My weenie project

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Nimit

by Nimit

Hi fellow weenies,

I have enjoyed browsing this forum in the past and used several threads for inspiration on the rebuild of my 1997 Trek 5500:

While not super light by weight weenies standards at 7,5 kg (size 60), I was pretty happy with this bike. Was, because it was irreparably damaged in a recent collision... Because I love the ride of the 5500 so much (much better than any modern bikes I have ridden, including a Canyon Aeroad and Trek Emonda), I'm thinking of transferring all the parts to another 5500 frame if i can find one... So if anyone know's of a 5500 frame (preferably with a 1 inch fork) for sale please let me know!

I'm looking to get the new bike under the UCI's 6,8 kg limit, should not be to hard if I only apply clear coat to save weight on primer and paint + a lighter saddle and seatpost. If anyone has any suggestions for further weight saving please let me know. If I'm able to find the new frame, I will post updates of the rebuild here.

BmanX

by BmanX

There is so much potential with a frame like this. I would really like to get my hands on a 54cm frame like this for a 1x build. These builds stripped down with a single downtube carbon shifter and everything else removed could be a very light build and if cheap enough not that much to worry about if something got damaged. These frames stripped down look amazing as well.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nimit

by Nimit

BmanX wrote:There is so much potential with a frame like this. I would really like to get my hands on a 54cm frame like this for a 1x build. These builds stripped down with a single downtube carbon shifter and everything else removed could be a very light build and if cheap enough not that much to worry about if something got damaged. These frames stripped down look amazing as well.

Agreed, for a 54cm frame the fully stripped weight (no paint or cable stops) will be very close to or under 1 kg, my 60 cm was approx. 1,2 kg in nude carbon. Impressive for an almost 20 year old frame! Plus it's a great combination of comfort/stiffness if you put a good front fork in it, and looks like a bike should look IMHO, no fancy slooping/aero/asymmetric/whatever is new and hip right now style frame.