-Garmin Fenix 3 HR
-Garmin Speed Sensor (rear hub version)
-Topeak Ninja Pump
-Bold Precision Ti QR skewers

I'll get some new pictures up soon!

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Some more changes (2-3 steps backwards since this is WW):

- Got rid of powerpod in favor of Garmin Vector dual-sensing ... much much easier to use and setup than powerpod. All in with Garmin currently, between the Fenix 3, hub speed sensor and pedals, I've got wireless speed, cadence, power and GPS. Great, and it just works with minimal fuss.

- Went from Bold Precision Ti skewers back to stock Mavics... the lightweight skewers were letting the rear wheel move in the dropout after hard sprints/efforts, causing brake rub. Not very reassuring.

- Went from AX Daedalus/Becker Saddle, to Alu Fizik Cyrano Post w/ Arione 00, now to early 2000s Campagnolo Record Carbon post with shim + Turbomatic 4 saddle. The AX/Becker setup went pretty quick, needed to lose 20 lb + gain a bunch of fitness for it to make sense. Will save that for special events in the future. The Cyrano post functioned perfectly, but my pelvis does not agree with the Arione. Had the Campy post laying around, and picked up an extra Turbomatic since the one on my other Merckx is well used and proven to work for me. This setup is a real boat anchor, see pics below. I've got a few other Prologo saddles to try out which I will try this week... still looking for the perfect saddle balancing reasonable weight with good comfort.

Now for some pictures, in case you guys ever wondered how much any of these things weigh:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Blasphemy I know, but that last combo is a total win, despite the weight gain. :thumbup:

brianwchan

by brianwchan

New weight with some de-modding - 16.1lb or 7.3kg

Have to say I'm pretty pleased with the final weight of this build, not bad for a 15 year old frame with pretty much standard parts. I got rid of the exotic WW stuff like the ti skewers (they moved (!) under power), AX seatpost and Becker saddle, and the Token CNC cassette 11-25 (in favor of a larger and heavier 12-27 Centaur 10speed). Went back to the Arione 00 as I got a fitting and realized it wasn't the saddle at all, it was the position I'd place myself in. The seat is quite comfortable with bibs on, in jeans, not so much.

It rides beautifully and even brakes nicely now that the Zero Gravity brakes are properly set up - as far as I'm concerned the bike is done.

dj97223

by dj97223

Beautiful bike!
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

kgt

by kgt

We need more and better pictures but from what I see so far the enve logos on the fork should definitely go.

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice. I really want a Merckx Team XC for my collection. James sez: 'nice nerf'...

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Yes, +1 on better pics for this build!
Personally I think the AX Daedalus looks better, considering the frame uses a 31.6mm seatpost unlike the original version on 27.2mm

One of the best looking Team SC ever..

Cheers!

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Thanks for the kind comments guys - yes, i agree that more/better pictures are needed. I took a few with my phone but they came out horribly. Going to try again this weekend.

I've got a set of blackout decals for the Enve fork, I think I'll apply those before the weekend as well.

Lastly I'll keep the Fizik heavy duty alu post in for now, as I am close to the weight limit of the AX post. As I gain fitness and lose weight I will consider swapping to the AX.

Question: The 'rails' of the Becker saddle aren't very even/consistent, and don't really 'sit' in the grooves of the AX clamps. Is this a common issue with those saddles, and if so is it safe to ride?

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Some new pics... wouldn't be San Francisco without the piles of garbage in the background...

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Awesome!! Perfect in every way. Congrats

wisgliebau

by wisgliebau

Looks righteous! Cannibal indeed, the thing is beastly!

(EDIT: I had a question about why these frames are singled out, but now I realize it is a scandium build. Makes more sense. Were there comparable alternatives at the time that these were around?)

And ugh, you're so right about the trash in SF... I think the place has even gotten worse since I lived there for university a few years back. Visited in the spring and was in shock at the state of the area around Union Square.

Bely

by Bely

This along with the original fork could be one of my Favourite bikes if not fav in this forum... [emoji817] You sir = class

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com