Eddy Merckx Team SC build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

quadlt250

by quadlt250

Hey guys, I signed up a while ago but haven't posted much.
I just picked up a 2001 Eddy Merckx Team SC frame, and will be starting to search for parts to build it up fairly soon.

I am still deciding on a groupset, looking for input between 3 options:
-newer 11 speed Campagnolo
-older 10 speed Campagnolo
-10 speed Sram (leaning this way as it would save me big $$ and already have wheels, but would this be blasphemous to go non-Campy (haha)? I currently use 10 speed Sram on 2 road bikes, a CX bike, and my TT bike)

Also for bars/stem/post, I am considering the Ritchey Classic parts. They are inexpensive, and I like the look of them. Input also welcome here.

I probably won't be racing this bike, more looking at using it for slower group rides (ie. the monday recovery ride, or maybe a gran fondo with friends).

Thanks for everything,
Jakob

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rd

by rd

Absolutely love these frames, especially in traditional geometry. Always on the look out for them.

If it was me I'd go 10-speed SRAM for the reasons you listed, with as many black parts as possible so they don't compete with the frame. IMHO SRAM suits the functional race bike aesthetic I think these frames lend themselves to as well.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Congrats on the frame!
Here's my Team SC, for your reference, built with Campy 11.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=123085

tids0009

by tids0009

WOW, congratulations, I absolutely love this frame. If it was me I'd definitely build it with campy and put some nice tan wall veloflexes on either classic style wheels (ambrosio nemesis with record hubs) or some nice carbon campy wheels like the Hyperon or bora 35's.

kgt

by kgt

lovely frame!
Certainly Campagnolo.
+1 on Ritchey classic.

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Welcome to the club, what size is your frame? Love it, my vote is for alloy 10-speed campagnolo if you can find it.

micky

by micky

Waiting to see it finished! :thumbup:

quadlt250

by quadlt250

It is a size 54.
The search for 10 speed Campy has begun! (might take a little while in Alberta, Canada)

micky

by micky

Pity I just sold one few weeks ago.
If I happen to have any other one I will send you a pm!

kleenexboutique

by kleenexboutique

I like those Font :)

heathcliff

by heathcliff

Such a great frame you won't regret it ! I have the 2001 model also with the 1" carbon fork steerer in a size 54, absolutely love it . Try and go Campag if you can afford it, just makes sense on such a lovely frame with that pedigree . I have the original 10 speed Campy Daytona (Centaur) groupset on mine with Record cranks, Ksyrium SSC wheelset and updated Deda Zero bar stem and seatpost .This is one road bike I will never sell . A friend has the Red White and Blue Domo Lotto frameset from '02 which comes with a 1 1/8 headset , he kitted his out with a new Campy 11 speed group .
Attachments
IMG_7506.jpg

quadlt250

by quadlt250

I've been pretty busy lately, but here are some updates (sorry about the awful picture quality)

finally got some storage racks for (some) of the bikes

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

That's coming together very nicely. Good choice with the silver stem, bars and seatpost

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Looking forward to the build.

By the way, unless the brake/shift cables are all mounted, I wouldn't take the risk and mount the handlebar+stem onto the steerer.
One slight twist and you may end up denting the toptube if the bars swing over (personal experience).

Cheers

quadlt250

by quadlt250

Update, she's done (sorry again about the poor photo quality, someday ill get a decent camera)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com