Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

God Speed!

fogman

by fogman

Did your frame come back from Calfee? How did the repair turn out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Haven't even sent it off yet. Have been recovering all summer. Just got back on the bike a couple of weeks ago. Building the C60 now. Will strip and send off the C59 for repair in a little while and will be sure to post the results of the repair back here. My crash turned out to be more of a nightmare than I thought. Collarbone healed, but frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) developed in the interim and I'm now doing regular physiotherapy trying to get full range of motion back. It's a slow process which could take months. Had I known this would have happened I'd never have been testing just how fast I could take that corner. Stupid is as stupid does. Hopefully I've learned my lesson.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dj97223

by dj97223

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I've had that before (both shoulders, different times) and it can take many months to resolve -- in the meantime, it makes reaching the jersey pocket quite difficult! I hope you heal soon.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

cl9k24la

by cl9k24la

Ha! Also diagnosed with "frozen shoulder" during my fractured clavicle recovery...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@cl9k24la: Did your frozen shoulder develop while it was immobilized after surgery? How long did it take to "thaw it out"? And yes @dj97223... my left rear jersey pockets are pretty much useless to me at this point, unless I bring my mom along to pull stuff out and put it back in whenever I need it :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

cl9k24la

by cl9k24la

Yes "frozen" shoulder was caused by being "immobilized".....still doing physical therapy to gain range of motion back....

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok... so time to update the repair status of my C59. I am sorry to say I cannot recommend Ruckus Composites. I didn't send it off to them until February 23rd. After talking to them on the phone and specifically asking if they knew what matte clear finish that Colnago uses, they said no, but once they had it in hand they were sure they could match it. They also sent this in an email after I sent them pics of the damage..."this is something we can completely repair for you and have it look great! We match the weave and graphics and can nail the matte."

Plus, I spoke with Colnago America and they said they had good results with Ruckus as well. So, rather than stick with tried and true Calfee, I decided to give them a chance. I sent it off. They received it the next day and sent an email saying "We will be able to get this done in no time".

Once they had checked it all out on the following Monday, they informed me that the chainstay was indeed the only damage sustained which was good to hear. I did not hear from them again until March 30, when I got an email saying it was done. I paid them and they shipped it out and I got it the next day.

The packing was horrific. I had taken great pains to ensure that the frame was solidly embedded in the box upon shipping with paper, foam, etc. all around. They seemed to just jam it in the box without making sure the seat tube was well below the plane of the top of the box, a spot that can be very prone to damage during the shipping process.

Here's a short video of how I received it... top of seat tube above the plane of the top of the box... not good...
https://vimeo.com/219397535

So, once I was relieved that the seat tube hadn't been damaged, I proceeded to pull it out of the box. I immediately felt the roughness of the top tube which I know was very smooth when I sent it away. WTF.... I thought. Overspray??... are you kidding me. Nope, definitely overspray. Not only that, they hadn't even removed the Project Number of the job that was still on masking tape on the top tube. Not only was there a fine overspray on the top tube and headtube, there was some not so fine junk on the top tube as well... very visible globules of something...
While you can't really see the fine overspray in the pics, trust me, it was rough and noticeable to the touch. But you can definitely see the globules of crap on the top tube...
First, the project number still on the top tube... really?...

Then, the globules of crap on the top tube.... not to mention the roughness from overspray on the top tube and headtube which you can't see, but can feel...

Well, after receiving it on the Friday, I decided to wait until Monday to call them as I was pretty disgusted at that point and thought a cool down period would be wise. So, I sent them some pics on Monday morning and got an email back saying he was "out running errands" but once he got back to the office he'd pull up the pics and get back to me with guidance etc. I fully expected a return phone call that afternoon. I received nothing until Friday afternoon, and it was an email. What followed was a series of emails that was professionally quite unnerving really, and they wanted me to send the frame back, but my confidence level was so low at this point I decided to leave well enough alone.

