Colnago C60 PLBK Traditional 61 - Updated

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

Hey all,
there's this Italian thoroughbred that got to be tamed in the next few weeks :lol: To keep things short, the beginning of this relationship was not what you could call flawless... Received the package from Italy last week and unpacked it giddy with pleasure. After simply looking at the frame for a few minutes I put it aside and laid it on the ground as you can see in the photo, then turned my attention towards the fork that was boxed separately. I picked up the box... and out goes the seatpost! :shock: Pretty sure all of you can already imagine where that seatpost decided to land... So now I do own a brand new Colnago C60 with it's first blemish after a few minutes, pretty good start... Feel a little bit like that guy who waited for hours in the queue to get his brand new iPhone just to drop it when he first opened up the box... Any offers of condolences will be much appreciated :cry:

Nevertheless, believe it or not, I'm still positive that even if we had a bad start this relationship will soon turn for the better! My plan is to keep that thing all Italian plain and simple wherever it makes sense to me. Right now I'm a little bit out of pocket so this will take a few weeks but anyway I keep you guys updated.

For now a few pics from when we first met:
stupid seatpost...

Image Image Image

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Congratulations! Looks great! :thumbup:
Regarding that litlle damage, you can find someone to fix it, before you start to build it together.

Which groupset, wheelset, other parts.... are you planning?
White or black bartape/sadlle combo?
Black tyres or classic tan?

And thank you for choosing traditional geometry!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ya know... some of the best relationships had a hiccup or two at the beginning. I personally can't think of any, but that's what the marriage counsellors would like you to believe :lol:. Kidding aside... this is merely a getting acquainted slap, soon to be forgotten. But I do feel for ya. We've all been there I'm sure. I remember a time when I went with a friend to pick up his brand new custom bike that he had been waiting on for months. We hovered over it admiring the bright orangy/red paint as the mechanic was making a few tweaks to the brake for a test ride, when all of a sudden the allen wrench in his hand slipped and fell dead smack into the seat stay in a very similar spot to yours, and of course, chipped the paint a bit. There was a split second of dead silence but the mechanic, as experienced in these matters as he was, didn't miss a beat and picked up the wrench and continued on as if nothing had happened :shock: . He knew, I knew, and my friend knew... but for whatever reason... no one ever spoke a word of it to this day. What do you do... tell him you want a respray for a small chip on a frame that you had been waiting for months for? I suppose some would, but anyway, it was one of those things and it was more important to have the bike than wait any longer. About a year later, we were in the French Alps on a cycling vacation and damned if he didn't launch himself and the bike over a guard rail, after which he found himself in some Swiss Hospital. Bike was recovered, and once back home... I stripped the frame and we sent it away for a respray. You'd never know what it, or he, had been through. So, all's well that ends well... sort of.

Looking forward to the build... it's my size, so do it proud.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

chazmtb

by chazmtb

Congratulations. It'll be fine. Battle scars that will be forgotten. Beautiful bike. Welcome to the club!

majklnajt

by majklnajt

You can put a glossy black decal over it... your name for example ;)

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

Great frame! I've the same but in a miniature 45s. I opened up the box whilst it was lay on the spare bed and unboxed everything with kid gloves. I remember buying a blue GIOS years ago and was tightening the seat post binder and dropped the allen key, took a chip of the top of the brake bridge, was gutted so feel your pain :0(

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

At first the "seatpost incident" felt like a punch in the gut but a week has passed and I think I'm over it now, still hurts sometimes :wink:
I just have to tell myself over and over again that it's an object of utility and will get it's scars in the course of time anyway. But on the other side my current bike which I'm riding for 5 years now still doesn't have one single defect... well I guess that's life :lol:

So there are a few parts that will definitely make their way on the bike:

- Super Record Groupset from 2011 because I don't like the new 4-arm cranks for aesthetic reasons
- Campagnolo Shamal Mille wheels with black Challenge Strada Pro Open tires (really thought about tan sidewalls but will go for all black for now)
- cockpit and seatpost will most likely be stuff from Deda, thought about Superleggero seatpost and bars, not quite sure about the stem since I don't like
the fairly slender look of it. Might go for the Zero100 and remove some paint.

Not sure about the saddle so far but thought of SSM Aspide Superleggera, definitely black saddle and bar tape :)
One thing I don't like about the Superleggero seatpost is that the red logo most probably will be covered by the seat tube, on the other hand I want the short setback that post offers... maybe also some removal on this.

That's it for now, I try to provide you guys with some new pics as soon as possible :thumbup:
@ Calnago: Since your C59 still is an inspiring bike for me, I really try not to mess things up on this build :wink:

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Looking good - shame about the seatpost incident! Opted for a superlegerro on my PLBK - am having it stripped and resprayed gloss black - will post up a pic if I ever get it back from the spray shop (!) - currently holding up my build so keeping fingers crossed for next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corky

by corky

Every bike gets a scar sooner or later......yours was just sooner.....,it does not detract from the fact that that is one. Ignite nice frame

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Congratulations on your new acquisition. I am really happy to see this build come together because as the owner of a 58S C60 I have always wondered what the proportions of a 61 Trad would look like. The 58S still fits me best because the 5mm longer Front Centre (I wear size 47 shoes) but all of the other specs are pretty much a wash between the two framesets.

We both agree that the pre-2015 five arm Super Record cranks look better!

If my C60 was 500g lighter it would be the perfect bike :mrgreen:

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Beancouter wrote:Opted for a superlegerro on my PLBK - am having it stripped and resprayed gloss black.lk

Note to you and the OP, the logos on the Superleggero seatpost will come off in a minute with some goof off. Then if you want it gloss still, just have some gloss clear over that. It'll be lighter at least.

wombus

by wombus

LorneMalvo wrote:
So now I do own a brand new Colnago C60 with it's first blemish after a few minutes, pretty good start... Feel a little bit like that guy who waited for hours in the queue to get his brand new iPhone just to drop it when he first opened up the box... Any offers of condolences will be much appreciated :cry:

You have my sympathies, but I'm quite concerned that is more than just a blemish - You've probably delaminated the carbon - certainly the surface layer is cracked. Get this checked out by a good NDI technician and assess the damage and get the repairs done. It's particularly unfortunate given the raw finish.

LionelB

by LionelB

Looking forward to seeing a C60 my size built up !

If you do not like flexy bars I would skip the superleggerro 31.8, quite flexy.

rajMAN

by rajMAN

My advice before you do anything is get the scratch fixed and then build up the bike. It may delay things but in the long run your mind will be settled. Lovely frame btw.

LionelB

by LionelB

Frame weight btw ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com