Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha! I can tell this is going to be a fun thread.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tids0009

by tids0009

Calnago wrote:If your C60 is an early one it could very will still be using the steel crown race. I've only seen very recent ones. Are you sure you've seated the crown race properly? Got a pic of the gap you're talking about? Sheesh @Valbrona, now look what you've done... Causing widespread panic amongst the rank and file. :)

My C60 is an early one, it has an alloy crown race. I will take a photo tonight and post tomorrow. My gap is bigger than your C59 and not acceptable in my opinion. Anyway, we should focus on your C59 and the changes you have made rather than a fork/frame gap.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok... moving to the top of the front end... here's how she now looks...

Full Deda alloy, no more carbon. And very classic shape. The bars are Deda Zero 100 SHALLOW, although the name is really dumb because they're not even shallow by today's standards. They are a classic bend with a drop of 135mm and a reach of 80mm. They replaced the carbon 3T LTD bars so yet again I took a hit in the weight department but stiffened up the front end substantially. A good tradeoff. Weight of the Dedas: 264g. Weight of the 3T's: 180g. Weight gain: 84g

These bars from the side have almost an identical profile to the 3T's, however if you were to look at them from the top, the bars start curving inwards to the stem sooner than the 3T's. It provides more room for your wrists while sprinting or climbing aggressively in the drops (the latter of which I do very rarely). Anyway, in combination with the stem, the added stiffness in the front end was very welcome and don't mind taking a hit for the weight. Plus, I think they look just awesome. All classic bars do in my opinion.

The stem is clearly Deda, 130mm, -8 degrees and weighs 136g with bolts. The 3T -17 degree, 120mm Arx Team I did the initial build with was 132g. Another weight hit of 4grams. Ha.

Bartape has gone through many interations. But right now, and this is my favorite for this bike, it's Arundel Gecko tape. And underneath it I put the oh so heavy Fizik Gel, then wrap it very tightly. The girth is perfect and feels firm, not mushy or rubbery. But... another weight hit as I used Fizik Softouch Microtec in the initial build without any gel. So add another 60 grams or so for that. I also used some silicone filler to fill the backside cable groove in the bars so probably added another 5g for that. I used to use old cut lengths of cable housing to fill in unused grooves, but found this silicone "epoxy" at a hobby store that mixes up and you can just mold it right into the grooves to get a perfect filler without having the hard edge of the ends of a cut cable housing underneath, which was never an issue, but this new way is better.

Enough talk, more pics...

My custom stem cap that I had made for me after many interations of design to get the font and the Colnago "Club" just right. Love this touch... so it carries over from the initial build... I even painted the top edge of the 5mm spacer underneath the stem to darken it up a bit since the initial edge was a standout light grey. It's the details boss, the details...

And I'm sure you've noticed that the group is now the new 2015 Campy Super Record. Have to comment on the feel of the hoods. Same basic shape but the rubber is definitely a different compound and more textured and I really like the feel over the prior hoods. It's firmer, less cushy, but I like that. Solid...

I pretty much always cut the steertube a hair above the top of the stem, then add a 5mm spacer between the stem and the top cap. The "hair above" the stem provides a lip for the spacer to anchor on and not move around, and I cut it there just because I like full length contact between the stem and steertube.

And now for a couple full frontals before moving on to somewhere else...
The oh so lovely headtube...

And the bars and cabling...

Ok... that's enough for this post. More to come.
Last edited by Calnago on Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RyanH

by RyanH

Attention to detail here is superb. Love the red spacer below as well as tension bolt.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

tids0009

by tids0009

Brilliant!! Love the fine details, like painting the top of the carbon spacer black to match better with the top cap and stem. I have done the same thing on mine. I too always have a 5mm spacer above the stem to give the stem full contact, I think it looks nice too.

Great post. Can't wait to see the rest.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Where I plant my ass... Right now it's a Specialized Romin Pro, they are on all my road bikes. The shape works for me. The initial build when I presented it had a Prologo saddle (Scratch Nack Pro) and it weighed a hefty 188 grams. I thought I would like it, and since I wanted a Euro build, I went with that. I was just tired of the Fizik Aliante I had been using and was looking for a change. Well, never did even try the Prologo as I just didn't like the aesthetics. It was just too loud. The other saddle I did try immediately was the San Marco Regale FX Carbon. Looked the business but after 100 miles it wasn't for me. Selle Italia Kit Carbonio SLR was what eventually made it on to the bike until this last summer when I made the switch to the Romin Pro. The Romin Pro (143mm) weighs 155 grams. Whuhoo!... less than the initial build by 33 grams but more than the Selle Italia by about the same amount. Wouldn't care if it weighed more, my ass appreciates it.

