Sprinters dream bike advice and opinions - NK1K vs VIAS vs H1 vs F8 vs S5

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

TomColnago

by TomColnago

I'm like you as sprinting is the only thing you do well at, earlier this year I built my sprint machine up and I went with a colnago C60 with deda 35 "trying to initiate the gorilla". I didn't want to stick to the mainstream sprint bikes but whatever you chose I will certainly be interested in following the build. I vote NK1K out of your selection :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AZK

by AZK

Fixie82 wrote:Victor mentioned prior to release that it's BB exceeded the stiffness of the Magnus with a little more compliance built in elsewhere. Run it with a Zipp Sprint or Pro Vibe Sprint stem and it will handle anything you throw at it.

Never knew the Syn was even stiffer! Actually emailed Victor about some details on the Magnus last week. Currently running the Pro Vibe Sprint stem amazing difference and totally worth the extra grams as a sprinter.

HaroldC wrote:How about the S-Works Tarmac? The bottom bracket is huge on this thing and I barely feel any flex. I am also a sprinter

The ViAS is also a really stiff and fast bike. Kittel and the entire team changed bars and stems because they are sponsored by FSA and have to run their stuff. Sagan sprinted just fine on the standard ViAS bar/stem recently. Try and demo both, don't be so quick to eliminate them from your list. Good luck!

Ok I've added the S-Works Tarmac to my list! I will still consider the Vias aswell.

kgt wrote:If you want something really special, as you say, then Cipollini that is.

Totally agree. will be testing the Bond tomorrow.

TomColnago wrote:I'm like you as sprinting is the only thing you do well at, earlier this year I built my sprint machine up and I went with a colnago C60 with deda 35 "trying to initiate the gorilla". I didn't want to stick to the mainstream sprint bikes but whatever you chose I will certainly be interested in following the build. I vote NK1K out of your selection :mrgreen:

Deda bars are indeed great currently running the Velocita 4130 Chromoly Track bar. Weighs a ton +600g but you can rip this bar like a maximum deadlift with minimal to no flex, along with the Pro Vibe Sprint stem it transformed my bike.

Only bar to come close is my Alpina Carbon Sprint Bars (370g) but there were so oversized I couldn't get the Shifter bands to fit on. Will be getting some custom ones made up.

AZK

by AZK

TomColnago wrote:I'm like you as sprinting is the only thing you do well at, earlier this year I built my sprint machine up and I went with a colnago C60 with deda 35 "trying to initiate the gorilla". I didn't want to stick to the mainstream sprint bikes but whatever you chose I will certainly be interested in following the build. I vote NK1K out of your selection :mrgreen:

How do you find the C60 in a sprint. I really like the look of the bike. but the local Colnago agent keeps pushing me towards the V1r 'Ferrari' which doesn't quite have the same impact.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

If you believe fit is more important than style, you would already have eliminated some option. A H1 madone fit and the Cipollini geometry are quite different from the rest. Throwing the c60 into the comparison is baffling.

AZK

by AZK

Kayrehn wrote:If you believe fit is more important than style, you would already have eliminated some option. A H1 madone fit and the Cipollini geometry are quite different from the rest. Throwing the c60 into the comparison is baffling.

Correct, thats why the C60 is not mentioned in my original post.

TomColnago

by TomColnago

AZK wrote:

How do you find the C60 in a sprint. I really like the look of the bike. but the local Colnago agent keeps pushing me towards the V1r 'Ferrari' which doesn't quite have the same impact.

I find it really good in a sprint, nice and solid bottom bracket area. Can't fault it as a race bike as it handles really well and as said can cope with a sprint.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

I have both the C60 and the RB1k.
As for sprinting, I think the C60 is a tad more responsive due to the lighter overall weight as oppose to the RB1k.
Comparing the two, I feel no difference in BB stiffness.
However, the RB1k has a better ride quality. IMHO I find the C60 to be harsh, and not as "refine" as the Cipo (similar tire pressure on both).

Cheers

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

AZK wrote:...How do you find the C60 in a sprint. I really like the look of the bike. but the local Colnago agent keeps pushing me towards the V1r 'Ferrari' which doesn't quite have the same impact.

Until they move the rear brake back to where it belongs I wouldn't even consider the V1R.

