Naked steel

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

hmai18

by hmai18

Expecting delivery later this week and hope to get this thing rolling for this weekend. Hand-built by former NAHBS winner Naked Bicycles. True Temper S3 main triangle with KVA MS3 stainless rear.

Fork and wheels are estimates for now since they're in transit and haven't been verified. Will probably cut the post down to 270mm since that's all I need and lose a few grams once cables have been trimmed. Should be a bit over 17lbs once built, which is 1.5lbs more than my outgoing CAAD10/SRAM Red but I'll take that hit for the ride feel of steel.

Delorre

by Delorre

Wow, love that dark blue and shiny metal combi!! This build deserves a full 9000 groupset, this will also match the rear stays perfectly. Does the frame weight include the CK headset?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kkibbler

by kkibbler

That looks fab.

I've always wondered what happens on frames like these if you (knock on wood) take a spill and bend the mech hanger? Can it be bent back into place, or completely replaced?

Broady

by Broady

kkibbler wrote:That looks fab.

I've always wondered what happens on frames like these if you (knock on wood) take a spill and bend the mech hanger? Can it be bent back into place, or completely replaced?

Usually steel hangers take a fair few knocks and bends back before they snap. Only time I snapped one was a '94 Kona Cindercone that I absolutely hammered.

Lovely frame too, can't beat raw stays.

michel2

by michel2

thats looks pretty, what was the reason to go s3 front triangle instead of full kva ?are the seat stays tig welded on or brazed ?
enjoy !

hmai18

by hmai18

Delorre wrote:Wow, love that dark blue and shiny metal combi!! This build deserves a full 9000 groupset, this will also match the rear stays perfectly. Does the frame weight include the CK headset?

Woops, forgot headset weight when I asked the builder for a frame weight. I'll weigh again once delivered with the headset pressed in. Couldn't justify DA9000 at twice the price of 6800. Would rather spend that money on trips, race fees, etc.

kkibbler wrote:I've always wondered what happens on frames like these if you (knock on wood) take a spill and bend the mech hanger? Can it be bent back into place, or completely replaced?

As stated, steel hangers can be bent back. In my case, the entire dropout is a socket lug that's been brazed to the stays. Worst case scenario is I send it back to the builder to have a new socket brazed on.

michel2 wrote:thats looks pretty, what was the reason to go s3 front triangle instead of full kva ?are the seat stays tig welded on or brazed ?
enjoy !
I really wanted custom paint and it didn't make sense to pay the upcharge for a full stainless frame only to cover it up. Everything is TIG except for the rear dropouts, which are brazed.

Fiery

by Fiery

Beautiful. You picked the colours?

hmai18

by hmai18

Yup, colour palette and design scheme was mine. Inspiration came from this photo I came across last year when the whole process began:

The studio lighting doesn't do a great job, but the main colour is actually "burple." It should show a purple tint under more direct light:

Fiery

by Fiery

Good job, wish any mainstream manufacturers produced such inspired designs. Looking forward to seeing it complete.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

That looks badass. Great look.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Very classy
Using Tapatalk

MRM

by MRM

Ax-Lightness had something similar once. Just FYI. I agree most standard paintjobs are incredibly mediocre.

hmai18

by hmai18

Picked it up super late last night and had it on the club run this morning. White cockpit is temporary while I wait for a new saddle and will need to re-cable once proper barrel adjusters arrived, so the tape will go too.

mythical

by mythical

Moar pix please! That's one pretty bike! The white saddle and bar tape looks pristine. What are you gonna replace it with? How few spacers can you end up with?
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hmai18

by hmai18

Romin will be replaced with a PRO Turnix AF since Romins are no longer made in 130mm width. Will throw on Fizik 2mm tacky black for the final iteration. I've got a 10mm under the stem and 25mm above for now. Will give it a few weeks of riding and racing before I make any decisions about how much more steerer to chop.

Will have more photos once the set up is a little bit more permanent.