Specialized Venge, not vias - 7.32kg #illest (3/27)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Updated 5/1
Updated 4/5 with -17 110mm stem
updated 3/27 with frame pump and custom 3d printed mounts from whereswaldo!!! stoked. also more frame pump hehe

haven't done one of these in 4 years, been on a caad10 #aluminati and it successfully piloted me from through 5 categories of amateur racing in 4 years. #bae4life. My team shop decided to branch out to a road squad and here i am! The color is super bright and rad. Its red, but sunlight will turn it orange... I dig it.

OK, i paid for etap, but delayed til who knows when.... caad10 offered up sram 22. This bike still needs a little dialing. Bars (hoods) are too high. -17 arx stem on route, and 8mm bearing cover.

Hot import nights modlist:
specialized 2016 venge frameset
specialized aerofly 40cm bars
specialized velvet HD wrap
specialized sworks rib cage II
specialized 170mm cranks
specialized turbo pro tires 24c
Quarq specialized PM
specialized sworks TT chain rings 53/39
sram 22 shifters
sram Aerolink brakes
sram 22 FD
sram 1130 chain
Sram 10 sped force RD (and RED 22 swing arm and jockey wheels)
Sram Red 11-26t and Force 11-28t
Look Blade 2 Ti 12nm pedals
Bontrager aeolus d3 50mm
Fizik r3 saddle
Shimano 9000 housing and cables
Easton EA90 -10 110mm stem , debadged
Bud Hammerton custom 3d printed garmin mount

bb-seat top , 695mm
seat tip to car center next to stem , 535mm
saddle offset 40mm

Last edited by nathanong87 on Sun May 01, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.

lrdunc

by lrdunc

That thing is so nice. Very cool to see the orange in sunlight vs the red in the shaded pics. I love the contrast of the black post / seat tube. How do you like those Turbo tires / how long have you been riding them? I recently switched to those in 26c from GP4000SII in 25c and really like them a lot so far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

lrdunc wrote:That thing is so nice. Very cool to see the orange in sunlight vs the red in the shaded pics. I love the contrast of the black post / seat tube. How do you like those Turbo tires / how long have you been riding them? I recently switched to those in 26c from GP4000SII in 25c and really like them a lot so far.

i had the old turbo tires which i liked alot, and I've only done 60 miles on these new black ones in 24c. The cottons weren't in stock but i'd like to try those too this year! i've been on gp4000sII for the last 4 years and no complaints or negatives about s-tires so far.

KarlC

by KarlC

lrdunc wrote:That thing is so nice. Very cool to see the orange in sunlight vs the red in the shaded pics. I love the contrast of the black post / seat tube.

+100 on that !!

Nice job Nate
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

nathanong87 wrote:haven't done one of these in 4 years, been on a caad10 #aluminati and it successfully piloted me from through 5 categories of amateur racing in 4 years. #bae4life. My team shop decided to branch out to a road squad and here i am! The color is super bright and rad. Its red, but sunlight will turn it orange... I dig it.

OK, i paid for etap, but delayed til who knows when.... caad10 offered up sram 22. This bike still needs a little dialing. Bars (hoods) are too high. -17 arx stem on route, and 8mm bearing cover.

Hot import nights modlist:
specialized 2016 venge frameset
specialized aerofly 40cm bars
specialized velvet HD wrap
specialized sworks rib cage II
specialized 170mm cranks
specialized turbo pro tires 24c
Quarq specialized PM
specialized sworks TT chain rings 53/39
sram 22 shifters
sram Aerolink brakes
sram 22 FD
sram 1130 chain
Sram 10 sped force RD (and RED 22 swing arm and jockey wheels)
Sram Red 11-26t and Force 11-28t
Look Blade 2 Ti 12nm pedals
Bontrager aeolus d3 50mm
Fizik r3 saddle
Shimano 9000 housing and cables
Easton EA90 -10 110mm stem , debadged
Bud Hammerton custom 3d printed garmin mount

bb-seat top , 695mm
seat tip to car center next to stem , 535mm
saddle offset 40mm

Sick bike... I have a good friend on one and he loves it.

lrdunc wrote:That thing is so nice. Very cool to see the orange in sunlight vs the red in the shaded pics. I love the contrast of the black post / seat tube. How do you like those Turbo tires / how long have you been riding them? I recently switched to those in 26c from GP4000SII in 25c and really like them a lot so far.

