A design contradiction - Velocite Syn

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Fixie82

by Fixie82

When Velocite offered the new Syn as a test deal I was initially intrigued by the use of thru axles, which coming from a MTB background, was a feature I wanted if I was to purchase a disc frame. The consistent wheel seating and stiffer interface of the system were must haves.

Without entering into a massive debate regarding the redundancy of having non aero disc brakes on an aero frame there were other features that impressed me, such as the stiffness claims and nods to everyday liveability with design cues such as a standard 27.2 seat post. The possibility of also racing discs in the near future was also a prod towards purchase.

Victor at Velocite was very quick to answer my questions about other elements such as Di2/mechanical compatibility, cable routing, standards used etc. At the price offered it was a bit of a no brainer, the discounts were also extended to other products such as wheels, stems, handlebars, posts. In the end I purchased the frame, headset, axles, 140mm rotors and Alter wheelset.

Quality is excellent of all items, wheels came set up for tubeless with valves and tape installed. Frame built up well, routing Di2 was very easy and neat, same with the internal hydraulic routing. I did majority of the build myself with parts I had in the shed, I used a LBS for the brake installation as I didn't have the correct tools for an installation from scratch.

First couple of rides are positive, very positive. It is smooth and provides a very solid feeling when pedalling. I want to move from a 110 stem to a 120 and that should be the sweet spot and bring the steering alive, at the moment I feel a little to upright and behind the front wheel. It's not quite as agile and lively as the Storck Aernario I have but that's not a negative just different. More time will tell I guess.

Frameset: Velocite Syn

Crankset: Rotor 3D BCD110

Pedals: Look Keo Blade 2 (16nm)

Chainring: Praxis Works (52-36)

Cassette: Ultegra (11-23)

Chain: Ultegra

Shifters: Shimano Hydraulic Di2

Derailleurs FD: Ultegra Di2 | RD: Ultegra Di2

Handlebars: Zipp Service Course SL-70 ergo (40cm)

Handlebar Tape: RavX Fibretape

Stem: Giant SLR (110mm)

Saddle: Fizik Kurve Snake

Seatpost: Thomson Elite

Brakes: Shimano

Wheelset: Veleocite Venn (44mm)

Tires: Continental GP4000 (25mm)

Bottle Cages: Elite Sior

ImageImage

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Would have preferred the looks of an aero seatpost, but the frameset looks awesome overall! Pretty much a future-proof bike as it is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addict

by addict

:thumbup: And the weight?

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Weighting (get it?) for an accurate set of scales, on the old luggage scale its 8.2 so not lightweight at all but then discs and di2 I guess. That includes cages, pedals, Kedge pioneer mount. Basically ready to roll.

Plenty of options to lose weight as I go, but it does ride very well as is so will see how it goes.

Kayrehn - I too prefer the look of an aero seat post but this round post was a deliberate decision by Velocite to add a little more compliance to the ride. It would be interesting to see any aero data as to how much drag is added from a 27.2 round post to aero post.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Fixie82 wrote:When Velocite offered the new Syn as a test deal I was initially intrigued by the use of thru axles, which coming from a MTB background, was a feature I wanted if I was to purchase a disc frame. The consistent wheel seating and stiffer interface of the system were must haves.

Ooh.

rupert3k

by rupert3k

Hey Fixie82, interested whether you mounted your Di2 battery in downtube or seatpost & what length EW-SD50 DI2 cables you used?
Doing a similar build (albeit 1x 50x11-40 using XT mech & SC-MT800 display), any updated observations on how you've found it over the years?
Cheers

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Hi rupert3k,

Battery is in the seatpost, I used a Ritchey rubber mount to hold. No issues whatsoever with that setup.

Been a good ride, it's solid and dependable with quite stable steering. I'd probably prefer slightly faster handling if I was to make any changes but that's a personal preference.

Make sure you have stiff/solid bottle cages as anything that allows movement with rattle against the down tube.

You'll enjoy it I'm sure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com