Specialized Venge, not vias - 7.32kg #illest (3/27)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

lrdunc wrote:Anyway, Nate, thanks for posting more pics. That red / orange contrast is pretty crazy. What sort of Garmin mount is that? Is there a point to the dual-sided-ness of it or is that just aesthetics? Looks cool either way.

cheers dude! yea it's so hard to capture the color of this. originally i was going to paint this thing boonen style , but i really love this highlighter color!

the garmin mount 2 sided was a necessity. E-friend Whereswaldo helped me spec it up, but basically 44mm stem faceplate width and a 58-60mm (unknown) clamp area of the specialized aerofly bar, did not allow for a 1-sided arm barfly 10mm wide arm to bolt next to stem. There isn't enough room before the bar becomes a 'wing' profile. So the only options to my knowledge that exist for garmin are the original rubber band garmin mounts, fetha.com.au direct mount (75$ and wait time) , rec-mounts (60$ looks way worse than fetha and from japan), or this custom double sided as shown with 7mm arms. The mount is basically mm perfect and nearly doesn't work, but it does wonderfully!!! My friend who owns a zip sl70 bar says his clamp area is even smaller so im not sure how many applications this would work with. Im super stoked about it!

109er

by 109er

The details really make this bike. I can dig it.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beverly

by Beverly

dope. stem cap is niiiice.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

lrdunc wrote:
Thanks for all the insight about the tires. Coincidentally, I blew out two 4kSII tires in less than a week. Leaning into a turn descending Topanga Canyon I hit a rock that sliced through the front tire sidewall completely. That was the closest (by far) I've come to a big crash yet. A few days later, I was just cruising along a flat section of Sunset and hit something that totally cut through the rear tire sidewall (didn't even see it, and I'm usually really diligent about watching the road for debris). Anyway, not really negative points about the tires themselves as both of these were sorta "extreme" cases when anyone would expect the tires to get sliced...it just happened to be the reason that I switched over to the S Works tires (I was out of Conti spares and there's a Specialized store across the street from my office).

Are you sure the tires weren't already damaged in the sidewalls... IMO, the GP4000's that I had, had defective sidewalls. I assumed they were always just cuts, but then after all of the experiences of my own and those of my friends, I'm of the opinion that the GP4000S II's have a sidewall defect. I'm not the only one that thinks this either... if you google it, you'll find a lot of people complain about sidewall degradation long before the tread life was worn down. In contrast, I've yet to have sidewall issues with any of my S-Works Turbos and I ride them in exactly the same manner on the same roads.

nathanong87 wrote:
the garmin mount 2 sided was a necessity. E-friend Whereswaldo helped me spec it up, but basically 44mm stem faceplate width and a 58-60mm (unknown) clamp area of the specialized aerofly bar, did not allow for a 1-sided arm barfly 10mm wide arm to bolt next to stem. There isn't enough room before the bar becomes a 'wing' profile. So the only options to my knowledge that exist for garmin are the original rubber band garmin mounts, fetha.com.au direct mount (75$ and wait time) , rec-mounts (60$ looks way worse than fetha and from japan), or this custom double sided as shown with 7mm arms. The mount is basically mm perfect and nearly doesn't work, but it does wonderfully!!! My friend who owns a zip sl70 bar says his clamp area is even smaller so im not sure how many applications this would work with. Im super stoked about it!

I use this Fizik Cyrano Stem and Barfly Fizik mount on both my Venge and Allez.

I did a full write-up here.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

yea that direct mount is sick, i just need the angle of -17 on the bike. I bought the old ARX, but decided to run the mount that waldo helped me with.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

nathanong87 wrote:yea that direct mount is sick, i just need the angle of -17 on the bike. I bought the old ARX, but decided to run the mount that waldo helped me with.

Yea... I hear you. Fizik makes 7* and 20*. I'm currently running a 7* slammed, but I'd like to go lower.... 20 would be a little too aggressive though. I wish they made one in the 12* range.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

got a -17 , 110mm arx on there

KWalker

by KWalker

lrdunc wrote:
CrankAddictsRich wrote:I've been on S-Works Turbo tires for more than a year now. You're going to love them. I run a 24 on the front and a 26 on the back of both of my bikes. It allows me to run slightly less pressure in the rear and keep the ride a little more comfortable. In comparison to GP4000S II's, I'd say the S-Works Turbos are faster in terms of rolling resistance. They are a more supple tire. I also think they have more grip than the Conti's. Supposedly, they don't last as long as the Conti's, but I've gotten many, many miles out of mine. Actually more than any set of Conti's I ever had. I always managed to have the sidewalls on my GP4000's blow-out long before the tread was actually dead. Ultimately, that's why I switched away from the Conti's, I went through 3 sets of tires in one summer where the sidewalls were splitting open. Fortunately, I caught every single one of them before they resulted in blow outs while riding. Some of my friends weren't so lucky. As pluses, the S-Works are less expensive and lighter than the Conti's.

