I Finally Have an Illegal Bike!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

My previous bike from 2008 was 16.4lb (one before that from 1999 was 18lb). I've got a few things working against me: I'm 6'2", prioritize aero over weight, and only ride road 6 months a year with a couple races so I can't justify spending a lot on my road bike. Here it is now that my girlfriend has lowered the seat and swapped the pedals and stem:

I got a smoking deal on this frameset (61cm), had most of the parts sitting in a box, and bought some $600 Chinese wheels to finish it off. 14.6lb as pictured.

Here it is ready to ride with bottle, flat kit, and Garmin:

And with aero bar for when I want to get my TT on!

The Profile Lightning Stryke comes on and off quickly with two bolts and with a little customization integrates nicely with the Easton EC90 Aero drop bar. Notice how the pad supports hide behind the bar tops, AERO!

I'm really stoked on this bike and I think the cost/weight/aero balance is awesome. My only complaints are that I had to get an aftermarket headset bearing cover cuz the stock one was tall (combined with a tall head tube) and they only offer a setback seatpost. I've got my saddle all the way forward and still wish I could move it another few mm when I'm really getting low. I'm considering a Tririg Omega X front brake that should drop 10g and improve the aero a little.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I just rebuilt my bike after unpacking it from my Girona trip. I couldn't believe how light it was until I added the packed seat bag, bike computer, pump and one bottle of filled water.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I've been meaning to hang it on a scale with those things to get a "ready to ride" weight but I'd do an empty bottle. I weight weenied everything associated with the seat pack, use the smallest Garmin & mount, and the Specialized aero bottle & cage seem pretty light so I'm guessing a pound of additional weight. I think I remember the aero bar weighing 400g.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

That's a great look, and a really good weight for "aero".

It's fun to ride "illegal".

Give up some details n the wheels. Brand, seller, weights? Happy with them so far?

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Farsports 23mm wide, 50 rear 38 front deep, "bulged aero V shape". 20/24 CX-Rays w/alloy internal nips. EdHub hubs that are pretty light and not much upcharge over Novatec. After maybe 20 rides they've been fine. 1340g and stiff so they spin up quickly. $600 after shipping.

addictR1

by addictR1

What's the weight on that Easton handlebar and what size?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

Looks really nice for such a big frame

shotgun

by shotgun

Nice setup! Any chance you can share more info on your TT/Aerobar and Pads setup?
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

addictR1 wrote:What's the weight on that Easton handlebar and what size?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Claimed weight is 225g. I got the 40cm version. I've always ridden 42 and was nervous about the change but glad I went 40.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

shotgun wrote:Nice setup! Any chance you can share more info on your TT/Aerobar and Pads setup?

I got the Lightning Stryke and required Hammer stem at least 6 years ago. I love them and think it's a great system for someone like me who takes the aero bar on and off a lot. There's a magnesium wing that supports the pads and goes on top of the diamond shaped stem with two bolts connecting it to the magnesium block below the stem that receives the aero extension. The limitation is that the extention will be at the angle your stem is but with this headtube angle and -6° stem it feels fine. I had to remove a little material from the pad support wing to clear the aero shape of the Easton bar tops and I removed all pad spacers to get them right on top of the bar. I trimmed a lot of material off the pads and their support cups to minimize interferance with my knees when standing climbing and with my hands when on the bar tops. It's the lightest and easiest to install/remove aero bar I'm aware of and maybe you can still find it and the Hammer stem.

bencolem

by bencolem

I'm amazed at that weight, especially for a 61cm. Is that for the complete bike (as in the 1st picture including pedals)? Funnily enough I took my Fuji for a ride today for the first time in months having been riding my Argon, Zanc and BMC mainly. It's a size 58 Altamira with Sram Red and R-Sys SLR wheels but even that's 15lbs dead-on with pedals. How are you finding the ride? Fuji's tend to, err, give a lot of feedback! Looks good btw!

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

14.6lb as in the first picture, which is how I think a bike should be weighed: with pedals but no accessories. I couldn't weigh the frameset but claimed weights are pretty good and an improvement from the Altamira. The saddle is very light and the wheels, stem, and bar are pretty light. SlamThatStem bearing cover and 35mm tall stem result in a short, light steerer. The Dura-ace shifters & derailleurs aren't much heavier than Red and my Dura-ace 11-25t cassette is probably a wash with the more common 11-28t Red. The only unusual stuff is 28mm valve stems, I probably use shorter cables and 2 less chain links than most people and no headset preloader, just a piece of carbon glued over the top of the stem after setting it with the stock system then removing it. That stuff probably adds up to 100g. I haven't gotten around to cutting the seatpost yet but no expecting big savings there and the planned Omega X front brake only saves a claimed 10g (plus some cable). Maybe those things will get it down enough to honestly call it a 14 and a half pound bike.

The ride is more forgiving than the Kestrel but less than Roubaixs I've ridden. If it felt too harsh I'd replace the 23mm tires with 25s and drop pressure from 110/115 to 105/110. My roads are mostly pretty smooth so ride quality comes last in my list of priorities. It's comfortable enough that the Ebay carbon saddle hasn't bothered me on 60+mi rides.

addictR1

by addictR1

Lelandjt wrote:
shotgun wrote:Nice setup! Any chance you can share more info on your TT/Aerobar and Pads setup?

I got the Lightning Stryke and required Hammer stem at least 6 years ago. I love them and think it's a great system for someone like me who takes the aero bar on and off a lot. There's a magnesium wing that supports the pads and goes on top of the diamond shaped stem with two bolts connecting it to the magnesium block below the stem that receives the aero extension. The limitation is that the extention will be at the angle your stem is but with this headtube angle and -6° stem it feels fine. I had to remove a little material from the pad support wing to clear the aero shape of the Easton bar tops and I removed all pad spacers to get them right on top of the bar. I trimmed a lot of material off the pads and their support cups to minimize interferance with my knees when standing climbing and with my hands when on the bar tops. It's the lightest and easiest to install/remove aero bar I'm aware of and maybe you can still find it and the Hammer stem.

man.. i found the hammer stem.. but can't find the Profile Design Lightning Stryke Lava.. :(

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Yeah, in the early 2000s aero bars on drop bars became very unfashionable so not many products like this were developed and it wasn't made for long. With all the renewed interest in bikes that don't conform to racing types and long, comfortable rides maybe the idea of light, easily removed aero bars will come back again. Don't those people with sky high head tubes on "endurance" bikes wanna get low, narrow, and rest their arms when facing a long flat headwind?

addictR1

by addictR1

I want one for my BMC TMR02 for when I do tri. Other times would just take it off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com