New Build 2016 S-Works Venge ViAS

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

7270g(16.028lbs) as pictured. Definitely not light by any means. I'm also not done by any means either. Time to order ti bolts, and drop some weight. It's also fast as hell. It's going to be hard to find reasons to ride my old 2015 Venge now, even know it's 2lbs lighter with these wheels, or 1lbs lighter with clinchers.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

That looks so good :beerchug:

Really digging the paint scheme, seems to accentuate the bikes lines really well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

nice. specialized has always had some of the best colorways in the industry..
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Looks good. What is your predicted/target weight for the final build?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

prendrefeu wrote:Looks good. What is your predicted/target weight for the final build?

Not sure. There isn't a lot that can be done here with all the proprietary stuff, but I intend to not leave any stones unturned. Last night I measured a bunch of the bolts for the proprietary brakes, and stem, and titanium bolts are being ordered today, and looking at jockey wheel options again. I was thinking about trying Powercordz, but I want to do more research first before committing. I have also been thinking about KCNC's Ti cables. I have another cranks w/o a Quarq, with S-Works chainrings instead of the big heavy aero SRAM ones that will drop a considerable amount of weight. I've been using the SRAM rings for stiffness, I haven't used anything else in about a year. So I'm interested to see how they perform. I'm also going to probably cut 2cm off the ends of the handlebars, and put lighter bar end plugs in. I've been kicking around the idea of having Berk build me another seatpost combo for this bike as well. I haven't ridden the bike with the tubies, only with my Roval CLX60 clinchers, and with those the bike is another pound heavier. However, it doesn't seem heavy or slow. It actually seems much faster. So it almost makes all this lightweight campaign seem a little ridiculous, but I'm a nerd about this stuff.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Also, thanks for all the kind words. I dig the paint on this bike a lot too. The design team did a great job with what the engineering team gave them.

lrdunc

by lrdunc

Can the RD cable be cut down a bit?

Awesome bike. Thanks for all the in depth info.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

lrdunc wrote:Can the RD cable be cut down a bit?

Awesome bike. Thanks for all the in depth info.

Yep, it's on my to-do list. I can probably cut quite a bit down, and not hurt shifting performance.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

BTW, the 2x M7x45mm stem through handlebar bolts are 15g ea. I think Ti will help drastically there. The brake pad holder bolts are also 4x M6x20mm and weigh 6g ea. These are definitely some low hanging fruit on the weight saving game. I do this on all my bikes not only for weight savings, but also to get ride of corrosion issues with steel hardware.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

The Vias is definitely a frame that makes the bike a hit or miss depending on fit, and you nailed it. Looks super clean! :thumbup:

If you do end up going the route of an integrated saddle/seatpost, would there be much savings in doing the same for the bars? or having something done up custom for the stem, as isn't it a bit hefty?

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Really sick ride. This is how a Vias is supposed to look.

Re. handlebar bolts, being that there are only 2 instead of 4, maybe stainless steel would be safer than Ti?

OTOH holy cow M7, massive bolts.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Sorry if I missed it but what saddle height are you running? This build is actually making me interested in a Vias

JasperGr

by JasperGr

Damn that's one good looking bike! How does the shift feel with the integrated parts?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

mannequinforce

by mannequinforce

Need some sunlight pics ASAP.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

So I took this pic the day I took it for it's maiden voyage. I'll snap some new pics tomorrow. I've been busy with work, but I did get some time to shorten the rd housing, and I am about to do some minor modifications to the saddle. I also just bought a new chain for it, so I could put my other one back on my 2015 Venge.

The shifting feels great. The cabling being all internal is actually super smooth. There is zero resistance to the steering from the cables which is a weird feeling. It feels so light and free like a track bike.

Saddle height is 77cm from bb center to top center of the saddle.

I think the Ti bolts should be fine for the bars, since they are so massive being M7s. I probably should ask one of our engineers their opinion though.

It would be near impossible to do an integrated stem/handlebar. The engineers initially toyed around with that idea, but they decided against it. Here is a pic of some of the prototypes. It was decided that this was the most aero way to go, and still was able to be adjusted for rider fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com