Ryan's Aero Acceptance: Scott Foil Team 2016

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

TiCass

by TiCass

Can tell us how is the ride with the enve 35cm c-c at the hood?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

It's strange at first. Riding on the hoods is not really noticeably different but you notice it most when you're out of the saddle on the hoods. The best I can describe it is that it feels like being out of the saddle on the tops. Going back and forth between regular bars (even though they're 38 ctc at the hoods) and these, you get that sensation when you first hop on. After an hour or so, you adapt and it feels more normal.

Also, I really like the large flare. 40cm at the drops I think is a good width and your arms have pretty much zero chance of hitting the tops of the bars.

TiCass

by TiCass

Thx
Have you measured it being faster than a regular handlebar?

RyanH

by RyanH

I haven't tested it yet. I've been out of town for a few weeks so I haven't had a chance. I'll probably get a few runs in this week to see how it compares to the previous results.

I have two complaints about the bars though: cable routing is tight and it took me quite a few attempts before the brakes weren't dragging and the clamping area is pretty much just the size of the stem faceplate. I spent awhile grinding down my SRM mount to try to make it work but no go.

BmanX

by BmanX

Aero and Light is the only way to roll.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

RyanH

by RyanH

I definitely have a new appreciation for the weight you've achieved with your build. I'm struggling to get below 13 lbs and I feel like the RZRs are cheating as is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BmanX

by BmanX

It was an amazing project but the weight will come back up a bit with a few new items in the near future. But 13 lbs for an aero build is great. I am sure I would have been able to hit 12.5 if I did a lot of other tricks others have done on this site but aero had to trump weight as it is king.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

kode54

by kode54

what's that shroud cover for the stem? never seen that before.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

good job ryan. you don't have a problem, just keep on cutting weight on the bike and you will for sure reach between 12-13 pounds. get lighter skewers like 35 gram tunes, mcfk fork expander bolt, ax lightness saddle, plastic bar end covers, titanium axles for pedals, lighter tires (but not crazy light)

RyanH

by RyanH

Shroud cover came with the Bar/Stem combo. Too bad slamthatstem doesn't make a 1 1/4 version cause I think I'd save 10g or so.

I need to find an expander that will fit inside the oversized steerer or figure out how to shim the Ultrastar since the current expander is 48g. Pedals are already Ti spindles, although I have Ti bowties I'll be putting on once I order the Ti bolts (so, -20g?). I've done the superlight saddles before, but I prefer the Berk saddles. I could save 100g or so by getting a combo done, I just need to find a spare post to ship to Jure. I ordered CarbonWorks 6g cages, so fingers crossed, they'll be sturdy and suitable for racing (-40g). I'll probably put on some lighter chainrings, which should save 50g if I can find some 53/39 that come in around 120g.

I'm considering putting "race" tires on the RZRs, which would be a Record up front and maybe an extreme on the rear or a Carbon. That'd save 100g almost over the Vittoria Corsa G+ tires and shouldn't incur a rolling resistance penalty. If anything, I think the Records have one of the lowest RR and the narrow width should be more aero than 23mm on the RZRs.

Current weight with RZRs and Zipp Ti Skewers is 6,187g.

Delorre

by Delorre

RyanH wrote:Yay, bars came (on Monday), so the build continues!

Syncros Bar/Stem Combo @ 387g:

Is that a 110/400 combo you have there?

RyanH

by RyanH

It was 100/40 I think cause I think they didn't have 38 as an option. In reality I should have had a 120