Cannondale Super6 evo hi mod 6.29kg eTap

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Wull

by Wull

After much deliberation I decided "bugger it" and went out and purchased a bike I've always wanted.

Cannondale supersix evo hi mod.

The spec is as I bought it which was a few weeks ago now, this bike is intended for 'PLENTY USE' and already I've put over 500 miles on her and its quite possibly the best decision I've ever made, I wish I had bought one before.

The original plan was to just keep her as is which is 6.29kg without pedals ( I haven't weighed the bike since putting pedals on ) but I'm now thinking as an alter ego I might buy a few lightweight parts and fit them when needed, if and when I'm out doing seriously big climbs and everesting and the likes,maybe even try hillclimbs for the sheer fun if it.

So I'm wanting to achieve sub 6kg with pedals........

The current spec is

Dura ace 1380 wheelset ( 1400g ) fitted with Schwalbe one 23mm tyres - both tyres with skewers & force 11-28 cassette come in @ 2285g

3T Rotundo 42cm carbon bars

Ritchey superlogic flex seatpost with 15mm setback

Bontrager affinity RXL saddle - 157g claimed

Sram red 10sp groupset

FSA k-force light 170mm 53/39 crank - 584g claimed

Lightweight parts to consider

Tubs > 300g
Compact crank???
Saddle > 50g
Pedals > 100g

And I believe that's all I'll need to achieve it,and they'll be easy enough to swap over when needed.

I have no clue about the weight of a k-force light compact crankset,I'm sure it'll save some weight but ideally I'd love the sisl2 crank but its a bit pricey,and non existent on Ebay. That would definitely save a fair amount of weight and help hugely to achieving sub 6kg.

This bike is awesome,its so light in comparison to my Felt AR3 and super stiff to boot,but not too uncomfortable. When you get out the saddle it just accelerates like mad, and I can imagine that at under 6kg it would be insane.

There's no rush to upgrade as I've kind of went daft with purchases but as they say, you only live once so what the heck.

A few pics and if anyone can give me information and help with regards to the weight of lighter cranks etc then crack on.

Last edited by Wull on Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wull

by Wull

My first mod was to get rid of the crappy bottle cage that I was using, it wasn't holding the bottles well over bumpy ground and it was doing my head in.

So I bought a pair of these

Arundel Mandible carbon bottle cages and they're the muts nuts, the bottles will be going nowhere,not a chance.

They're not the lightest when you compare them to the proper expensive ones but at a claimed 28g each they are very light when you lift them, its hard to believe you can get some cages in and around 18g but I'm loving these,well worth the money if you ask me.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Hey! I just posted mine up this week too. We have the same frameset. Bike really does feel great. I previously had a Cervelo S2 as my carbon roadie and felt the same way about the six as you described above. Why did I wait so long!!

You could easily drop a bunch of weight with tubs but what's the best bang for your buck? Latex tubes, a lighter saddle, maybe a lighter seatpost if you're a slim fella. Many options. I got mine down below 5.9kg so it is possible but really depends on what you're willing to spend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

Wull

by Wull

VTR1000SP2 wrote:Hey! I just posted mine up this week too. We have the same frameset. Bike really does feel great. I previously had a Cervelo S2 as my carbon roadie and felt the same way about the six as you described above. Why did I wait so long!!

You could easily drop a bunch of weight with tubs but what's the best bang for your buck? Latex tubes, a lighter saddle, maybe a lighter seatpost if you're a slim fella. Many options. I got mine down below 5.9kg so it is possible but really depends on what you're willing to spend.

I really fancy getting the SiSl2 crankset, both for looks and the weight. I've got money coming later in the year so I could go daft but for the time being I need to watch.

Off topic but I'm guessing you're in to motorbikes going by your forum name, great bikes. I sold my R1 to purchase my Felt AR3 bike,something I thought I'd never do but I was never using it so it made sense.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

My passion for two wheels started with motorcycles before push bikes came into the picture. I still have mine and just picked up a k7 fireblade for the missus. Hope the decision to sell the R1 sits well. It's hard to give up some hobbies and I couldn't walk away completely, just thinned out the herd.

My SiSL2 50/34 172.5 crankset came up to 496gr if that helps you find your way along this path. Another cost effective way to lose grams is in the brake set but I wouldn't recommend the Ciamillos I have. My brother has EE on his Basso which are slightly lighter than my Ciamillos but stronger and less flexy.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

Wull

by Wull

VTR1000SP2 wrote:My passion for two wheels started with motorcycles before push bikes came into the picture. I still have mine and just picked up a k7 fireblade for the missus. Hope the decision to sell the R1 sits well. It's hard to give up some hobbies and I couldn't walk away completely, just thinned out the herd.

