Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Pretty much 5 years ago (Feb 2011) I posted my Colnago C59 to this forum. Here is the link to that thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=82807
During those five years it has evolved to the point of there not being a single component that is the same (except for the brakes) since my initial post, so I feel it warrants it's own new thread, along with an explanation of the changes and why I made them. Plus, lots of updated pics and new detailed build list. I'll probably post it all in several threads as I write them over the next day or two...

In the past I've just posted everything all at once, but I fear I may never post anything if I wait for it all to be done. So, just a couple of teaser photos to start... and I'll post the rest in stages as I sit at the computer.

Lots of good Colnago stuff happening on the forum these days :thumbup:

Last edited by Calnago on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

markyboy

by markyboy

I remember when you put the original thread up,lovely bike.
I had the matt black as well :thumbup:
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Look565w

by Look565w

:thumbup:

Calnago, is that Shimano pedals I see? :wink:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

They are. Initially I went all "Euro" for my first posted build on WW. Used it as an excuse to try the LOOK Keo Ti Blades. They were on there for all of about 100 miles before switching back to my trusty Dura-Ace pedals. Weight added back... 62g over the Looks. Yes, since this is WW I will reconcile all the weight differences as well as I go through the changes.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Look565w

by Look565w

Calnago wrote:They are. Initially I went all "Euro" for my first posted build on WW. Used it as an excuse to try the LOOK Keo Ti Blades. They were on there for all of about 100 miles before switching back to my trusty Dura-Ace pedals. Weight added back... 62g over the Looks. Yes, since this is WW I will reconcile all the weight differences as well as I go through the changes.

No worries, only teasing ........... since you started teasing first :D

I'm looking forward to the pictures ............. please!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Tease away. I cry alone. :)

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

One of the best Colnago builts I know, looking forward for the updated version!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

tids0009

by tids0009

That looks unreal Colnago. Love it. Brilliant teaser photo's too.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

What's that big gap between the bottom of the head tube and the crown for? Suspension?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That's how they is. Just a closeup pic showing some good detail.

(Hey Joe, this guy on WW spotted the "gap". Think anyone will notice the front wheel drive motor? He thinks it's for suspension. Lol")

tids0009

by tids0009

Valbrona wrote:What's that big gap between the bottom of the head tube and the crown for? Suspension?

Tell me about it. My C60 frame has a massive gap, I tried to find a lower stack crown race to bring the forks closer to the frame but couldn't find one. Now I am thinking of getting the existing one machined to reduce the gap.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That's just the normal gap that is present. Nothing abnormal. But wait, did your C60 come with a steel crown race? The new ones I've seen are just molded carbon, which is the crown race. Lots of manufacturers going that way now. At first I thought WTF but when you think about it it just sits directly in the inner race of the bearing and moves with the bearing surface, so there is no wear occurring from rubbing.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

If your C60 is an early one it could very well still be using the steel crown race. I've only seen very recent ones. Are you sure you've seated the crown race properly? Got a pic of the gap you're talking about? Sheesh @Valbrona, now look what you've done... Causing widespread panic amongst the rank and file.
Last edited by Calnago on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Loved the original C59 you posted... looking forward to this.

On a personal belief (and I hold true to this) - that gap is unacceptable. :(
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

LOL! I want my money back!!
Mind The Gap! And I'm not even British.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com