Project sub 6kg retro weenie experiment -finished for now 6.22kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The look has a thread! My camera and computor are not talking to each other at the moment.
Just found someone who will anodise the frame. so it will be done in retro purple. so when it comes back from the polishers of it goes so about 3 weeks time I will have a purple frame.

The look weighs 7.34kg but is a faster bike than this will be. Low weight is fun but not quicker. Still trying to think of ways to get down to 6kg.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

some wanted more photo's of the mavic mech.

The mech will get carbon cages if I get round to making them. Fibrelyte carbon pulleys will be ordered too. This could save 30g. The RD has Ti main bolts already but there are some steel parts. Given the entire things is easily dismantled at a future date all the steel parts (pins and cable anchor parts) could be replaced with Ti parts. I am sure with a bit of work this could be a very light RD. Not sure of the cable pull it works on though.

The Look KG221 has arrived but I think thi frame weighs a bit more so that will be another build I have enough spare parts sitting around.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Cinelli neos bars have arrived 195g in 44cm width.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Woodman seatpost has arrived got all the parts now. Just waoting for the frame to come back from polishing for the build and photos. The whole ooint of this is to build a light bike with what i have lying about and with an old frame if ebay that cost £100.

Just spotted a giant cadex on ebay. Might get this and see which frame is lighter. A spare frame is always handy. I think i have a problem....

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

How many cogs can you stretch to with that RD?
You planning on 8, 9 speed?

fletch62

by fletch62

Any updates?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

10 speed campag. Got a record 10 speed carbon chainset with fybrelite rings, record BB, record brake levers Modolo D/T shiters.....
All black parts. All have not cost me alot or I already had. This is a budget weenie build. Spent more on the frame polishing and anodising than anything else.

Frame back form polishing. It is now off the anodiser to become purple.
Slow progress. Still looking for some light parts. I might send the mech of to Jure Berk so he cam make the rear cages for the mechs. I have not got round to it. I have a saddle of his to return for repair anyway (crash, its not the saddles fault). Actually I have all the parts I need to build it up. It will be ~6.25kg without pedals currently. Hence I could spend some money to make it lighter. I could also get a lighter frame like a TREK 5500.

Welds are pretty smooth for what must be given the 126mm spacing for the back an early alu frame. No frame number no ID for it of any kind.

garjo

by garjo

what weight for this naked frame?
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

kgt

by kgt

I would keep the frame as it is. :thumbup:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

1414g frame weight. That over 200g down. The finish though is for anodising so I cant keep as it is. If I wanted it naked a different standard of polish is required. So the frame went today to Acorn plating LTD and next week it should come back purple but the same weight. Steve who seems to run Acorn Plating comes by recommendation so fingers crossed.

mythical

by mythical

I like where this is going. Perhaps out of nostalgia for the days of purple anodized components and reminiscent of a time when carbon wasn't so omnipresent.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

tigoose

by tigoose

will the steel bits like the dt shifter mounts interfere with the anodizing?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

there are bosses so the steel bits if there are any in the modolo shifters (they are still in thee box from the 80's) won't be touching the frame.

this bike does not have steel bits on it anyway. carbon, aluminium and titanium parts only.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Steve the anodiser has taken some photo's should get it back next week bill for anodising and carriage £100. cheaper than paint and better looking too. Frame is wet in the pictures so finish will change and be shiner when dry.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Jeez that came up really nice!