My SiSL2 50/34 172.5 crankset came up to 496gr if that helps you find your way along this path. Another cost effective way to lose grams is in the brake set but I wouldn't recommend the Ciamillos I have. My brother has EE on his Basso which are slightly lighter than my Ciamillos but stronger and less flexy.

Just had a look at your thread on here,I'm loving the bike fella,superb!!

I've been looking at the brakes your brother uses and I'm liking them,not overly expensive especially in comparison to the likes of the THm carbine fibula brakes. I'm not a huge fan of the Sram Red aero link brakes, I still have my old Sram Red brake set that I think work much better and are easier to set up.

As for the R1 I was sad for the first week,but I was hardly using the bike and at this moment I haveno desire for another one,even though I've always wanted a S1000rr......so that's a possibility. But we'll see.

And again,your bike is beautiful and very light.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Thanks Wull. I want to try and get the weight down to below 5400gr and a lighter wheelset would do that with ease but is quite costly if seeking proper quality.

My brother recommends the EE set and would get it again.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

Wull

by Wull

Nothing to update as such other than the gear lever snapping off mid ride yesterday. The gear changes as you get towards the easiest gears at the back were getting tougher and it was clearly taking its toll on the lever.

I should have inspected the problem before hand but never got round to it, I removed the shifter today and the cable seems to move freely enough through the outer cable so it may have been an issue with the shifter itself but I've stripped it down and there's nothing that's jumping out at me.

Replacement shifters are on their way so it'll be back on the road soon enough. I'll use the Felt until then.

I absolutely love the Cannondale, I had a good weekend last week coming 2nd in the Mull sportive and yesterday I banged out a 154 mile ride,my longest to date. I should hit 6,000 miles for the year this week coming as well hopefully.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Great mileage for the year!!

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

Wull

by Wull

Now fitted with eTap, I haven't weighed the bike since fitting the eTap as I've got a few parts still to swap out before I'll either stop and that'll do or I'll go daft and try and go even lighter. I want to swap out the cranks for Sram as these FSA cranks are 10sp and I'm not happy about running them, most people say it seems ok but I'll swap them out anyway. The cassette is a Force 11sp so I'll save some weight by fitting a Red cassette.

I've had a terrible time lately, my rear dura ace wheel is gubbed so I'm having to run my Fulcrum rear until I decide on a set, but I might hold off until next year which means for the time being the weight will be roughly 200gms more.

I'm undecided on whether to buy a frame next season, another dale and try for a seriously lightweight build. And just use that bike for hills and the occasional blast. This dale gets used all the time so I think a seriously light build will have me constantly paranoid.

This is the only picture I've managed to take with the eTap fitted, not the best but it'll do. I absolutely love the eTap, I was considering di2 but it made sense to go with the Sram set up as that's what was on the bike and would've been the easiest to fit and set up. It was so easy to set up.

garjo

by garjo

Why not swapping out for some sisl2 cranks? Do they not work with etap groupset?
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

Wull

by Wull

garjo wrote:Why not swapping out for some sisl2 cranks? Do they not work with etap groupset?

I had considered them before but they're mega expensive to get hold of......must be around £500 or so the last time I checked. They should work though I think, I can't see why not. The current FSA cranks work well enough so they should do.

sawyer

by sawyer

Some mid depth c1200g tubs would be great on that
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Wull

by Wull

sawyer wrote:Some mid depth c1200g tubs would be great on that

I'm looking at either Spada Tivan 38mm tubs or Breva 33mm tubs......both are mega light and would do the trick. Not overly expensive either which is a bonus :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wull

by Wull

I'm still running the Fulcrum rear wheel so still roughly 6.9kg all in including 2 x cage, I'll hold off until the new year before purchasing a set of tubs circa 1200g max.

I think I'll swap out the saddle, cassette and brakes and see where that gets me.

This pic was from earlier in the year when I attempted Everesting as one of my charity rides, sadly it was a failed attempt. I attempted it on a 3mile climb with roughly 1,050ft of climbing,it was tough. I had to swap out my Sram red short cage RD for a Sram Apex med cage RD to run the 32 cassette....I think the bike was 6.9kg with the DA1380 wheels fitted. That was a long tough day. I'll try again next year.