I've been on S-Works Turbo tires for more than a year now. You're going to love them. I run a 24 on the front and a 26 on the back of both of my bikes. It allows me to run slightly less pressure in the rear and keep the ride a little more comfortable. In comparison to GP4000S II's, I'd say the S-Works Turbos are faster in terms of rolling resistance. They are a more supple tire. I also think they have more grip than the Conti's. Supposedly, they don't last as long as the Conti's, but I've gotten many, many miles out of mine. Actually more than any set of Conti's I ever had. I always managed to have the sidewalls on my GP4000's blow-out long before the tread was actually dead. Ultimately, that's why I switched away from the Conti's, I went through 3 sets of tires in one summer where the sidewalls were splitting open. Fortunately, I caught every single one of them before they resulted in blow outs while riding. Some of my friends weren't so lucky. As pluses, the S-Works are less expensive and lighter than the Conti's.

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice. Love the colour.

rheosibal

by rheosibal

Is the CAAD wall art for now? :(
Instagram: joserheo

|| Mosaic RT-1 || Cannondale Evo || Cannondale CAAD10 ||

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

#illin
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

VengeSWrks

by VengeSWrks

Nice Venge! I have an older S-Works Venge and I love everything about it.

Danza

by Danza

why did you install the chainrings off by one position?

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Danza wrote:why did you install the chainrings off by one position?

it's not, i dunno if that is for old quarq's where the POD is located, but the chain ring drop pin is located at the crank arm position.

see this picture...
http://i64.tinypic.com/2mdzj8.jpg

also another bike on google images
http://www.slowtwitch.com/articles/imag ... Works6.jpg

EDIT:

so in googling this answer, because i want to know also.... i think the OLD specialized crankset quarq cinqo needs that area cutout for the power pod. All other quarqs seems to be have the current placement as on my bike

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Awesome when its orange!!
Official cafe stop tester

VengeSWrks

by VengeSWrks

nathanong87 wrote:
Danza wrote:why did you install the chainrings off by one position?

it's not, i dunno if that is for old quarq's where the POD is located, but the chain ring drop pin is located at the crank arm position.

see this picture...
http://i64.tinypic.com/2mdzj8.jpg

also another bike on google images
http://www.slowtwitch.com/articles/imag ... Works6.jpg

EDIT:

so in googling this answer, because i want to know also.... i think the OLD specialized crankset quarq cinqo needs that area cutout for the power pod. All other quarqs seems to be have the current placement as on my bike

This is my setup.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lrdunc

by lrdunc

CrankAddictsRich wrote:I've been on S-Works Turbo tires for more than a year now. You're going to love them. I run a 24 on the front and a 26 on the back of both of my bikes. It allows me to run slightly less pressure in the rear and keep the ride a little more comfortable. In comparison to GP4000S II's, I'd say the S-Works Turbos are faster in terms of rolling resistance. They are a more supple tire. I also think they have more grip than the Conti's. Supposedly, they don't last as long as the Conti's, but I've gotten many, many miles out of mine. Actually more than any set of Conti's I ever had. I always managed to have the sidewalls on my GP4000's blow-out long before the tread was actually dead. Ultimately, that's why I switched away from the Conti's, I went through 3 sets of tires in one summer where the sidewalls were splitting open. Fortunately, I caught every single one of them before they resulted in blow outs while riding. Some of my friends weren't so lucky. As pluses, the S-Works are less expensive and lighter than the Conti's.

Thanks for all the insight about the tires. Coincidentally, I blew out two 4kSII tires in less than a week. Leaning into a turn descending Topanga Canyon I hit a rock that sliced through the front tire sidewall completely. That was the closest (by far) I've come to a big crash yet. A few days later, I was just cruising along a flat section of Sunset and hit something that totally cut through the rear tire sidewall (didn't even see it, and I'm usually really diligent about watching the road for debris). Anyway, not really negative points about the tires themselves as both of these were sorta "extreme" cases when anyone would expect the tires to get sliced...it just happened to be the reason that I switched over to the S Works tires (I was out of Conti spares and there's a Specialized store across the street from my office).

Anyway, Nate, thanks for posting more pics. That red / orange contrast is pretty crazy. What sort of Garmin mount is that? Is there a point to the dual-sided-ness of it or is that just aesthetics? Looks cool either way.