Litespeed Ghisallo 1x10 build (3.76kg or 8.29 lbs but not finished!!!!!!)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

xena
Banned

by xena

godzuki26 wrote:@Ryan - I ran into some issues with the Bungarus on my BH Ultralight the other day. What sucks is you can't replace the inner liner on these. I noticed some cracks where the joints connect. I used to run mini's and never had problems so I will be switching back for this build.

I am finished now tinkering with the brake calipers. Like Juanmoretime suggested, I was able to save a few grams using different barrel adjusters. Also, the Ax Lightness aluminum bolts were too long so I had to use some shorter aluminum bolts. In the end, the final weight is sub 100 grams.

Great work . When you say you changed the aluminium bolts do you mean the pivot bolts that attach the brakes to your frame. If you changed them could you show us or explain how you removed them.
I was going to change my alloy ones for titanium ones but was not sure how to remove them.
I prefer titanium because of galvanic corrosion on a carbon -alloy contact point.

:thumbup:
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

BmanX

by BmanX

I love this build and attention to detail. This is what WW is all about.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Martin1977

by Martin1977

Great work, but again. If You replaced those pivot bolts with aluminium ones, I would NOT recommend to use them. I also had aluminium pivot bolts on my Orion brakes, but after one of them snapped during braking, I sent my brakes back to AX and they replaced them with Titanium bolts. Those few gramms are NOT worth risking Your health !!!

I'm looking forward to see final result.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Fantastic thread! Please keep it going

xena
Banned

by xena

I managed to get the bolts out of my Orion's but they seem like a custom fit. I would ideally like to replace with black ti bolts, Can anyone out there help?

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Hi all, been neglecting my wife and have not done too much for the build. Lately, I am spending too much time researching forums and Ebay sniping parts rather than taking care of domestic duties. I ordered the Tune cable housing and they should be coming in later this week. I have had some difficulty sourcing Pillar Xtra Lite titanium spokes. I want to get the magnesium wheel build started but cannot find spokes for sale in the USA. I found one place selling Marwi Ti spokes but they weigh the same as Sapim Superspokes so that option is a no go. I am really hoping for the metal wheelset to be used on this frame. I currently have a set of Extralite Hyperclinch SP clincher wheels that use Stans Alpha 340 Hubs but they weigh a porky 1160 grams. My Magnesium clincher wheels are estimated to be in the mid 800 gram range. I could also cheat and throw on the 77 Composite wheelset I have that weigh 758 grams.....but they are tubular.

@Xena - I did not replace the titanium pivot bolts x2. I was referring to replacing the aluminum bolts x4 on the brake shoes and using shorter barrel adjusters x2 on the calipers. The heads on the aluminum brake shoe bolts I am using are rather small and I am not sure if they will be safe......but I think I will be ok. I also shaved more material off the brake shoes to get to the sub 100 gram weight. I am gonna try out the Corima Absolute pads. They don't sell them here in the USA but I am determined to get some and give them a try. They are light as F**$!!
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

For the cockpit, I was going to go for the all out titanium look and use the Control Tech TiMania bars and stem. They were on my titanium track bike that I broke so it would have been an easy cost effective swap. Although the combo felt great when I used them, I decided against them because they are far too heavy. The stem was 126 grams and the handlebars were 239 grams.

Last edited by godzuki26 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I am noticing that 31.8mm combos in general weigh more than the older 26.0mm standard. For example, I have Schmolke TLO Oversized handlebar that weighed 155 grams in the smallest size. I was disappointed because on R2-Bikes website it was listed at 135 grams. Paying full price for that bar and being 20 grams off what I was expecting was rather frustrating. What is also interesting is I have a set of Zipp SL short and Shallow handlebars in 42mm outer to outer that weighs 160 grams after sanding logos off and trimming the ends. Not a bad weight at all for bars I bought on Ebay for $150USD. For stems, my Extralite 31.8mm weighed 85 grams. My MCFK stem on my BH ultralight weighed 84 grams.

