My first build: Ritte Bosberg 3.0

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MoPho

by MoPho

lrdunc wrote:but I think it will be cool to be (one of) the only guys on a Ritte.

Not if you're in LA, lots of folks riding Ritte there. (not that there is anything wrong with that)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lrdunc

by lrdunc

@MoPho

You're right...just that on my group rides I tend to see S Works Tarmac / TCR / Propel / Addict / Domane / Emonda more often than not, so the Bosberg will at least be a little bit more rare.

Edit: For what it's worth, I had just about pulled the trigger on a TCR Advanced Pro frameset, but went with the Bosberg in large part due to the deal I got on the frame...not that the Bosberg and the TCR are necessarily direct competitors. Anyway, definitely not knocking any of the above bikes in any way at all...just had to be realistic about my budget.

lrdunc

by lrdunc

A few more here:

Ritte's own 31.6 (uncut) carbon post that came with the frameset = 216g

Ritte's own seatpost clamp that came with frameset = 26g

FSA headset that came with frameset = 109g

So my current (incomplete) estimate gets me in at 7608 / 16.77:

CBJ

by CBJ

5800 is amazing but one thing I would do is got Ultegra crankset. I have seen tons for sale used if you are on a budget. Frame looks amazing Ritte has the best paint jobs.

lrdunc

by lrdunc

@CBJ

I came from 9-speed Sora (which the Allez originally came with), so 5800 is amazing to me. Biggest things I noticed immediately were the ergonomics of the hoods and the ease of the FD. I've been looking for a used 6800 crankset (170, 52/36) for a while, so if I see one with minimal wear I'll probably pick it up. Though looking online now, there are multiple websites discounting it to the $170 range, so I might as well buy a new one.

I'm guessing the quickest / easiest places to lose some weight will be:

(1) cut seatpost = maybe 20g?
(2) cut steerer tube = maybe 30g?
(3) new saddle = hope I would drop around 80g

That would be roughly 130g, which would get me to 7478 / 16.4 (obviously that's estimated).

CBJ

by CBJ

Yes, that FD is brilliant.

I upgrade my 5800 to 9000 crankset and it was easy to fell the difference but I have kept the rest of the 5800 I can't get myself to change it out because it works so well.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Nice build, I'd agree with most of your choices if I were in your situation.

Just a heads up there's another 100g to be had with the tubes (supersonic). Having lighter (thinner) tubes also means you can fit more in your jersey pockets... (or have less filled pockets/smaller saddle bag.)

I notice that your cable section is blank, If you need to get new cables that's somewhere else where you could make some savings without compromising durability/quality. I'd get something with really light outers (eg link cables) and then just replace the (relatively inexpensive) inner cable when your shifters decide that the inners didn't taste nice.
Last edited by istigatrice on Fri May 13, 2016 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

lrdunc

by lrdunc

@istigatrice

I hadn't really been thinking of tubes, so thanks for the reminder. From what I can find online, people don't seem to have increased-puncture issues running the Supersonic tubes.

Do you have any ideas about seatposts? I know I'll save a little weight when the Ritte one gets cut, but it still seems heavy. My alloy Thomson Elite is lighter. Then again, I looked up the ENVE Twin Bolt post just for perspective and it's a claimed weight of 213g (and is also nearly $300).

The Link cables are another good idea...plus I really like them aesthetically.

miklm

by miklm

I think just under 17# is probably where you'll end up with 105 5800.

My Bosberg (older frame with ISP, not 3.0) is documented here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139037

I built it first with 105 5800, 50-34/11-32 and GS RD, Boyd Rolleur alloy clinchers @ 1560g. Was just over 17# in that spec.
Going to SRAM Red 22 and Enve Classic 45 tubs shaved roughly 2 kg/4 lb.

Good to see another Ritte on here. I never see another in this area, I'm sure they're more common in California/LA. Everyone here is on a Tarmac, Trek or C'dale, and there's nothing wrong with any of those, most of those are piloted by much better riders, I just like having something a little different. Hope you enjoy yours.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

No, I'd say your tyre choice/pressure has a much bigger effect on your puncture frequency. Latex tubes (slight weight penalty and more fiddly) or super light butyl tubes (ride quality penalty) are the way to go IMO.

I think around 200g is good for a seatpost. There are some Hylix carbon ones on ebay that come in at around 150g cut (IIRC) which would be the best $/g. I'd probably stick with your Thompson post or the stock post, and tune it with titanium hardware. Bear in mind that the Enve claimed weight could be for 400mm, which is way longer than you'll need (the Syntace posts I'm quite fond of claim 220g for 400mm). Also the weight could be due to the seatpost being overbuilt since they're designed for road/cx/MTB rather than just road (only guessing this bit).
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

lrdunc

by lrdunc

Well, I've got the bike home. Here are some quick shots as it currently stands. We just did a cursory fit at the shop today so that I could take it home and hopefully get out to ride a bit this weekend. The mountain of spacers will stay until I figure out exactly where I want the stem. I'm guessing I'll leave one underneath and chop the top down to size.

These pictures were downloaded from Snapchat, hence the atrocious quality.

No final weight until I make a few more changes and get the steerer tube cut, etc.

KarlC

by KarlC

Nice job enjoy
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

lrdunc

by lrdunc

So first impressions after a completely flat 20 mile ride this morning:

Fit

I feel like this frame (53 vs my 54 Allez) is a better size for me. I'm comfortable with how stretched out I am using the same 13cm Ritchey stem. I felt immediately though that the seatpost needs to come up a bit and the stem needs to move down. I felt much too upright. I'm going to take 2 spacers out today so there will only be one remaining under the stem (currently 10mm of spacers under stem with 25mm sticking out on top). I'll ride that this weekend and see how it feels. Maybe the steerer tube can get cut sometime next week.

Bars

These 3T Ergonova bars feel great. I can get to the levers much easier in the drops. The drops overall feel much more comfortable than the bars I had been on (which were just whatever had come on the Allez). I really like the ergo tops as I spend a lot of time there (either cruising or climbing). These are 40 c-c compared to my old bars which were 42 c-c. I just went on a completely flat ride this morning so I can't speak to handling on descents, but maybe I'll get to try that out this weekend.

Overall the ride was noticeably more comfortable than my Allez. I'm on the same S Works 26 tires at 100psi.

@ istigatrice

Maybe I'll try some butyl tubes and see how they work for me. If I'm currently running 100psi would you say I should stay there or go higher / lower? As far as the seatpost, I actually really like the way this white Ritte one (which came with the frameset) looks, so I'll at least stick with that for now. Titanium hardware sounds like a good bet, though. And yeah, I'm sure it will end up getting cut down a bit.
Last edited by lrdunc on Fri May 13, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lrdunc

by lrdunc

miklm wrote:Good to see another Ritte on here. I never see another in this area, I'm sure they're more common in California/LA. Everyone here is on a Tarmac, Trek or C'dale, and there's nothing wrong with any of those, most of those are piloted by much better riders, I just like having something a little different. Hope you enjoy yours.

Thanks. I saw yours and really like that paint, too. Which area are you in?

KarlC wrote:Nice job enjoy

Thank you!

lrdunc

by lrdunc

Here's the amount of steerer tube that I'm probably going to end up cutting.

Question: that little 3M sticker on the head tube is hideous. What's the best alternative? I never put anything on my Allez and over time the cable wore straight through the paint.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com