Kevosinn's personal Cryptic project. Pics up on pg.6

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Thanks Donald! I need to PM you about a few things soon.

Unfortunately AUOC they are actually lighter than your AX brakes haha! They were 124 grams with the cable holders but just the calipers like you posted are 114 grams! Looking at yours I'm sure the construction method is the same. They use a foam core and lay the carbon up over the top.

Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

tomvin90

by tomvin90

loving these steady updates. excited for this one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

natefontaine

by natefontaine

Maybe you could trim off half the threads on the screw and maybe replace the lock nut with nylon nut. That could be worth a few grams and only sacrifices some adjustability.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Ya that was next on the to do list. Just haven't got there yet. Those are alloy so not sure how much weight I would save but every gram counts. I'm going to continue looking for some AX3000's but I'm not paying $1000 for brake calipers. If I find a decent deal I'll pick them up
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

AUOC1OC6

by AUOC1OC6

You already trimmed the Engage to 114g! :shock: How much do you expect to same with a pair of AX3000? 5g? No paint to strip on that one! :wink:
AUOC1OC6
--------------------
AX Lightness Vial Evo D http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=138599
Corima Puma
Giant MCR 2 (retired)
Trek Y Glide Deluxe MTB

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

I could save up to 30 grams by switching to 3000's believe it or not. The carbon spring is an interesting option though. I need to pull mine off and weight them. I'm thinking that could save upwards of 8-10 grams off these.

AUOC1OC6

by AUOC1OC6

You mean the AX is less than 100g without shoes and pads? :shock: That's lighter than Fibula.

Anyway, found this in my inventory of spare parts...3g each for your comparison.

AUOC1OC6
--------------------
AX Lightness Vial Evo D http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=138599
Corima Puma
Giant MCR 2 (retired)
Trek Y Glide Deluxe MTB

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Another member here has his tuned to 98 grams and that includes holders and all hardware. Only missing brake pads. Thanks for the scale shot! You wouldn't want to sell those would you? :)

xena
Banned

by xena

Yeah the fibs are way heavier than AX but brake much better. I have 2 pairs of old Orion's and you sacrifice a lot of performance for the light weight. I quite fancy some fibs if I do another build but you cannot get them cheap.
I picked up my orion's for pretty good price's on Ebay . The cheapest I have seen them go for is £250.
There are quite a few ax 3000 for sale on ebay right now but expensive and the older orion's are just as light or even lighter.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

donald

by donald

I took one more gram off my pad holders so now the total weight for both calipers, with all hardware, including pads and pad holders is 97 grams. On the front I have a very minimal titanium spring that I made and on the rear I have a carbon spring.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Donald that's a crazy weight for a set with pads and all hardware.....I'm sacrificing a ton of weight over your build there.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Very excited to announce that I'll be partnering with schmolke carbon on this project. I've always used their bars and this build will be no exception. I'm aiming to do a crazy light bar/stem combo that is under 180 grams.

xena
Banned

by xena

kevosinn wrote:Very excited to announce that I'll be partnering with schmolke carbon on this project. I've always used their bars and this build will be no exception. I'm aiming to do a crazy light bar/stem combo that is under 180 grams.

That's insane :thumbup:
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

That's going to be the ultimate bar/stem combo!! Schmolke bars are always beautiful so a combo will be insane!!!!

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

The bars from schmolke showed up and all I have to say is wow. They really do some beautiful top notch work. These bars come in at an insane 131 grams and are stiffer than several 200 plus gram bars I have laying around here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com