Oh, the seatpost was a fabulous find. I noticed when I built up my Trek that the seatpost sat very nicely centered in the rails of the saddle when I had everything dialed with the correct height and setback. The angle of my Emonda's seat tube is the same as my C59, and the offset was 20mm. Well, this Deda Superzero post has a 21mm offset and fits perfectly. Plus it matches the Deda front end, and I like the cockpits to match, unless the frame requires a proprietary seatpost or it comes with a matching one that works better. My C59 came with the matte standard Colnago post (and 15mm offset), but even on the initial build I wanted everything to be 3T, and I liked the Dorico LTD that was out at the time. It weighed 184g. The Deda weighs 217g. I'm getting fat... another 33 grams added since the initial build 5 years ago.

And while we're checking out this area, lets have a close look at what makes a Colnago C-Series bike what it is... the lugs. In this case... the seatcluster. It truly is a thing of beauty with all the tubes coming to a perfect intersection...

And one more profile from the drive side...

Ok... we're getting there... need a break. More tomorrow.
Last edited by Calnago on Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

Pure beauty that's what this bike is :thumbup: Lovin the fact that you've changed from 3T to Deda parts, I think they are working better with the fonts on your C59 than the more angularly 3T logos. Only thing me personally would change is the saddle. It would be just not compatible with my conscience to match parts from different bicycle manufacturers :wink: Although the Romin goes very well with the bike and most likely is a very good saddle! I guess that's just some kind of religious matter :lol:

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

Calnago wrote:Image

Are the pivot bolts on the 2015 Ergopower levers black now? Or is it just from the photo?

eurperg

by eurperg

Very nice detail shots and perfect attention to detail...

Perhaps you could try removing the Specialized logos from the saddle? The Romin shape is very beautiful, but the small white dash in the tip would really irritate me really... I used paint stripper to remove all graphics from my Regale FX Protek, acetone was not enough. The Superzero is also my favourite seat post.

In my opinion the Deda bars have too many logos, 3T Team Stealth is better in that respect. I also removed the top stripe from my Zero100 BoB stem, I think it's better now:

The head tube area in your C59 looks very clean because the cables are not covering the head tube logo. You are crossing cables inside the down tube, am I correct?

Bar tape finishing could be done a bit better, in my opinion the finishing tape shoud not extend beyond the bar tape. ;)

Looking forward to seeing the full side shot!

Look565w

by Look565w

Bloody fantastic photos, Calnago, thanks for sharing!

I have to agree with you wholeheartedly in regards to the lugs of the C-Series, that's the main reason I've been in love with it for so long. Hence also the reason I had a Look 565 as my first carbon bike. It just raises my pulse whenever I see lugs on a bike :D

Like you, I have the Deda Shallow bars on my Lynsey & I love it. Tried a few "classic" bend variants - 3T, Ritchey classic etc, but the Deda is my favourite without doubt!
Now, I have a set of Zipp SL-88 classic, it'll be interesting to see how that compares.

For a 5 year old bike, you've kept it in tip top condition. How did you find dealing with your matt finish? Did you have to apply anything special when cleaning it?

Cheers & keep them coming!

PSM

by PSM

Nice photos of a nice bike. I agree with the stem.
Last edited by PSM on Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

tids0009 wrote:
Valbrona wrote:What's that big gap between the bottom of the head tube and the crown for? Suspension?

Tell me about it. My C60 frame has a massive gap, I tried to find a lower stack crown race to bring the forks closer to the frame but couldn't find one. Now I am thinking of getting the existing one machined to reduce the gap.

Something not right.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

LorneMalvo wrote:Are the pivot bolts on the 2015 Ergopower levers black now? Or is it just from the photo?

Yes they're black now.

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

Mockenrue wrote:
LorneMalvo wrote:Are the pivot bolts on the 2015 Ergopower levers black now? Or is it just from the photo?

Yes they're black now.

That's nice, good to know. Never paid attention to that detail before.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fogman

by fogman

I like the changes you made. Lighter is not always better! What is the final weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.