New WW Project - Planet X Nanolight from 2010

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

will86

by will86

Hello Everyone!

I'm a new member here and am in the middle of rebuilding my race bike from 2010, a Planet X Nanolight. The build list is quite varied and contains some new parts and lots of old parts. I'm planning on doing quite a lot more work to the parts and have been reading up on the tuning of derailleurs and shifters with interest. I'm sure I can find many answers to questions I have all over the forums here, but I would appreciate the advice of members from time to time when I get stuck on something!

My first major job has been to strip the paint from the frame and pare it back to its carbon finish. I've been doing this mainly with the razor blade method as carbolift seemed a bit expensive and/or unreliable as a method. I'll wet sand if when I've finally managed to get all the clearcoat off. I'm currently about halfway through finishing off the frame having finished off the forks last month. Many people might question whether its worth investing so much time and effort on a frame such as the Nanolight, and the opinion on Planet X on forums like this is never universally positive, but its a frame I've owned and enjoyed riding on for several years, and as I'm lacking the funds for a new frame, I thought refreshing this existing frame would be a nice project. The running gear and brakes are a mish mash of old sram red from around 2010 and newer parts that I've replaced as I've gone along. The final build list will be as follows.

Frame Planet X Nanolight 2010 Model
Fork Planet X Nanolight 2010 Model
Stem Ritchey WCS Carbon, 100mm
Bars Ritchey WCS Evolution SL 40cm
Seatpost Ritchey WCS 1-Bolt
Headset Ribble Stealth
Saddle Selle Italia SLR Flow Carbon Ulteam
Bar Tape Supacaz
Cables Jagwire
Shifters SRAM Red
Brakes SRAM Force
FD SRAM Red
RD SRAM Apex Long Cage
Cranks SRAM S900
BB SRAM GXP
Chainrings Fibre Lyte Carbon 52/36
Pedals Look Keo Max
Wheels FarSports 30mm Carbon Tubulars (to be confirmed dependant on funds)
Chain KMC 10 Speed Silver
Cassette Recon 10 Speed Aluminium/Titanium
Tubulars Tufo S3

I still have quite a lot of work to do and I'm missing some parts, most notably the new wheels from farsports (anyone got strong opinions on the reliability of these?). At the moment I'm using 32 spoke alloy rims with powertap rear hub on my training bike, but these wheels are bit heavy for this build, so will be looking at some lighter wheels. The current projected build weight based on my quick measurements on a set of kitchen scales for most parts will be around 6kg on the nose which I would be more than happy with. I am not keen on going down the road of buying everything on Extralite's website as I don't feel I can justify the cost vs the weight saving. If anyone has any suggestions of more economical ways to trim weight off this build then I'd love to hear from you!

Anyway, I will update this thread when I'm making progress with things!

W

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Needs pics & weights.

Farsports wheels (3 sets) have been good for me.