Sprinters dream bike advice and opinions - NK1K vs VIAS vs H1 vs F8 vs S5

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

kgt

by kgt

In terms of aero... you can get as aero as you want with the Cipollini.
If you are flexible enough to have a slammed stem then the rider-bike combo will be much more aero in the case of the Cipollini vs the Trek. Especially in comparison to a H2 Madone which is aero only in theory.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Then of course you can go lower also in Trek. There is an aero difference in frames and total concept and that stays.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

kgt

by kgt

No you cannot get lower on the Madone whatever you do.

At 56cm effective tt:

Madone H2:170mm ht
Madone H1: 140mm ht

RB1K:127mm ht

AZK

by AZK

The RB1K Is definitely an ultra aggressive frameset. The XL '57.5cm' frame i'm considering has the more reach than a 62cm H1 Madone (410.4 vs 407) and its as low as a 56cm H1 (549).

I tend to sit further forward towards the BB, which was one of the main reason I chose the RB1k over the NK1K.

In the last weeks my background image has switched between the Trek and Cipollini. It has started to linger on the RB1K.

:thanx: for the input guys (and the added courage to help me spend a ridiculously copious amount of money)

I would like bigger tyre clearance and direct mount brakes (yes yes the NK1K and H1) My hero is Cancellara (H1) Hell i'm currently riding a Trek. However there is a big lean towards the intangible on this thread/forum which is awesome! I'm just going to order the RB1K now! YOLO! segaerrgse23t2tiefgehetahae5ho24hg4!!!

:popcorn: :beerchug: :hello: :exactly: :mrgreen: :twinkle:

anquetil

by anquetil

Cipollini is faaaar from stiff frame.
F8 & S5 vvd are much stiffer and faster.

AZK

by AZK

anquetil wrote:Cipollini is faaaar from stiff frame.
F8 & S5 vvd are much stiffer and faster.

Of the S5 & F8 which did you find stiffer? And have you ridden a RB1K?

anquetil

by anquetil

I ride RB 1000 S5 is most stiffer frame.

AZK

by AZK

anquetil wrote:I ride RB 1000 S5 is most stiffer frame.

Thank you for your opinions, I must admit you are the first person I've seen say 'Cipollini is faaaar from stiff frame.'

The LBS who sell the Cipollini's are also Cervelo agents they advised me the S5 is no match in terms of raw stiffness. I tested the Bond in the shop due to sizing and from my experience I have to agree with them.

audiojan

by audiojan

I'm a bit surprised that you're not finding the F8 stiff enough... I'm a sprinter (or should say, used to be a sprinter since I'm no longer racing) and the F8 is stiff enough not to deflect at all and it allows me to switch lines even under full load.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

AZK

by AZK

audiojan wrote:I'm a bit surprised that you're not finding the F8 stiff enough... I'm a sprinter (or should say, used to be a sprinter since I'm no longer racing) and the F8 is stiff enough not to deflect at all and it allows me to switch lines even under full load.

My original post might be a bit misleading? What I actually meant =

The F8 is one of the stiffest bikes. I just had higher expectations from the TOUR results, Pinarello use the highest quality carbon in the market. I believe they have sole rights to T1100? The compliance was also one of the most unforgiving. A common mistake make is to assume an un-compliant frame is a stiffer one.

Looking over the review it was clear aero (47% better!) and weight was their main goal as frame stiffness was enough for the GC fight (yes and more than enough for me). The F8 could very well be a better overall bike than a RB1K, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Here is a comparison of the F8 vs ViAS, indicating a sprint focused bike vs GC bike. The ViAS is stiffer and more compliant according to Tour.

Steering column rigidity Nm/*
ViAS 98
F8 100 +2%

Lateral fork stiffness N/mm
ViAS 71 +48%
F8 48

BB rigidity N/mm
ViAS 79 +23%
F8 64

Seat post deflection N/mm
ViAS 233 20% more compliant
F8 293

I should probably stop quoting TOUR tests. When/if the RB1K gets tested it might not be 'favourable' :oops:

condorman

by condorman

Which do you think looks faster? The RB1K?

If so get that, because a bike that looks faster IS faster :D

anquetil

by anquetil

Rb1000 has very soft BB watch out for torque when tighten bb cups.

AZK

by AZK

condorman wrote:Which do you think looks faster? The RB1K?

If so get that, because a bike that looks faster IS faster :D

Hahaha YES! & if I am slow at least I'll look fast on photos 8)

anquetil wrote:Rb1000 has very soft BB watch out for torque when tighten bb cups.

Thanks for the caution. Any BB suggestions for 30mm spindle cranks?

aerodynamiq

by aerodynamiq

Very happy with my S5 combined with Zipp Sl Speed 140mm stem.
velonode.cc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com