Now, remember that I had specifically asked up front about the matte finish etc., at which time they were brimming with confidence that they could match it. Well... what do you think... is this a close match?...

It's shiny, and super smooth... like a semi-gloss matte if I had to describe it. In any case, it does not resemble the original finish at all. I wasn't expecting perfection, but after talking to them, I was expecting better than this. Plus the overspray on the top tube and the headtube. Do they not know how to mask properly. Really quite unbelievable.

Also, I mentioned that the packing job is as much a reflection on their quality of work as the repair itself, since even if the repair was perfect if the frame comes back damaged as a result of a very poor packing job (which it very well could have in this case), then that is on them. I said I certainly hope the guy who packed it is made aware of it etc., as it really does raise the question as to the kinds of people they are hiring and the training they get. The first response was "I don't know who packed it". I said "What?... you have like 6 employees there... can't you just poke your head out and say 'Who packed the C59 on Thursday, come over here, I've got a video to go over with you'." Basically the level of customer service and professionalism at this point was completely out the window.

Now, up front I had mentioned that this particular bike had garnered a fair amount of attention online and that I would be showing off their work when all was said and done if that was ok, hoping this might lead to perhaps some extra attention to achieve perfection. If this was it, then that's the last piece of work Ruckus will ever receive from me. Stick with Calfee.

Oh, here's a thread from the Paceline forum which I was directed to by someone after I had already sent my frame off. I wish I had seen this thread before, because the comments made in it by @SoCalSteve and @Salesguy pretty much echo my experience as well...
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=197262
Last edited by Calnago on Mon May 29, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Oh dear, sorry to see this. Very frustrating. I hope you get a satisfactory resolution.

LionelB

by LionelB

How much did they charge for this POS job ? Pretty unreal as I paid 50 euros to have my F8 crack repaired perfectly.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

It's a bummer you had such an experience with Ruckus. I don't really know what it is with small businesses in this area - lots of them seem to work on their own schedule and to their own standard - which can be suspect.

That said, the Paceline thread doesn't seem to have nearly as much substance as it has cryptic anecdotes. I'd say typically, Ruckus is a little sluggish and their pricing can vary quite a lot - but they usually get the job done well. My wife's Izoard looks great... but it came to us in the wrong finish the first time. :oops:

Seedster

by Seedster

I had a great experience with Calfeee. I would give them a call first. If it is just about paint, velocolour in Canada has done some amazing work!

Sorry for the bad luck!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Imaking20 wrote:...That said, the Paceline thread doesn't seem to have nearly as much substance as it has cryptic anecdotes. I'd say typically, Ruckus is a little sluggish and their pricing can vary quite a lot - but they usually get the job done well. My wife's Izoard looks great... but it came to us in the wrong finish the first time. :oops:

Those cryptic anecdotes rang very true to me. My first hand experience with them basically corroborates what both SoCalSteve and SalesGuy were expressing in that thread. I'm sure people have had good work done by them as well. But they will never get any more business from me nor can I recommend them to anyone else.
Last edited by Calnago on Tue May 30, 2017 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

LionelB wrote:How much did they charge for this POS job ? Pretty unreal as I paid 50 euros to have my F8 crack repaired perfectly.

Lionel, I paid them $465, including shipping (and the wonderful packing job). To be fair, I do believe that they did the right stuff as far as the actual structural repair goes... scarf joint, layered way back from where the actual crack was visible, etc., and the graphics were well done as well. But still... overspray at the other end of the frame, crap pack job, and then the handling of the issue after I received it all add up to one company I would not do business with again.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Seedster wrote:I had a great experience with Calfeee. I would give them a call first. If it is just about paint, velocolour in Canada has done some amazing work!

Sorry for the bad luck!

I've had good experiences with Calfee as well, as have others I know. I should have gone with them in the first place. Just thought I'd give Ruckus a try. Win some, you lose some.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com