The only way to go lighter is to go back to the 26.0mm standard. So, I will be using a 110mm Ax Lightness Zeus stem with an Ax Lightness Ax4100 handle bar in 42mm. Both items were purchased on Ebay in brand new condition and the pair cost less than the Schmolke TLO handlebar. The torque specs are a little weak and I plan to have the bar and stem bonded once I get the position dialed after a few rides. So, for now the weights for my cockpit are listed below:

Last edited by godzuki26 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

xena
Banned

by xena

I get you , no problem. . Don't use alloy on your brake shoes they may not hold up . You can get some very light Ti ones.
Great build :thumbup:

godzuki26

by godzuki26

:beerchug: Thanks Xena. Copy on the ti bolts. Hey, can you take a look at the pic below? The Ax Lightness handlebars are rather long on the drops and I want to trim the ends where the red line is. I would like to cut them but really have no idea if it will be safe or not. I cannot find any information on the wall thickness. I know Ax Lightness uses different wall thicknesses for their seat posts but not sure on the handlebars. A few years ago, Gumgardener mentioned briefly that his Ax lightness handlebars were cut on his Crumpton. That is the most info I can find on cutting these bars. What do you think?.....and thank you so much for all the useful tips:)

Last edited by godzuki26 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

KarlC

by KarlC

I don't safety will be an issue, but that does look a bit short to me. I would trim about 1/2 that off and go from there if need be.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Trim away....that's what I did on mine. Also a suggestion. combine the bar and stem. Not for weight savings because there won't be much but because of stiffness. You will notice a bit of flex as they are but once combined they will be as stiff as anything out there.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

RyanH

by RyanH

Keep an eye on the Extralite headset. They have a tendency to wear a ring into the fork where the top metal part fits the fork steerer to the top bearing. It's about half the height of the Tune Bobo plastic piece (Extralite's is metal). I've had to Enve forks ruined because of it.

xena
Banned

by xena

Just like Kevin said , cut away. I have cut loads off the super light ltd bars [ guru] and zipp sl bars [trek] no problems what so ever.
Agree with kevin about the stiffness of bar/stem combo . Its really good. A lot less flex. In-fact if your using really light bars 150grms etc and a light stem a combo is the way to go. Kevin could sort you out if he's not to busy with a combo.
I picked up on ebay some "proppahhhh" carbon bar ends 2grms the pair not the so called carbon bar ends which when you sand off the clear you realise are not carbon at all "fake". I glued them to my bars. What you could do and kevin could do this easy is just layer some thin carbon over the end of your bar ends and just sand away so it fits nice. just a gram for cool looking carbo bar ends.
Another option is to get some UD carbon tape and glue that across your bar ends and gently shape. Again that would be a gram or 2 at most for bar ends that look cool.
Schmolke make carbon bar ends but they cost a fortune for what they are and the options above are lighter and look just as good.

Kev , great job on your brakes. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Hello, been away for a while due to being busy at work. I also ended up cutting my index finger pretty bad trying to strip the black outer casing on the Tune housing. Like a little kid, I sometimes get a little careless and try to muscle through things without thinking things through :(

@Kevosinn and Xena - thanks for the advice on trimming the handlebars and suggestion of getting the combo bonded. I actually live in Orange County so a Kevosinn barstem would be a cool upgrade.

@RyanH- I appreciate the tip on the Extralite headset. The picture above shows the fork installed with an Ax Lightness fork cover. Upon closer inspection, I can see the bottom of the headset making contact with the fork cover. By removing it, the issue is resolved and there is no more contact. The Ax Lightness fork cover was really meant for a frame with a 44mm ID headtube like a 2009 Scott Addict that accepts a semi-integrated headset. It doesn't look right with a frame with external bearing cups like the Litespeed Ghisallo. Plus, the fork cover weighs a porky 7 grams.........I am better off without it.

Bye Bye fork cover!

Last edited by godzuki26 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:07 am, edited 5 times in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD