Evo Nano 2015 - new pics

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Skylark

by Skylark

They call this the Nano. What is special about it?

Can anyone with any quality information or feedback allude as to the ride characteristics over Hi-Mod?

jdc5r

by jdc5r

what wheels?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Definitely some new bike placebo in there too ;-).

I've never ridden another version of the Super Six Evo but the Nano does have an eerie smoothness (kinda floats) for such a light bike. Other light bikes I've ridden always have felt a bit jittery or harsh to me and the Nano never has. The best compliment I can think of is that it feels solid like a heavier bike but is truly feather-weight. To me it's not mega stiff in terms of response, but not bad in any way.

defride

by defride

ultyguy wrote:Definitely some new bike placebo in there too ;-).

I've never ridden another version of the Super Six Evo but the Nano does have an eerie smoothness (kinda floats) for such a light bike. Other light bikes I've ridden always have felt a bit jittery or harsh to me and the Nano never has. The best compliment I can think of is that it feels solid like a heavier bike but is truly feather-weight. To me it's not mega stiff in terms of response, but not bad in any way.

You're probably right re placebo!

Having said that and coming straight off the Hi-Mod which I really liked I'd say I've never felt quiet so connected to a bike as I did yesterday. That 'floaty' over rough while still feeling 'solid' is as good a description as any and I totally agree, the Hi-Mod is similar in this respect just not quite to the same degree. First impression based on a couple of hill sprints is that it's plenty stiff but without the usual trade off in harshness which maybe gives the impression that it's not as stiff as it is. I'm only 75kg so someone bigger might have a different experience.

Skylark wrote:They call this the Nano. What is special about it?

Can anyone with any quality information or feedback allude as to the ride characteristics over Hi-Mod?

As I understand it it's the resin that's different. Nano particles (carbon Nano Tube?) are mixed in to increase the strength of the cured tubes so they're able to use less material and lower the frame weight. Based on my first ride I'd say there is a difference in the way it rides as compared to the Hi-Mod, I've added some first impression notes elsewhere and will update as I spend some more time on it.

I think resin is an underrated part of the make up of any design, just like Reynolds cold working 631 or heat treating 853, it's the same steel and both are great products but they offer slightly different ride characteristics. Whether the difference is enough to justify the price difference is a matter for the individual!

defride

by defride

jdc5r wrote:what wheels?

Handbuilt, Ikon front hub (Novatec), Sapim Laser, Reynolds Assault / Tune 170, Sapim Race, Reynolds Assault. Set up is Tubeless

Skylark

by Skylark

Please let us know if it feels any stiffer?

HM certainly feels stiffer to me than SM. But it's still falling short in stiffness to me.

HM rides more like an alloy frame. OTOH SM feels dead just like any other carbon frame.

I'm guessing Nano is just more of the same?

Please keep us posted with more information from your experiences.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

I certainly wouldn't call a non hi mod evo a 'dead' feeling frame!!!

Skylark

by Skylark

burglarboycie wrote:I certainly wouldn't call a non hi mod evo a 'dead' feeling frame!!!

Trust me it is. Compared to a HM.

defride

by defride

Finally got around to re-taping the bars with 3T Pro tape and decided to finish off by going 120mm and Zipp Course SL for the stem. It comes in 10g heavier than the Ritchey at 144g but feels stiff(er?)

As requested bars are Zipp Course SL T13 Traditional - 87.5 reach 130mm drop

Nearly 500 miles on it now and just loving the way it rides. It's super smooth yet reacts like lightening to any input, it simply feels fast and is a joy to ride. Had considered getting some deeper sections, Reynolds or Bora's maybe but going to hold fire unless an offer that can't be refused presents itself. The only other area for debate was the saddle, very tempted by a Berk but I know the Flite suits and the carbon flow is even comfier than the standard Ti.

Had some problems with the crank coming loose so bumped it up to 42nm on the torque wrench I'm using and it seems to have done the trick. The Scwable One Pro's are very good, light, grippy and they feel fast. Tubeless has been so so. On the rear over the last week I've had a puncture that sealed and one that didn't. I'd bought a Weldtite repair kit that didn't work and only served to widen the hole. This was running Stan's sealant however the new Stan's Race sealant arrived this morning. It took a couple of goes but it has sealed the big hole, you can see sealant poking out of the hole! Not sure I'm happy to ride on it though and will repair with a patch. On the plus side I'm pretty sure this new sealant would have sealed every puncture I've had using road tubeless in the past. Previously I've found that the high pressures of road tyres has forced the sealant out quicker than it can seal in some cases, this new stuff is much better.

and some pics of the finished bike 5.955kg

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Love it! I definitely want a nano for my next frame.

defride

by defride

New wheels, Vision Metron 55, catalogue weight 1510g actual 1435g - these have ceramic bearings and I believe the latest versions come with steel which may account for the weight difference.

Tufo S33 24mm tires were terrible (last pic), cut up and punctured within 5 miles and the wheels felt heavy riding them. Weight 318g & 316g inc extenders, claimed 300g

Veloflex G+ 23mm, livened up the ride tremendously, in 250 miles on the same roads as the Tufo no cuts at all. Don't notice the weight difference over the clinchers with these on. Only weighed one at 268g inc extender so pretty much bang on claimed 260g. On smooth roads I don't notice to much difference in rolling resistance as compared to the clinchers with tubeless Schwable One Pro 23 but the Pro's seem to roll over rougher surfaces better and the latter is more confidence inspiring in terms of cornering grip though the G+ are close.

Went with 23's as although the Vision's are wide it looked to me with the relatively narrow Tufo 24 that a 25mm was in danger of looking a little light bulb like and clearance isn't huge at the chainstay. I'm used to riding 23mm so stuck with them, may try a 25mm next time now I know I'm pretty happy with the G+.

The wheels are definitely fast, PR's all over the place and noticeably faster descending for no extra effort. Dry braking with SS Black Prince Flash isn't as good as the Reynolds with Cryo Blue (original), the Vision's with Cryo Blue pads were a disaster, don't go there!

Final weight with these wheels 6111g

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Superb!! Loving how the gloss black decals on the wheels match the gloss Cannondale logo in the downtube.

moonoi

by moonoi

I have the same wheels, the Vittoria Rubino Pro Speed G+ in 25mm measure out to be exactly the same as the width of wheel, not sure if the Corsa G+ you have in 25mm will be the same, but I'd expect so.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mrtrinh

by mrtrinh

What a beauty. I like how you have splashes of red to match the sram red components

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

defride

by defride

Cheers Boycie and mrtrinh

Thanks Moonoi, good to know