Thanks for all the insight about the tires. Coincidentally, I blew out two 4kSII tires in less than a week. Leaning into a turn descending Topanga Canyon I hit a rock that sliced through the front tire sidewall completely. That was the closest (by far) I've come to a big crash yet. A few days later, I was just cruising along a flat section of Sunset and hit something that totally cut through the rear tire sidewall (didn't even see it, and I'm usually really diligent about watching the road for debris). Anyway, not really negative points about the tires themselves as both of these were sorta "extreme" cases when anyone would expect the tires to get sliced...it just happened to be the reason that I switched over to the S Works tires (I was out of Conti spares and there's a Specialized store across the street from my office).

Anyway, Nate, thanks for posting more pics. That red / orange contrast is pretty crazy. What sort of Garmin mount is that? Is there a point to the dual-sided-ness of it or is that just aesthetics? Looks cool either way.

Turbos are much slower than GP4000 with the exception of 1 width: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1224624714

Back to the bike that orange is such an awesome color in person. It will always be awesome/classic/YOLO. Setup looks on point, as expected from this guy!
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

KWalker wrote:
Turbos are much slower than GP4000 with the exception of 1 width: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1224624714

Back to the bike that orange is such an awesome color in person. It will always be awesome/classic/YOLO. Setup looks on point, as expected from this guy!

The turbos tested in that test are not the current SWorks Turbos...

Here's the most current data on rolling resistance.

http://velonews.competitor.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road-what-makes-cycling-tires-fast

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
KWalker wrote:

http://velonews.competitor.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road-what-makes-cycling-tires-fast

oh sick!

KWalker

by KWalker

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
KWalker wrote:

Read closer, they are. Tom has the tires direct from HQ. Read his latest blog post in which he discusses that such entries on the list are from the most recent model. The VN test was not done before the most recent S-Works Turbo shipped with the updated casing and no independent test done by anyone else confirms their result with that tire. Nerded out so hard on tire crr before deciding to stick with GP for the time being. Its irrelevant if they fat tho so my theory is if you have good luck with flats and the tire is in the top 5, never switch!

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/2016/03 ... party.html

"Not long after receiving this data, I also received a box from Specialized containing samples of each of the listed tires for me to roller test personally for Crr."

Anyway- Nathan if you stick with 3T and go ARX II Waldo made me a mount for the slotted faceplate that could work if you add 5mm in length for the 520 buttons. Its awesome! I've seen a lot of Speci riders with Barflys and Aerofly, but now that you posted the measurements I have no clue how that would work considering how much thicker they are.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

KWalker wrote:Anyway- Nathan if you stick with 3T and go ARX II Waldo made me a mount for the slotted faceplate that could work if you add 5mm in length for the 520 buttons. Its awesome! I've seen a lot of Speci riders with Barflys and Aerofly, but now that you posted the measurements I have no clue how that would work considering how much thicker they are.

The design was based on the stem i was using at the time, the Easton ea90, which measures 44 wide due to it's design on the faceplate and stem (see the rounded edged that make it a tad wider in link). Now im using a arx1
http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/i ... 700-80.jpg

It works on speci teams because, stems like the specialized sl stem they are 40mm wide at the clamp face, and the arx1 are for sure not 44mm wide, but maybe 42 (cannot speak for arx2). If 40mm stem clamp and 59ish clamp area, then there is close nearing 10mm on either side. Im convinced that the clamp area isn't 60mm and the bar fly which measures 10mm wide is brute forced shut and other garmin mounts , like the one that comes with edge computers. Alot more clamping room with a specialized stem
http://i57.tinypic.com/2myrjh4.jpg

originally i had reached out to Bud, because i wanted a side mount option for the 50mm wide zipp sprint sl , but we couldn't come up with a safe mount. And wouldn't spend 80$ on a metal option. the pro vibe sprint is even worse at 55mm wide faceplate
Last edited by nathanong87 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

KWalker wrote:Anyway- Nathan if you stick with 3T and go ARX II Waldo made me a mount for the slotted faceplate that could work if you add 5mm in length for the 520 buttons.

Do you have a pic of this?

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
KWalker wrote:Anyway- Nathan if you stick with 3T and go ARX II Waldo made me a mount for the slotted faceplate that could work if you add 5mm in length for the 520 buttons.

Do you have a pic of this?

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=130946&start=120

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nismosr

by nismosr

Image[/quote]

which waldo mount is this one, is it made for fizik saddle only .. sick bike btw.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante