Ryan's Aero Acceptance: Scott Foil Team 2016

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Delorre

by Delorre

The Canyon 1.25 expander that comes with the lower headset topcap is 25gr. Just weighted mine. I only use it for initial compression, but remove it afterwards. I have a DIY cork part with nut in my steering tube if i want to use the stem topcap, but most of the time, I only use the stock Canyon hollow topcap without anything in the steering tube :wink: Looking forward for the rest of the build 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

Yeah, when I began putting together the spreadsheet, I thought about your build and had a whole new appreciation for the weight you achieved.

I took apart the seatpost yesterday and the post itself is pretty thick walled and came in at 143g. I think a 200g combo might be possible.

The true aero wheels are quite porky. The Bontrager Aeolus 5's seem to be the best compromise at sub 1300g with good crosswind performance and brake performance. I suppose I could go custom Enve 4.5's with Tune Hubs but price-wise that's getting back up to whatever I'd sell my RZRs for. I'll probably use the Reynold's Thirty-Two's most of the time, since I have 27mm tubs on them and they weigh 1080g. Not an aero combo but for group rides/training rides, that's fine with me.

BmanX

by BmanX

It just depends on what the build it going to be used for. I might have missed that.

BERK saddle/post combo for sure and not sure what bar/stem you are going to use but you could have him do a combo there as well.

Aero wheels are a tough call but I wish I had done tubulars at sub 1000g.

The eTap will be very nice on this build.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

RyanH

by RyanH

@dudemanppl
The 80mm version are about 3w slower than 808's

Trying to be an aero-weenie here!

@delorre, I'll keep my eye out for one of those. I may jury-rig the Extralite expander with a thick o-ring to use after setting the initial pre-load.

@bmanx, it'll be my race bike. I'm trying to keep the exotic to a minimum, this will be a workhorse, something that I hopefully won't be as subconsciously concerned about as I am with the R5ca. I'm using the Syncros Bar/Stem, which is porky at 395g but the frame is designed around it.

RyanH

by RyanH

Day 2 Diary

Dear Diary:

Bar/stem still has not come yet...it's been a full day...what is taking Scott so long to ship? If this were Amazon, it would have been here ages ago...but I digress.

Here's a shot of inside of the HT for those that get off on those types of things.They managed to mold a serial or something of that sort into the inner part of the head tube...I'm mildly impressed.

Included in the frame weight is this clever chain catcher, it weighs 3g:

SRAM Titanium FD bolt plus Scott carbon FD hanger bushing/washer/??:

All of the above replaced this:

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I have Tune 70/170 hubs laced to Enve 4.5... just saying.. Those RZR's would be mighty nice on the BH Ultralight Evo..
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

Jcgill

by Jcgill

This is going to be an epic build like all of you previous builds.
I must say i teally like the factory colors on this frame!

RyanH

by RyanH

Thanks everyone, trying to keep this build in check, but that's not working out as well as I had hoped since the TriRig brakes had to go back, and ee's are on their way for twice as much as the TriRigs cost :-(

The Direct Mount had a lot of flex in it, which may be okay for a TT bike but didn't want to risk it for a road bike where I value good braking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0h1A_6DN1Q

I have Zipp 404's coming next week. Found out about the wonderful world of Facebook Online Swap Meet and got an awesome deal on Firecrests. Now I need to keep my eye out for a rear 808, right?

Hopefully the bars will be at the LBS early next week.

JasperGr

by JasperGr

Thats not a DM brake but a traditional brake with a adaptor mount ;). I really like to see the Sram DM brake... Which cables are you gonna use? I discovered that the Jagwire Elite Link are not compatible with the Scott Foil....

RyanH

by RyanH

So, the TriRig brakes went back. Unfortunately won't have a ride report to share. They did come in overweight but everything was thick steel, so probably a lot of room to tune with Ti bolts.

Bare brake, no hardware @ 107g:

Hardware and pads @ 120g:

Leftover hardware and pads @ 81g:

That puts the TriRigs at 146g with the DM adapter but no pads, so they're heavier than DA DM brakes.

BmanX

by BmanX

They are not the lightest for sure BUT you could use an EE brake on the rear and the TriRig on the front and you get fairly good braking and a combined weight savings that is not that bad. I guess you just have to figure out what direction you want to go. Aero or weight savings. EE on the rear does not cause an aero penalty. I have done the EE rear and TriRig front on several road and tri bikes and it works pretty well. I do not have direct mount so I do not have the added flex on the front.

Right now I am using dual Omega's on my tri bike which is 15 lbs and I am using a single Omega X on the front and an EE brake on the rear on my aero road bike. The Omega X standard mount is very good on the aero road bike.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

RyanH

by RyanH

@bmanx, yeah my concern though is that the front provides most of the braking and with the amount of flex present due to the DM adapter, it wasn't a risk I was willing to take (not being able to return it and all). I got the eeBrakes with aero faring, extremely solid when mounted. I'm bummed though, since I was hoping for some extra watts saved.

BmanX

by BmanX

I am not sure of the different between the EE brake with aero faring VS Omega but I understand your issue and after seeing the flex in that brake I would not be impressed either. Lucky for me, I am able to use this with a nice solid bolt into the fork.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

Yay, bars came (on Monday), so the build continues!

Syncros Bar/Stem Combo @ 387g:

Combo Frontal View:

Image[/url

Aluminum Garmin Short Mount...Eeek @ 37g:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HHoN9D]Image

Carbon bottom piece @ 9g (included in the 387g):

`eeBrake Direct Mounts @ 170g with all hardware (166g without leftovers):