Specialized E5 Smartweld

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MattSparkes

by MattSparkes

Just putting the finishing touches to a budget-but-light-and-plenty-spinny build for this year's Etape du Tour. It's 8.4kg currently: I just need to trim the steerer and cut off the excess cable inner. Was hoping it'd be a little lighter...

Frame: 2016 Allez E5
Groupset: Ultegra 6800 (50/34, 12-32T)
Wheels: 2016 Mavic Aksium Elite
Stem: Thomson (temporary, need a black one)
Bars: Easton EA70
Saddle: Fizik
Bottle cages: Elite Custom Race

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

lol at that steerer tube. Looks great can't wait to see the finish bike.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Stem fix = BBQ grill spray paint. Then cook it in the oven at 200* for an hour.

Stefano

by Stefano

Beautiful bike!

I would be really careful about cooking any bike parts if it doesn't explicitly say it's ok. You could alter the grain structure to the point the stem could fail. If you want a permanent coating, send it to an anodization shop or just buy a black one.

Stay safe,
Stefano

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Any metal part that would be negatively impacted by heating to only 200* is not something you want on your bike anyway.

Back on topic, that's a good looking bike. I am a bit surprised it's not a bit lighter.

FreaK

by FreaK

It's easy to see why it didn't end up as light as you might have been hoping; Aksiums are crummy boat anchors. I say this as someone who's very warm towards budget options and even capable of forgiving some of Mavic's faults. They'll last you just long enough to save up for something nice without being extravagant.
Maybe WhiteInd hubs, double butted spokes and some new old stock Edge rims? If you want to stick with Mavic, Ksyrium Elite is not a bad choice, more aero than the Alu spoked Ksyriums and much cheaper.
I'd probably keep the silver just to be different, but if i was looking to save weight on a budget i wouldn't bother with the Thomson, as solid and precise a fit as it is.
The other thing holding you back on weight per dollar is probably the brakes, the newer brakes are better but noticeably heavier than a standard dual pivot due to the extra chunky carrier behind the pivots.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Nice bike, did you weight it with all those sapcers on the headtube? (assuming you did not) There has to be a pounds of spacers there...

Random questions, looks like a weird fit with the amount of seatpost and short stem. From the Picture it looks like a 80mm or something very short.

JoeFlan

by JoeFlan

Keep the silver stem and throw on a silver Thomson seat post, that should pull it all together
Current Steed
Supersix Evo 6.25kg
CAAD10 6.8kg
Giant TCR SLR 6.8kg
Past Lovers
Focus Izalco Pro
Cervelo S1

terrible1

by terrible1

JoeFlan wrote:Keep the silver stem and throw on a silver Thomson seat post, that should pull it all together

Ooh, leftfield. But looking at it, he's right.

Multebear

by Multebear

Sorry, I don't know how to put this lightly, but maybe you need to work a little more on that bike before it's worthy of a topic of it's own. And the picture is just horrible quality and too big. If the purpose is to show a finished bike, then take the picture, when the bike is finished. If the purpose is to show a project, then take pictures all the way. This is somehow to much in between.

MattSparkes

by MattSparkes

Click, click, click...

That's the noise that my BB30 BB with adapters for Shimano cranks pressed in makes. Is it time to plump for a Praxis BB? The clicking is insufferable at the moment. Everything else is grand. Really happy with the bike. May get some slightly better/lighter wheels in future. These Mavic Aksium Elites flex a little while climbing and rub on the pads at the rear.

MattSparkes

by MattSparkes

I obviously need to lose a little more steerer as well. I just want to get a couple of hundred miles on it first and make sure that I get the stem where I want it.

SMG

by SMG

As a noob starting to think about upgrades with a BB30, are you referring to this? http://www.praxiscycles.com/conversion-bb/

junchen

by junchen

Wheels mfg sells an adapter for 24mm shimano spindles. U keep your existing bb30 bottom bracket. Been using it for a while. No funky sounds.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com