New Build 2016 S-Works Venge ViAS

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

So as some of you know, I am a fairly longtime member, and I work for Specialized nowadays. I am also a guy that loves bikes, particularly aero bikes. I also have had a bit of an obsession with a balance of weight, and aero. This new build is no different. The Venge ViAS is obviously not the lightest platform out there. My goal is to build one as light as possible without any crazy exotic parts that may sacrifice the end goal of light, aero, reliable, and stiff. I picked up a ViAS module recently, and I've been slowly piecing it together.

First thing I did was verify my fit estimate with my current bike, a 2015 S-Works Venge.

Obviously, The 95mm stem, and the +25mm bars were not going to work. I swapped them out for the 125mm stem, and zero rise bars. I'm using an old pair of 404 Tubulars from 2010. I was able to convert them to 11sp recently. These are the last year before the Firecrest was launched, and these are wheels are considerably lighter than the current offerings. Plus I am going to remove the decals, and get them down another -16g As pictured here with KCNC Ti Skewers, Red 11-26 cassette, 53/38 S-Works rings, 118g discontinued S-Works Toupe 130 saddle, two S-Works cages, with the Swat tool, and a steerer that needs chopped, it's sitting at 5870g. I would like to have the finished build at sub 6800g. That might be a stretch, but I should be close. It will be heavier than my 2015 Venge, but it is also more aero, so there is always that. I was hoping to do eTAP, but it's looking like I'm going to go Red mechanical. I'll be piecing the rest together soon. Anyway, enjoy my build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

da123

by da123

Like it! Much more pleasing to the eye than the standard model IMO...

Does the completely internal cable routing still work with the different bar?

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Thanks! Yes the 0 rise bar, is still designed for the ViAS. It is still completely internally routed. Sagan uses this bar when he rides the ViAS. It's really only for riders that have an aggressive drop. Running the +25mm bar, and 0 spacers, is more aero than running this bar, and 25mm of spacers. As my fit calls for a slammed stem anyway, the only was to get it right was with the 0 rise. If you buy a new ViAS, you can swap out the stem, and bar for the one that fits you for $0. It just has to be unused. Contact your local retailer for more info.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

I'm guessing you went with the narrow pad holders for pre-Firecrest wheels?

da123

by da123

ProfessorChaos wrote:Thanks! Yes the 0 rise bar, is still designed for the ViAS. It is still completely internally routed. Sagan uses this bar when he rides the ViAS. It's really only for riders that have an aggressive drop. Running the +25mm bar, and 0 spacers, is more aero than running this bar, and 25mm of spacers. As my fit calls for a slammed stem anyway, the only was to get it right was with the 0 rise. If you buy a new ViAS, you can swap out the stem, and bar for the one that fits you for $0. It just has to be unused. Contact your local retailer for more info.

Understood! Presumably you lose a bit of the aero benefit by running the older 404s vs the 64mm Rovals? Guess it will be better on the climbs though, so swings and roundabouts.

Too late for me - I went for a Madone (see my post)! It would have been a much closer decision if I'd seen your bike first I suspect...

jeffy

by jeffy

subscribed

Monte

by Monte

Sweet ride ! The red paintjob looks so much cleaner then the plain black w. white stickers

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Exactly on point about the wheels. They might loose a little aero, but save some weight. I do want to buy the CLX64 tubulars as soon as they come available.

I'll figure out what pad holders work once I get the group installed. The module of course comes with both.

Everyone else I hope you enjoy the build. Thanks for following.

mile2424

by mile2424

Looks great with the long stem and flat bars. Love that rocket red paint as well. What size frame? I would love to get mine down to a lower weight number like that.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Thanks, I dig the rocket red too. I have a carbon fatboy in rocket red too. This bike is a 54cm.

AZR3

by AZR3

I'm miss your Soloist and S2.........but I guess I can't dwell in the past. I'm hoping this is the first ViAS I actually like, I have faith in you :thumbup:

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

AZR3 wrote:I'm miss your Soloist and S2.........but I guess I can't dwell in the past. I'm hoping this is the first ViAS I actually like, I have faith in you :thumbup:

You can buy my S2 if you want. I'm selling it cheap. The torsional stiffness in the Venge was just so much better. It was instantly apparent. It makes for a rock solid sprinting platform. The ViAS is even stiffer. I've ridden them a handful of times, but they were off the shelf fits, and never fit me right. I can't wait to have a dialed ViAS.

AZR3

by AZR3

I actually bought a 2011 S3, always want that bike so couldn't let a pristine example on ebay pass me by. It compliments my R3 and P3SL

Anyway, I'm sure the ViAS is a better overall bike as it should be but I just love the elegance of the older S series frames.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

AZR3 wrote:I actually bought a 2011 S3, always want that bike so couldn't let a pristine example on ebay pass me by. It compliments my R3 and P3SL

Anyway, I'm sure the ViAS is a better overall bike as it should be but I just love the elegance of the older S series frames.

Yeah, it was a simple elegant design. I always wanted a SLC-SL. I kind of want to keep my S2, but it's hard for me to ride it after experiencing the stiffness of the bikes I ride now. It was actually my old Allez, that turned me off on the S2, and then I bought the 2015 Venge to replace it. I actually wanted to have my S2 custom painted, the exact way that my 2015 Venge came prior to it being available. So once it was available I had to have it. The gloss carbon with matte black logos is such an awesome colorway imo. I was glad to go a bit flashier on the ViAS this time around though.