Litespeed Ghisallo 1x10 build (3.76kg or 8.29 lbs but not finished!!!!!!)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Thanks Kevosinn. Yes I will let you know about the fork. Is your uber weight weenie build project frame going to use a 1 1/8 steerer tube or are you going for the more modern tapered steerer tube? Like the outdated 26mm stem and handlebar standard, the older 1 1/8 forks are still much lighter than the newer, better handling, stiffer forks of today IMO.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

It's going to be a straight 1 1/8".
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xena
Banned

by xena

Don't forget the storck stiletto UMS forks , 230grms on my Trek.

I love the look of the AX forks , I think it was madcow that hinted about a bad crash/failure with the AX forks.
I know of a couple of posters who used them without any issues.
Is it just the one of incident or are there more cases of failure?
I have enve 1 on my Guru and they weigh 232grms . I do slam my stem and cut off a huge amount of steerer.

Just to mention the ax brakes and the fact I had a failure of the pivot bolt on the front brake , it just snapped and I was lucky not to crash. I mailed with Nils at AX and he was first class and sending a replacement straight away. The front bolt is ti and I was unlucky to have a failure. To anyone out there thinking of using a alloy bolt for the front " DONT" I have bought some steel bolts and may use them instead " weight gain though". It was a bit scary.
I will make a thread and post photo's soon as I get a chance .
But like I said Nils at AX was brilliant and you can't fault that kind of customer service.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

danbjpa

by danbjpa

godzuki26 wrote: I never paid attention to headset spacer weights. Are there lighter ones out there?

Point One (now Gamut?) 1x5mm spacers weight 1.1g (Toronto Cycle source).
My 5mm generic spacer...

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@Xena - That is some scary stuff with the caliper bolt failing during a ride. That could be catastrophic. As for the fork, all I heard was the incident from Madcow but no other specific details. I don't know people who have used this fork or owned an Ax Lightness Alpha module so I guess it is not the most accurate to say the fork is unsafe.

@danbjpa - I thought the Extralite Delrin spacers were a little heavy. I have some Omni Racer carbon spacers that look very similar to the pic you attached. I will weigh them to see. Thanks.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I guess just because the brand is Extralite doesn't mean it is always the lightest. These 2 Omni Racer 5mm carbon spacers are half the weight of the delrin Extralite spacers. A gram here and a gram there adds up quickly. Weigh everything :mrgreen:

Last edited by godzuki26 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I cut the Ax Lightness handlebars to a length I prefer. Chopped off 7 grams which would make the final weight of the bar 142 grams.

Last edited by godzuki26 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Weight of the handlebar and stem. Much lighter than any weight I can achieve with a 31.8 mm stem and Oversize 31.8mm handlebar. Would I ever use a combo like this in a crit race that require surges in power output along with super sharp handling? No I would probably not. Atleast not until the combo is permanently bonded as Xena and kevosinn suggested.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Here is how I look with the bars cut. Once I do a few more test rides I will slam the stem and retake pics. I always leave 10mm of cushion even if I know my measurements.

ImageFelt AR FRD

xena
Banned

by xena

Slam that stem . I'm loving this :thumbup:

Bar stem combo would be bonkers light ,,,,,I'm so jealous what a brilliant build :beerchug:
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

Ulver

by Ulver

Really interesting build :) Quite inspiring to see the lengths you can go to take out so much weight. Are you planning on using the bike much or is it more of a technical challenge?

BmanX

by BmanX

Bar/Stem combo's normally end up at the same weight or just slightly above having now done 2 with different builders.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@Ulver - That is a very good question. This has quickly turned into a technical build. I honestly feel like I am chasing a weight rather than looking for ride quality. For example, even though I know Recon aluminum cassettes suck, I will be slapping one on this build to get the weight down. With my tubular wheelset I am on target to be under 9 lbs which is pretty cool for a titanium bike. This is my first attempt at tuning parts rather than just buying the lightest. It has been quite fun so far.

I will definitely give an honest ride quality report when I take this skinny minny on the road.

ImageFelt AR FRD

Ulver

by Ulver

I know the feeling, I think sometimes the building/bringing together various components is as much fun if not more than the end result. I guess once you have built it up and ridden it a bit you will quickly know where the performance compromises are and you've got plenty of wiggle room to build back in some components and still end up with a mega light bike!

BRZeer

by BRZeer

Nice who cuts ur carbon steerer tubes and bars? He must be goot guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com