2016 Neilpryde Bura SL2 mini review.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

So, after owning the original Bura SL for a couple of years I incurred some damage to the frame, likely in transit but noticed it sometime during a stage race. Bummer. I spoke with Neilpryde and before I knew it I had purchased a frameset and it was on its way from Hong Kong. Two days later, my new 2016 Bura SL2 arrived.

Firstly, they've changed a few things, it's now BB86, hugely asymmetric in design and has a few other small changes including internal routing and a new fork. It's the same geometry and keeps it's super light focus. Although, it was a touch heavier than my old model, probably due to the paint. (760g vs 810g). The old on was a light matte raw carbon finish, the new one is a glossy black finish. Side by side the old frame now looks very skinny, the new BB area, down tube and chain stays are monstrous.

I built it up much the same as my old model, I used wmfg BB86 press fit bearings to fit a rotor 3d+ power2max which was also a touch heavier than my old sworks p2m unit. The rest of the parts are as follows:

Dura ace 9000 mechanical,
Rotor aero qrings,
Sworks aerofly bars,
Sworks seat post w/ berk saddle
Zipp service course sl stem.

Wheels are either Hunt Aero-wides or Reynolds Aero 46 tubs.

7kg flat with the hunt wheels on, w cages and pedals etc.

The ride:

I have to say, with the few small changes, like the p2m and internal cable routing the bike is overall about 200g heavier than my old build. When you pick it up, you can tell (it sounds stupid I know). That being said, once you're on the saddle you'd never tell. With the new bb area the stiffness is savage. This bike wants to make you go fast! When climbing, getting up out of the saddle just outs a grin on my face. It feels very solid beneath you. The biggest difference is the ride quality and handling. They've made the front much softer over bumps and cracks in the road with the new fork. The old model was harsh at times but the new one is crazy smooth, I almost can't believe it sometimes. I think the new integrated seat clamp allows a touch more seat post flex as well for good measure. Combining the silky smooth ride quality with the extra stiffness the handling steeps you in confidence. I've not had it nearly at the limit yet, it's great, just look were you want to go and lay the bike over and hold on tight! Its much less skittish than before. The ride is akin to the 2015 Sworks tarmac I had, but it's lighter and feels much racier when it comes to standing on the pedals.

Now for the bad bits:
Internal routing, I've never been a huge fan of it. The hold bura had external and it was prefect, easy to deal with but it wasn't that clean visually. The snap in guides that come with the frame seem a little cheap and flimsy but they do the job they were made for. The rear brake runs the outer over the whole length in the frame, so it adds a bit of weight and is a ballache to work on. But all said and done, it's a minor gripe. I've always said that I don't like internal routing. Perhaps it's di2 time anyways :)

Overall neilpryde have done a great job with the new bike. I'm very impressed. They were very easy to deal with and I couldn't be happier with the new build. So full stoke all round!

https://www.instagram.com/justinhomewood/

J

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Birdman

by Birdman

Very nice!

The rear brake uses a full length cable housing? Can you snap a picture of how the rear brake housing enter and exit the frame? I'm interested in the entry and exit angles, would like to know how smooth the routing is. THANKS!
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

Birdman wrote:Very nice!

The rear brake uses a full length cable housing? Can you snap a picture of how the rear brake housing enter and exit the frame? I'm interested in the entry and exit angles, would like to know how smooth the routing is. THANKS!

The angles are very smooth Birdman, i ended up using some foam on the housing to stop the rattling on the top tube. Now that i have the build dialled i am very pleased with how it all works.

Beverly

by Beverly

Looks great, thanks for the review. I do like the built in clamp, clean. :thumbup:

mjolnir

by mjolnir

LOVE my NeilPryde for all the reasons you list. It's crazy light (mine is weighing in at 12.7 lbs) but it isn't at all twitchy. It's just as solid under a full sprint as it is light for the high climbs. I can't say enough good things about these bikes.

NeilPryde Bura SL: 12.7 lbs
Cervelo R5 VWD: 12.9 lbs
Cervelo R3 SL: 14.1 lbs
Parlee Z4: 14.4 lbs
Ritte Bossberg 3.0: 14.6 lbs
Colnago C50: 15.2 lbs
Litespeed L1r: 15.3 lbs
Ridley Noah: 15.8 lbs
Ritte Crossberg: 16.9 lbs

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

Mjon
mjolnir wrote:LOVE my NeilPryde for all the reasons you list. It's crazy light (mine is weighing in at 12.7 lbs) but it isn't at all twitchy. It's just as solid under a full sprint as it is light for the high climbs. I can't say enough good things about these bikes.

12.7lbs, thats crazy! They feel so solid for their weight hey! The new one feels extra planted in corners, I've been hugely impressed by it. Neilpryde are definitely a bit under-rated, i also own a Bayamo TT bike from them and i can't praise it enough. i imagine that its probably not the all-out fastest TT bike in a wind tunnel but it also feels super planted, you can really throw it around and be aggressive with it if you need to.

mjolnir

by mjolnir

Jhomewood wrote:Mjon
mjolnir wrote:LOVE my NeilPryde for all the reasons you list. It's crazy light (mine is weighing in at 12.7 lbs) but it isn't at all twitchy. It's just as solid under a full sprint as it is light for the high climbs. I can't say enough good things about these bikes.

12.7lbs, thats crazy! They feel so solid for their weight hey! The new one feels extra planted in corners, I've been hugely impressed by it. Neilpryde are definitely a bit under-rated, i also own a Bayamo TT bike from them and i can't praise it enough. i imagine that its probably not the all-out fastest TT bike in a wind tunnel but it also feels super planted, you can really throw it around and be aggressive with it if you need to.

Well, with the frameset being so insanely light, it wasn't too hard to get the weight down. I really didn't even use anything too exotic outside of the rear brake (and even that's not really "exotic"). Everything else is pretty functional stuff (Sram, Zipp etc) that is light but also very reliable. Of course the 202's really help keep it light as well ;)

Bottom line, I am just as comfortable using this bike for a crit race as I am using it for a hilly road race. It's probably my favorite bike to ride because it feels like I am cheating. It is just so nimble and responsive that I save a ton of energy and when I get on the pedals for a sprint it just goes with nothing lost in translation between me and the pedals! Plus at 12.7lbs, going up hill is a breeze (relatively speaking for a non-hill climber like me).

I don't use it for every ride (more because I like variety than anything else) but if I could only keep one bike from my garage, this would be the one.

Congrats on your new ride, she's a beaut!
NeilPryde Bura SL: 12.7 lbs
Cervelo R5 VWD: 12.9 lbs
Cervelo R3 SL: 14.1 lbs
Parlee Z4: 14.4 lbs
Ritte Bossberg 3.0: 14.6 lbs
Colnago C50: 15.2 lbs
Litespeed L1r: 15.3 lbs
Ridley Noah: 15.8 lbs
Ritte Crossberg: 16.9 lbs

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

mjolnir wrote: It's probably my favorite bike to ride because it feels like I am cheating

This. This is exactly how i feel as well.

Jhong

by Jhong

I also like bura sl frame!!!:-)
These are good!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com