Heretic - Custom Titanium Allroad Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Marin

by Marin

Here's my latest build - a custom 3/2.5 titanium frame welded from double butted / tapered tubes to my own design. It's a classic old-school road geometry with 72mm bottom bracket drop, a 72° head angle and 45mm rake carbon forks. My goal was to have relaxed, precise high-speed handling, opposed to the currently popular "crit" geo that to me feels better in the parking lot than out on a mixed-surface 100k ride.

I wanted to have space for at least 35mm tires, and after some tinkering I managed to come up with a spec that leaves 50mm space between the seat stays without external crimping, while still being able to fit 53/39, even though I usually ride a compact, and the Heretic was initially going to be a 1x build.

Since I don't need disc brakes and this was going to be a relatively lightweight build, I opted for canti mounts to be used with Mini-V brakes. I'm a confident descender, and I have some experience riding in the Austrian Alps, so I know good rim brakes are more than enough for me.

Before this becomes too much text, here are some pics:

Because I was bored while waiting for the paint, I created a brand website for my bike -> hereticbikes.com - just to see if I still could. Please forgive the stream-of-consciousness writing ;)

Oh, the frame has hidden fender mounts inside the rear triangle for true year-round riding. Tires are currently the excellent Compass Bon Jon Pass mounted tubeless with 30g of sealant each.

Final weight - 7.3kg with pedals and 1 bottle holder. No real WW parts (except for the AX Lightness Sprint saddle).

Oh, and it rides beautifully. No problems keeping up with the racers on fast road group rides, super smooth on the cobbles and more than just "ok" on gravel and forest trails. Plus, I really like the looks :D :D :D

PS https://www.instagram.com/hereticbikes/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Very nice looking bike. What's that seatpost?

Marin

by Marin

27.2, generic carbon, about 180g

whilgenberg

by whilgenberg

So, color me confused here but did you build this frame yourself?

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Marin wrote:27.2, generic carbon, about 180g

Thanks. I don't suppose you have a link by any chance? Looks like a nice post.

benzebub

by benzebub

awsome bike! will this be a one off project, or are you planning on offering bikes to the public? if so, you have my interest!
But I could be wrong

Marin

by Marin

I'll send you a PM :D

Marin

by Marin

I didn't weld the frame myself :) I contacted a supplier and had them build it to spec. They don't offer a lot of technical consulting though, so I had to do all the design work myself.

Don't have a link for the seatpost - it's been a while since I bought it.
Last edited by Marin on Thu May 19, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

jever98

by jever98

@Marin - nice bike and pretty paint! Will you divulge who made the frame for you?

Cheers
----
No longer in the industry

Marin

by Marin

Hi, I'd rather keep this to myself. If I make more of these, even for myself, I might change suppliers. I actually already did that with the paint shop.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com