Project sub 6kg retro weenie experiment -finished for now 6.22kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

This is a budget project. I will start posting kit with photo's and weights tomorrow. I think getting below 6kg will be hard. I have two starting framesets though. The second arrives tomorrow i will go with the lightest.

Both frames though have cost me less than £100 one of ebay (steel 60cm frame weighing 1648g) one is a swap, i am building the guy a pair of wheels in exchange for his look kg221. I am using parts i bought a while back.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

crap pictures for now better ones when the bike gets built up.

front wheel Hope Ti glide hub 18H CX-ray spokes 38mm tubular rim Schwable (Veloflex) ultremo tyre
weight 779g
Modolo D/T shifters
Token ti skewers
Rear wheel Hope Ti glide hub 24H CX-ray spokes 38mm tubular rim Schwable (Veloflex) ultremo tyre 991g

Record 1" threadless headset
Record 10 speed carbon chainset with fibrelyte rings 505g
Hylix saddle
Mavic 860 rear mech
Record brake levers
Record BB

Royce Ti crank bolts and a Ti cassette lockring are on there way to me (hope hubs use the old campag lockring standard so a Royce lockring is the lightest I can buy). Weight could be saved with a Campagnolo comp ultra chainset I have but that would look wrong on this. trying to do a retro weenie build on a budget!

Oh the steel frame 1648g. Needs paint though thinking metallic purple or wait metallic orange.
The spacing though is 126mm. The wheel does not sit properly so it needs to be respaced properly.

The Look KG221 might be lighter
I have 150g of cables earmarked (ashima reaction outers and powercordz inners) 50g for bar tape 85g for a front mech.
I might get a extralite stem and the bars will be cinelli Neos. A woodman carbo EL seatpost will be used.

There is weight to be saved by making carbon cages for the rear mech and getting some carbon pulleys.

Weight currently projected to be 6208g so lets say 250g to be saved. Easyish if I spend not so easy if I don't. Ideas welcome.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Cool project. At 6.2 kg you are already in a great weight zone for a bike based on an older steel frameset.

If the frame is fully chromed under the paint, then consider removing the paint and just leaving the chrome.
Paint can be surprisingly heavy.

But in all honesty, the bike is darn light as it stands now, so some aesthetic color is warranted.

There might be a lighter option out there for HS and BB, but those components would no doubt be exponentially more expensive. Some bolt tuning on the derailleurs, cage bolts, cable stops, etc. might shed a few grams

Post a better pic of that RD when you can.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Damm forgot about the brakes -silver Planet X CNC jobs! Those are 220g so weight has jut gone up to 6.43kg. Got to get thinking.

Also I only got the frame yesterday. the ebay listing said it was columbus genius tubing but looking at the frame I don't think it is steel. The give away is it not magnetic. so it must be aluminium but with very smooth welds and 126mm spaced. So it must be late 80's or very early 90's. The question is who made it as for alloy it is rather nice. Of course this means the frame will be stripped of paint and polished. This will save plenty of weight.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Wed May 04, 2016 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marin

by Marin

Awesome project!

6.5 is a nice limit to stay under too IMO.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The thing is only a few ago weeks ago I said to myself no more bikes this year then I looked around and saw all these light parts and though what the hell.

Just called a metal polisher £200 to have the frame polished as it is definatley aluminium. Just got to re-space it to 130mm that is not so easy on alloy.

fletch62

by fletch62

Would anodizing be cheaper/easier if its alu.?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I am not sure who would re anodise a frame though. Industrial finish is easy to get done but a nice purple that is harder.

tigoose

by tigoose

any way the drop outs can be machined 2mm off the thickness each side ?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

A file is the solution here for the dropouts.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Love this already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timmbo

by timmbo

interested to see how this develops.

what fork are you putting on there?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Columbus minimal because it is light and cheap. £100
Woodman Carbo EL seatpost purchased $114 shipped to the U.K (new)
Frame (and fork) £135 euro shipped. The columbus Genius chromed fork though is in fine condition and will be sold to reduce to the total bill.

Sandwich

by Sandwich

This is an interesting project. Any pictures of the Look? If it turns out lighter will you simply swap components or are you planning on building up both?

weastman

by weastman

Looks great subscribed, puts the weight of my nice new carbon bike to shame, well done!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com