I think what mostly makes a bicycle a sprinter's bike, are the legs driving it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AZK

by AZK

After looking at & testing a few more bikes including the new Foil, F8 & Bond. It's been decided to narrow my choice to the Madone & the RB1K instead of NK1K

Subsequent to spending more time, than Quintana did on Froome's rear wheel on the Queen stage, comparing the two Cipollini's in the LBS. I've concluded that the RB1K makes me feel like I'm about to be touched for the very first time. :oops:

The wannebe German :smartass: inside of me meticulously, systematically & conclusively reminds me the Madone is the better option. (Life time warranty, Actual test data which it excels in)

'NEIN dass RB Eintausend is 6 years old! '

Of just these TWO. which would you guys go for and why, and has anyone fitted the new wide rims and tyres in a RB1K frame?

The 2017 Madone seems to only be a colour change, No news on 2017 Cipollini changes yet.
Last edited by AZK on Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrgray

by mrgray

i'd go the cippo because it excites. you're at a level of bike where performance doesn't differ too much i dare say. get the one that you get more excited about. no thinking about practicalities such as warranties. get carried away.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

mrgray

by mrgray

Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

kgt

by kgt

Madone is the 'logical' choise but RB1K is much more exclucive and exciting, I agree.
The Madone is the new thing right now but it will look soooo dated after a couple of years. The Cipollini, although several years old, is still an amazing machine.

AZK

by AZK

kgt wrote:Madone is the 'logical' choise but RB1K is much more exclucive and exciting, I agree.
The Madone is the new thing right now but it will look soooo dated after a couple of years. The Cipollini, although several years old, is still an amazing machine.

Not so sure If the Madone will end up dated in a bad way? H2 maybe but the H1 almost looks like a different bike. +1 on Exclusive & exciting!

Do you know if the RB1K can take 28mm wide rims and 25mm tyres ? I've seen a few on ENVE 6.7 and older Zipps which I believe are 24-26mm rims.

mrgray wrote:i'd go the cippo because it excites. you're at a level of bike where performance doesn't differ too much i dare say. get the one that you get more excited about. no thinking about practicalities such as warranties. get carried away.

You are giving me the urge to put on a panda suit and ride a plastic horse!

mrgray wrote:also have you seen this http://cyclingtips.com/2015/10/bikes-of ... lini-rb1k/

Thank you for sharing, read it before but have to confess I just did again!

2 for Cipollini
0 for Trek

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Couple of points to add..
I believe 25mm should be fine, but not sure about wide rims on the Cipo though.
The weight on the RB1k has gone down quite a fair bit, vs the original RB1k. This means the overall weight on the RB1k is probably lighter than the Madone.

I've test ridden the Madone 9. It's definitely more compliant than the Cipo, that's for sure.
However I do not think the Cipo is harsh either, though you can definitely "feel" the road much more than the Madone.
Bottom line is, if you're looking for an "unadulterated" ride, the Cipo is more suited for you. However if you want a mix of compliancy and aero, the Madone is probably the way to go.

Do take note that the Madone has quite a number of integrated components (specifically the headtube area) which can be a hassle if you intend to travel around with it. The Cipo is straightforward hence assembly will be much faster and less tedious.

Cheers

AZK

by AZK

maverick_1 wrote:Couple of points to add..
I believe 25mm should be fine, but not sure about wide rims on the Cipo though.
The weight on the RB1k has gone down quite a fair bit, vs the original RB1k. This means the overall weight on the RB1k is probably lighter than the Madone.

I've test ridden the Madone 9. It's definitely more compliant than the Cipo, that's for sure.
However I do not think the Cipo is harsh either, though you can definitely "feel" the road much more than the Madone.
Bottom line is, if you're looking for an "unadulterated" ride, the Cipo is more suited for you. However if you want a mix of compliancy and aero, the Madone is probably the way to go.

Do take note that the Madone has quite a number of integrated components (specifically the headtube area) which can be a hassle if you intend to travel around with it. The Cipo is straightforward hence assembly will be much faster and less tedious.

Cheers

Thanks for the info/review, I never thought the RB1K would be lighter! If this is the case there is very little going for the Madone right now. A friend has the Madone and yes it was quite a job to setup everything when going mechanical. About a month ago we switched his to etap and it was a breeze. Getting the cables through the bar into the headtube Is probably the worst part.

I had a HED Stinger wheelset and loved them. The wide rim really changed the character of the tubs and winds hardly mattered. Was thinking about ENVE 7.8's but it seems they will only fit on the Trek?

On the other hand I just found out that the Trek can only take 24mm spindle cranks (37mm BB shell ID). Which means I will have to sell my beloved 30mm SRAM SRM :cry:

I mostly do 1hr crits and the local RRs are 100k at most so 2.5hr is probably the longest I’ll spend racing. Judging by your experience of the RB1K the Cipollini seems to be the one for me!

Cipollini 3
Trek 0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com