Crank Addicts Featured Ride... 2015 Specialized Allez Comp

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

This month's Featured Ride on Crank Addicts is my own 2015 Specialized Allez Comp. Its been a busy early racing season and I wasn't able to schedule in any other shoots in time, so I was forced to use a shoot of my bike that I had in the bank for emergency situations.

Here's the stats.

Frame: 2015 Specialized Allez Comp DSW

Size: 54 Weight: 16.7 lbs
Components: Shimano Ultegra 6800/ 105 5800
Crankset: Shimano Ultegra 6800 52-36 w/ Stages power meter
Bottom Bracket: Praxis BB conversion
Rear Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 6800 11-28
Chain: KMC X11SL
Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace
Brakes: Shimano Ultegra 6800
Saddle: Fizik Antares R1 Braided Carbon
Seatpost: Fizik Cyrano R1 Carbon
Stem: Fizik Cyrano R1 Aluminum
Bars: Specialized S-Works Aerofly
Bar Tape: Specialized S-Works Roubaix Tape
Wheels: Yoeleo Superlight SAT 50×25 Carbon
Tires: Specialized S-Works Turbo 24c front, 26c rear
Bottle cages: Tacx Tao Aluminum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lrdunc

by lrdunc

Love this one. Looks mean!

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Great looking bike. Are you happy with the rims from Yoeleo? I was thinking of ordering my new rims from them. How's the quality of the finish etc?

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

burglarboycie wrote:Great looking bike. Are you happy with the rims from Yoeleo? I was thinking of ordering my new rims from them. How's the quality of the finish etc?

I am very happy with the Yeoleo rims. I've actually had 3 different wheel sets form them over the last 2.5 years and all have lived up to and exceeded my expectations. I bought my first set in June of 2014 and was admittedly a little worried prior to the order. How good would they be? Would they be strong (obviously there are horror stories about no-name brand chinese carbon wheels)? The biggest question at the time for most Chinese rims was the brake track... this wasn't a concern of mine because I was buying disc brake carbon wheels for a disc brake road bike. I was also somewhat comforted by the fact that Yoeleo was very transparent about all of the parts they were using, the brand spokes, hubs etc. It was very clear what you were paying for and replacement parts could be easily sourced as opposed to most of the bay Chinese wheels that leave that stuff as somewhat of a mystery. I also liked the fact that they had their own website and were establishing themselves on Facebook and other social media outlets. They seemed interested in actually establishing themselves as a brand, not just some company that could sell a few wheels on eBay and then disappear. When I got the wheels, my concerns disappeared. I was very impressed with the quality. after I had put a few hundred miles on them, some of my friends decided to take the jump and order rim brake wheels. They too were impressed. Ultimately, I put 4000+ miles on those wheels... hard miles on NJ roads with quite a few pot-holes, bumps, etc. They never went out of true and I had no issues with them. None of my friends with rim brake models had issues either (I think it was 3 or 4 direct riding buddies that ordered them). In October of 2014, I bought my Venge frame and proceeded to build that up and I bought the 50x25mm SAT Superlight wheel set that are in these pictures. Then, in March of 2015 I bought this Allez and ordered a set of 60x25mm SAT Superlight wheels. I put the 60's on the Venge and moved the 50's to the Allez. Over the past year and a bit, I've put over 4000 miles on both sets of wheels, again without issue. As a testament to their strength and build quality, in Oct. 2015, I was involved in a tangle with a friend of mine. His rear quick release ended up getting hooked with right side if my front fork on the Venge at some 30 mph. Somehow we managed to stay upright and not crash, but the spokes on the right side of my front wheel took a lot of damaged as they smashed against his left side chain stay and the bikes continued to roll to a stop. Of the 10 spoked on the right side of the front wheel, 5 were completely broken in half and the other 5 were badly bent. I brought the wheel to my shop and my mechanic was impressed. None of the spokes had pulled out of the carbon or damaged the carbon hoop. The spokes themselves had broken first. There were a few spoke holes on the hub that he thought might have stretch and tweaked a bit and he wasn't positive that new spokes would reseat properly so I ordered a new hub form Yoeleo. I had it in less than a week. It actually took the shop longer to get the spokes than it did me to get the hub. When my mechanic saw the new hub, he was further impressed. He could see several areas where they had modified/improved their design and he was impressed that a so-called "non-name brand" wheel company would be investing the time and money to refine their design and make it better. As he re-built the wheel, he was even more impressed with just how much stress they had gone through without failing. He said he's seen wheels from many name brand companies that hadn't fared as well. I continue to ride both sets of 50 and 60mm wheels without issue.

The biggest issue I have is that at slow speeds, there is a slight amount of brake pulse that comes back through the levers. Its not crazy and its never caused me to crash or caused me any issues, but you can feel it, particularly at slow speeds as you're coming to a final stop at a stoplight etc... maybe under 10 mph. At high speeds, I don't seem to feel it. It also seems to be more noticeable if the bike is dirty.... my mechanic said that its most likely some build up of brake pad material in the brake track and just suggested that I clean the wheels more often. I've noticed that when the bike is freshly cleaned the problem is almost all gone, and then gradually builds back up. My mechanic also said that this is a problem with many carbon wheels at almost all price points.

I've been doing a fair bit of time trial races in my states TT Cup, racing in the Non-TT class and I'm actually thinking of picking up a set of 88mm wheels, so I've got no reservations with spending more money with them. I know its a bit wordy, but I hope that helps.
Last edited by CrankAddictsRich on Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Thanks for that. I feel much happier going ahead with the order now. Interesting about the brake pulsing, if it can be put down to brake dust build up that's not an issue for me as I'm obsessed with cleaning my bike!! :thumbup:
What brake pads are you running?

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

burglarboycie wrote:Thanks for that. I feel much happier going ahead with the order now. Interesting about the brake pulsing, if it can be put down to brake dust build up that's not an issue for me as I'm obsessed with cleaning my bike!! :thumbup:
What brake pads are you running?

I'm running Swiss Stop Black Prince

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Thanks for all the info, very useful.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com