bio - Started riding to burn fat & save furniture, ended up addicted to racing & adore the N+1 = fulfilled life formula. I’m an absolute Cancellara die hard fan SPARTACUS AARRGHH!!!! After many failed attempts at trying to impersonate my hero I have accepted I’m a sprinter (dirty leaching drafting type rider). Despite never specifically training for it, it’s the only thing I seem to be comparatively good at vs my fellow racing riders (power curve also agrees that I should be protected, oh the disgrace). Which brings me on to my next N

The sprint dream machine. the fastest bike for a 5-10 second effort, I don't care about comfort and weight is not that important sub 7.5kg will do :shock: SACREBLEU!

Trek Madone H1 – Does it all but I’m not that impressed with bar stiffness (Fabian has a custom stem bar)
Canyon Aeroad – Same as above, but cheaper (Kristoff has a custom H11 not available from canyon afaik?)
Cipollini NK1K – this thing is Gorgeous in the flesh TAKE MY MONEY NOW!
Cipollini RB1K – same as above, but cheaper – Photos do not do this bike justice.
Velocite Magnus 3rd Gen – according to tests the epitome of the stiffest frame ever?

With the TOUR Dogma F8 results just out, I have to say i'm some what disappointed in the stiffness of the frame especially after all the T1100 SUPER GOD OF THUNDER marketing foreplay which I must admit got me very excited. :oops:

I'll be testing a Cipollini Bond at the LBS, it’s the only option in my size. Any one compare this to the rb1k/nk1k? Is there any test info out there to back Cipollini's stiffness?

The S5 in my size looks horrendous, HELLO HEADTUBE! The Vias stem handle bar is also pretty flexy Kittle changed his out and probably has access to a custom layup option anyway.

I’ll only be making my decision after EB16 if I can wait that long.
Last edited by AZK on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Fit will be a top priority here as well. So check the geo charts carefully for what works best for you.
I assume from the list you provided that you are not racing on a team-provided bike and that you may be racing as a privateer and on your own budget. If you are mixing it up in the sprints then you are more prone to being involved in crashes and breaking equipment. So, factor that into your thinking in terms of crash budget. Granted you may be in a position to crack a Cipo weekly...

Other than having a frame that fits you with a clean, (perhaps) aero-ish form, you should then turn your considerations to a stiff set of deeper wheels, stiffer stem/bars and crankset as well. This tends to orient to buying a frameset and building it up with no compromises. You can get all of those models listed as a frameset then mix and match the parts that best suit your riding.

But if you need some sort of definitive answer from the peanut gallery based on the choices proposed, then: "Aeroad".

In closing, don't discount comfort in a frame. To be in the mix for that last all out sprint, you need to get to the final lap with some gas left in the tank.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

anquetil

by anquetil

Hi
I ride all except Trek and finished on ......Pegoretti.
Definetly fastest is S5 VVD.

kgt

by kgt

All reviews admit Cipollini frames are superstiff (see the Cipollini thread). A recent Nk1K review:

"Some days, I spent much of the ride feeling like I owned a big dog I’d never quite been able to train for the leash—it’s that kind of bike, which is a credit to the execution of its namesake’s vision. But when I was in a mood and came into the right form to go hard, I was thrilled at bike’s eagerness to scream."

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/new ... llini-nk1k

IME (Bond) that is true. BB, front end are really, really stiff.
You have to try one yourself though before spending all that money.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

I have to LOL at the idea the VIAS bar/stem aren't stiff. I can assure you Kittel's bar/stem change has zero to do with stiffness. Man, the internets......

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

I'm 100% sure an Allez Sprint would be good enough for you. Get some 38cm SL70 Aeros and it will be more aero than any of the other integrated frame/barstem systems out there.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Go for the one you like the looks off.

IamnotWiggins

by IamnotWiggins

You sound like a right berk.

AZK

by AZK

Thank you for the response so far guys. I'm just a club level racer, also aim to go for the odd sportive now and then.

Stolichnaya wrote: If you are mixing it up in the sprints then you are more prone to being involved in crashes and breaking equipment. So, factor that into your thinking in terms of crash budget.

In closing, don't discount comfort in a frame. To be in the mix for that last all out sprint, you need to get to the final lap with some gas left in the tank.

Good points, crashes are a common issue in sprints and crits. Still need to do some more research into insurance, some have been suggesting 'cycleplan' . I would use my current bike in wet races.

AZK

by AZK

dudemanppl wrote:I'm 100% sure an Allez Sprint would be good enough for you. Get some 38cm SL70 Aeros and it will be more aero than any of the other integrated frame/barstem systems out there.

I'm not looking for a bike that is good enough. I'm 100% sure a Allez is good enough for anyone on this forum.

Slowly upgraded my bikes as I improved and now i'm looking for something special.

mrgray

by mrgray

cool intro and i'd go for the one that makes you feel it. cippo sounds like that. at our level it's about what rocks your boat i reckon. also no compromises. just cost you money in the end. get what you want now.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

AZK

by AZK

mrgray wrote:cool intro and i'd go for the one that makes you feel it. cippo sounds like that. at our level it's about what rocks your boat i reckon. also no compromises. just cost you money in the end. get what you want now.

Thanks mrgray, The Cipollini's definitely have the biggest intangible impact, also like that any stem bar combo can be used (not a fan of the integrated cockpits I've ridden so far).

With that being said I won't be spending this sort of money on a bike again anytime soon. So looking to get the best performance as well. To make matters complicated, there are solid reviews/tests on all the bikes I've listed besides the Cipollini's.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

I would flick Velocite an email and ask when the rim brake version of the Syn is being released. I have the disc version and that thing is a sprinters dream, rock solid in the BB and head tube areas. I like the ride as well, not quite as agile as my other ride but it's no slouch. Victor mentioned prior to release that it's BB exceeded the stiffness of the Magnus with a little more compliance built in elsewhere. Run it with a Zipp Sprint or Pro Vibe Sprint stem and it will handle anything you throw at it.

Pricing is also a big +.

Of the other rides you've mentioned everything I've heard about RB1K suggests is an awesome option, only issue is getting a good fit with such a short head tube. I wouldn't want to be running as spacer tower. I would assume the NK1K would be just as good.

Funny thing is all these bikes handle big watts on a regular basis with no issue so any of them are going to be awesome. Get what floats your boat and makes you feel like a bad ass when you throw a leg over it.

HaroldC

by HaroldC

How about the S-Works Tarmac? The bottom bracket is huge on this thing and I barely feel any flex. I am also a sprinter and I do not have any experience on the bikes you listed, but you should try and demo a Tarmac, especially an S-Works , if you can. I originally had a standard 10r Tarmac and now have the 11r S-Works Tarmac. Big difference in BB stiffness!

The ViAS is also a really stiff and fast bike. Kittel and the entire team changed bars and stems because they are sponsored by FSA and have to run their stuff. Sagan sprinted just fine on the standard ViAS bar/stem recently. Try and demo both, don't be so quick to eliminate them from your list. Good luck!

kgt

by kgt

If you want something really special, as you say, then Cipollini that is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com