Damon Rinard's 2016 Cannondale CAAD8 105

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Maybe a wide Berk saddle? I think they're 150mm.

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Thanks.
I like that Berk is making a wider saddle!
I'm putting this in my $/g spreadsheet.
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Yeah weird how he only makes 132 and 150 though considering Specialized defaults to 143.

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

The handlebar tape goes on.

Got a great deal ($0) on some Cannondale Synapse handlebar tape.
Image Image

80 grams before, 26 grams left over, so should be about 54 grams installed.

From searching on here, I understand this is a pretty typical weight for "cork" handlebar tape.
This is somewhat in line with my old listings: http://sheldonbrown.com/rinard/weights.htm#tape

Code: Select all

MAKE      MODEL           MASS, g     COMMENTS
3TTT Ergo groove covers   4.9         pair
electrical tape instead   6.17        about 5 feet
Tioga     Hybrid           18         from 42cm bars w/1" cut from each side
Sampson   Fat Wrap         22         from 43cm bars
Tioga     Hybrid           23         cotton with synthetic bumps
Benotto   thin             29         from 42cm bars w/1" cut from each side
CatEye    Benotto style    31         uncut
Benotto   thin             33         from 42cm bars
Benotto   thin             36         uncut
Cinelli cork               38         from 38cm bars
cork ribbon                40         from 40cm bars
cloth                      46         uncut, w/spools
Cinelli   cork             53.57      as installed, w/o paper backing, w/plugs, elect. tape, rubber groove inserts
Bike Ribbon                66         uncut
Pelten    bike ribbon      66         uncut
Schwinn   Paramount        84         like Bike Ribbon, but from Taiwan

In this list, you can see here Cinelli cork was around 38-40 grams; it gets close to the Synapse tape, at 54 grams, if you include their rubber groove inserts. The heavier tapes, 66 grams and up, are padded vinyl, not cork.

The Cannondale Synapse tape, in additon to the "cork," has a layer of gel, so that may explain why it's on the heavy side. The stretch is great, makes it super easy to wrap. Also, the taper is right - it goes on smooth, not lumpy. I rode it today and the grip is good too.

Speaking of grip, Andreas Klier taught me about the right tape (and the wrong tape!) for Paris-Roubaix. In the 2009 race, Cervelo TestTeam used the standard team issue tape, I think "Cork" from Silva, and it was pretty normal cork tape for those days.

The riders requested the usual tricks: double wrapped, double only on the tops, etc., but on top, normal cork tape.

The next year, in 2010, several riders got severe blisters on the recon rides during the days leading up to P-R. Andreas figured out what had changed, and why it had such a different effect that year: the tape. Gloves were the same materials, no difference there. But the surface of the tape was sueded, or brushed, a kind of extra-grip surface. Sounds perfect for P-R, no? So perfect, Specialized called their version Roubaix tape.

Just searched google, and it easily found this 2008 article that mentions the Specialized Roubaix tape and shows a picture of it on Tom Boonen's handlebar (along with a ton of padding).

https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/tom-boon ... A6mw6gA.97

Well, the pictures don't show up in the article for me, but google has it:

This sueded or brushed extra grip surface was what gave the riders trouble in 2010: As everyone knows, the cobbles made the bike move. Andreas put it this way: With normal tape, the movement happens between the tape and glove, but with grippy "Roubaix" tape, it happens between the glove and hand.

So for most roads, a brushed tape is good. But for cobbles, don't go for too much grip!

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard

glepore

by glepore

Make sure you get the light supersix expander from the corporate parts bin.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Damon - am loving this thread, same as everyone else it seems, and like you my sit bones are quite wide for a male. Earlier this year I had them measured for the first time after a position change was causing havoc down there. Turns out I need a super wide saddle and am currently rocking 168 Specialized Power saddles. I also have a Selle San Marco Regale Carbon FX (super long name) that is 155 wide and that has excellent comfort for me. I've used this on a 12+ hour ride and it was still ok at the end of that. It's quite light and comes in a design similar to the Cannondale saddle above. Definitely worth checking out.

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

glepore wrote:Make sure you get the light supersix expander from the corporate parts bin.

