NOS Colnago EPS Mapei Traditional build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

tids0009

by tids0009

What would people recommend for pedals? I have used the Campy Record pedals since 2001 and done so many km's on them I lost count but never touched them and they have never given me any issues at all. The polished alloy just doesn't really suit this build and I am thinking Look Keo Blade 2 pro team as the multi colour look logo will suit the Mapei cubes on the top tube.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

I'm in love with your frame! [emoji3]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Look565w

by Look565w

JKolmo wrote:I'm in love with your frame!

Me too! :thumbup:

Lighti

by Lighti

Only old pic with Ventoux i have here at work [emoji41]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Pedals: Its funny that Campy has just ignored any further refinements of their pedals for years. Like you say, they are bombproof. Triplesealed affairs that would probably last forever. I eventually sold mine and adopted dura ace and never looked back. The cleats are as important as the pedals and the dura ace provide a nice wide platform, give you three levels of float from zero (red cleats), through blue (med float) to yellow (max float), and they last a good amount of time. Plus, with the rubber pads on the ends they are the easiest road cleats to walk with when you're off the bike. I found with the record pedals the cleats seemed to attract debris and small stones easily got lodged in them, much moreso than duraace. I had a brief foray with using the Look Keo blade Ti, but aside from being very light and admittedly look pretty cool, functionally the Duraace were better. And while they did have alternative cleats which were made for easier walking (versus like being on a skating rink), those cleats didn't work nearly as well when actually riding as their regular cleats, so I didn't find them to be much use. So, overall if you can look past the slight mix of campy and shimano (and I think even campy would give you the nod on this one), the duraace would go nicely here.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

tids0009

by tids0009

Lighti wrote:Image

Only old pic with Ventoux i have here at work [emoji41]

Thanks Lighti, that looks brilliant in my opinion. Now I'm wondering if I should go all black tyres too or stay with the tan walls. Very nice build.

tids0009

by tids0009

Calnago wrote:Pedals: Its funny that Campy has just ignored any further refinements of their pedals for years. Like you say, they are bombproof. Triplesealed affairs that would probably last forever. I eventually sold mine and adopted dura ace and never looked back. The cleats are as important as the pedals and the dura ace provide a nice wide platform, give you three levels of float from zero (red cleats), through blue (med float) to yellow (max float), and they last a good amount of time. Plus, with the rubber pads on the ends they are the easiest road cleats to walk with when you're off the bike. I found with the record pedals the cleats seemed to attract debris and small stones easily got lodged in them, much moreso than duraace. I had a brief foray with using the Look Keo blade Ti, but aside from being very light and admittedly look pretty cool, functionally the Duraace were better. And while they did have alternative cleats which were made for easier walking (versus like being on a skating rink), those cleats didn't work nearly as well when actually riding as their regular cleats, so I didn't find them to be much use. So, overall if you can look past the slight mix of campy and shimano (and I think even campy would give you the nod on this one), the duraace would go nicely here.

Thanks for your comments Calnago, i always enjoy reading your thoughts and feedback. I feel the same way, Campy have ignored their pedals and done nothing with them for around 15 years!!!! I was actually looking at some Shimano pedals a while ago and getting them re-painted/finished to de-shimano them but then thought it might be better to just go with the Looks, save some weight and not do anything to them. In all likelihood i will probably continue riding the Campy pedals until i can afford to upgrade the pedals on all my bikes as i don't intend on having a different pair of shoes for every bike. I have heard only good things about the Shimano pedals but mixed reviews on the Look Blades. Would be nice to be able to try both before committing.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Regarding the Look pedals.... I had a lot of not good experiences with those. Squeeking, much play in the axis...

Shimano was always TOP to me.

Lighti

by Lighti

tids0009 wrote:
Lighti wrote:Image

Only old pic with Ventoux i have here at work

Thanks Lighti, that looks brilliant in my opinion. Now I'm wondering if I should go all black tyres too or stay with the tan walls. Very nice build.

Thanks. Please stay with tan sidewalls. I'm just thinking about white bar tape :D

kgt

by kgt

Your bike looks fab! I would keep the black tires. The 'tan sidewalls' trend is cool but not good for every single road bike.
I would go for black record brake calipers as well.

tids0009

by tids0009

YAY, stem arrived last night. Will be able to make some progress this weekend and then hopefully get some new pictures up early next week. Now if only the seat would arrive!

tids0009

by tids0009

Here it is with steel bolts, will weight it with the original bolts and again when I change all the bolts for titanium ones.

tids0009

by tids0009

Very slowly getting there. Still waiting for the stupid saddle to arrive so I can adjust the seat post height. Stem is a bit too out there I think and may have been better off getting a Deda Super Leggero BOB stem I think. All other parts (apart from pedals) are pretty much done, fine tuning left, cautting cables, adjusting brake pads, bar tape wrapping etc.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Looks great so far. Re the stem, maybe just remove the white stripes, top and bottom from it. Otherwise I think the white "Deda" logo goes with the seatpost and "Colnago" logos quite nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Lighti

by Lighti

Wwwwwooooooowwww so nice well done [emoji106][emoji3]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com