No doubt. That fork expander has been lightened to within an inch of its life. Chris Dodman did a ton of FEA to remove as much material as possible to save weight, while still retaining excellent support for the steerer wall. Chris is the genius behind the SiSL2 cranks, SpideRing, and other weight weenie Cannondale parts.

But for now my CAAD8's stock fork, the Cannondale Ultra, has an aluminum steerer and a normal star nut.

Anyone know what one of those weighs? I'm guessing maybe 10 grams?

Damon Rinard

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

@Fixie82: Thanks, those are some interesting saddles to consider. I'll add them to my $/g spreadsheet.
Damon Rinard

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

First ride yesterday.

7.900 kg as pictured, including Powertap hub:

Rides great!

- Shifting: I love the SRAM Red shifting response: next gear? BAM! I'm there.
- Stiffness: Plenty to spare. Climbing, sprinting, descending, cornering, it's all helped.
- Quiet: No squeaks, no rattles.
- Looks: Black & white, clean.

Dislikes:
- Bars: I want to change the bar angle & brake hood position somehow, but that's adjusting to personal preference and not hard to tune.
- Stickers: I should peel off the stickers on the front wheel. It's not really as labeled anyway - Kinlin rim, Wheelsmith spokes. I just have to find the time to chip off the decals. Unfortunately, they break, they don't peel.
- Red: I'm thinking how I can get rid of the tiny bits of red color. Any suggestions? Black paint?

Cheers,
Damon
Last edited by DamonRinard on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Damon Rinard

2lo8

by 2lo8

Steel star nuts are 10g give or take a gram. Alloy ones are even lighter though, but not enough to worry about. Paired with a lightweight top cap and alloy preload bolt, 7-8g. Not sure about the cannondale expander, but something like 17 if I remember correctly. You're talking about saving just a few grams. I'd also have to wonder if the wall thickness is the same.

Of course, cosmetic dust caps are lightest, and an alloy steerer doesn't need internal support. That's the main reason to go with an expander instead of a star nut on alloy. I made a plastic dust cap that weights all of 2g(?) that replaces the top cap, the bolt, and the star nut/expander.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi 2lo8,

Thanks for confirming the 10 gram steel star nut. Alloy star nut? Wow, I've never heard of it. But I think you're right, 2-3 grams savings can't make it high on the $/g list, given I don't even know where to find an alloy star nut! The alloy bolt and thin top cap are tempting though...

Re: Cosmetic caps. I know people ride without the top cap, but I've seen stems walk on the steerer, so I'm keeping a top cap. I want at least a little mechanical connection with the fork. I'll go for alloy bolts & thin top caps, but I won't leave it off.

I think you reviewed a very thin top cap on your blog, right? Got a link?
Edit: Found it. https://2lo8.wordpress.com/2016/05/03/aerozine-top-cap/

Thanks for the tips.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard

2lo8

by 2lo8

Carbon top caps are just about as light. I just really don't like 3k weave on parts like that. They're much easier to find though and you don't have to import them. The problem is finding an aluminum M6 bolt for them, which you may or may not be able to find if you have access to a specialty hardware supplier, since there's really not a whole lot of industrial use for aluminum hardware. A lot of the weight savings comes from replacing steel with aluminum, not aluminum with lighter aluminum or carbon.

https://2lo8.wordpress.com/2016/05/03/jl-top-cap/ is better $/g. Half the price but only 1g heavier. Very plain looking though. Looks like the stock dome shaped top caps that are ubiquitous as OEM equipment.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi 2lo8,

Good point. I have an FSA carbon top cap, with aluminum bolt, that I can weigh.

Agreed, an aluminum M6 bolt might not be easy to find. Probably easier to buy that J&L top cap, that already comes with it.

Thanks for the link to that. Personally, I like the sleeper look.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard

KCookie

by KCookie

If you decided to get a saddle from Jure Berk you could get a matching top cap as well, I've now had 3, the latest two are revamped as the first one was so thin it distorted, they look awesome and he is so easy to deal with. They are 3g each, so nice a light.

theletterk

by theletterk

So much to learn from this thread!! Thanks for all the information.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com